Would you support restrictions on the types of muzzleloading firearms allowed during

Do you support restrictions on the types of firearms legal during blackpowder season?

• Yes

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • No

Votes: 30 63.8%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 6 12.8%

• Total voters

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What you couldn't get anything stirred up with your link to the new Remington rifles so you thought you would try this?

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Nope, why would someone???

Are you going to get archers to quit using releases, go back to recurves???

It's none of my concern how another hunter wants to hunt...

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No...makes no difference to me what others use.

I do wish the wildlife departments would get their naming conventions straightened out...same as crc referred to it as "blackpowder deer season"...makes no sense to refer to something as a "blackpowder season" when BP subs and modern smokeless powders are by far the most used type of powder in these modern ML hunting seasons.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
^^^^i expect most states wildlife deptartments call them "muzzleloader seasons" ,,,I always found it weird that NC calls it blackpowder, for the reasons you state and the fact that I can load BP in most any of my modern weapons shell cases,,,,,

Last edited:

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes, and actually I believe NC-WRC changed the name to Blackpowder within the recent few years...used to be Muzzleloader.

At any rate, IMO all of this sort of hair splitting the WRC does seems silly...call it "deer season" and let people use what they want, period.
Many center fire calibers are not as good as / no better than some of the modern smokeless powder 'ML's' now available anyway.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes, originally it was called muzzleloading season here. Then when it was changed that archery equip could be used during the concurrent season it was changed to primitive weapons. I am not sure when it went to blackpowder, that was after my watch.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
As long as it loads from the muzzle, I am in favor of letting each individual hunt with their weapon of choice during the established muzzleloader season. It used to simply called "Muzzleoader" season for decades, but I guess that was not good enough and some assclown could not keep his pecker skinners off of it had to change it to "blackpowder" season.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It was just changed last year wasn't it? When they expanded to the use of any pre-1898 weapons?.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, I think that's it...it was recent for sure...I recall just shaking my head at it being such an unnecessary / illogical name change given all the forms of MLs and powder now involved

D.L.Frye

Button Buck
Personally, I think the only thing that should be "set in stone" is a start and end date on the season. A dead deer is a dead deer.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Why not tie the individual seasons to the normal range of the weapon and give the first few days of that particular season to the ones who accept the larger challenge. That was the intent of the original "primitive weapons" season anyway. For example, say that blackpowder season is a month long and you shoot a iron-sighted sidelock. Most traditional sidelocks are 100 yard guns....give them the first X amount of days. After that, maybe scoped weapons and/or the BP cartridge guns come in with them for X number of days. The remainder of the season, everything muzzleloader is allowed.

Same thing with archery. If an archer is willing to accept the challenge and limitations of traditional gear, why not reward them by having the first X number of days alone in the woods to try? Again, the original intent of the season. Then allow compounds and crossbows into the mix for the rest of that season.

The State's mission is to harvest animals to control the population and keep the insurance lobby happy, right? They could tack a week each onto the beginning of both existing seasons, increase harvest numbers, and never miss a beat.

DFisher

Eight Pointer
Personally, I wish they would eliminate muzzleloader or blackpowder season, just go from archery to rifle. My longest kills in the last several years have been with my ML anyway, including a 10-pointer at almost 200 yards. People will still hunt ML if they want to, just like some use bows during rifle season. JMO.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Personally, I wish they would eliminate muzzleloader or blackpowder season, just go from archery to rifle. My longest kills in the last several years have been with my ML anyway, including a 10-pointer at almost 200 yards. People will still hunt ML if they want to, just like some use bows during rifle season. JMO.

Yep I feel the same way.

If they are going to have that season it needs to be something with a side lock and of pre 1898 design and age only.

Going out there with a smokless front stuffer is just the same as a 3006.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Yep I feel the same way.

If they are going to have that season it needs to be something with a side lock and of pre 1898 design and age only.

Going out there with a smokless front stuffer is just the same as a 3006.

I don't know why I am surprised at this but I definitely agree with you. The only merit I see in modern muzzleloaders is for safety reasons in flat territory as restricted by the rules. In some cases a rifled slug is probably a better choice. Other than that I don't see what the attraction is. Getting one with a muzzleloader just doesn't carry the same esteem it used to.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Different weapons seasons results in increased sales of the weapons which increases sales tax receipts. It also brings in different hunters. I would guess there are economic benefits of keeping the different seasons.

buffleheadnc2

Hunt with what you want and so will I. Why would you want to possibly discourage anyone from hunting because they cant use the weapon they want. I think as we get older we look for more of a challenge I for example have gone from compound to recurve bows and when gun season is in I am mostly handgun hunting now but when I do use a rifle it is likely to be my ruger 44 carbine. I love my in line bp rifles but just got a cva optima v2 muzzleloader handgun which is likely what I will be using from now on. Every one likes and enjoys different things and intrest change. plain and simple the more weapon options you have can only bring more people into hunting and help keep things intresting for those that have been doing it along time.

Last edited:

jim67

Eight Pointer
I like the the season the way it is. I know modern muzzleloaders arent like the old cap N ball, if thats what you like go for it, but I love to get one with my CVA more than the center fire rifle. Just me. If I had the patience to build a load for the traditional cap N ball then that would be a treat for me to get one with.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If I had the patience to build a load for the traditional cap N ball then that would be a treat for me to get one with.
jim67, I'm not picking on you personally but your post brings up what those who hunt with primitive weapons fear most....technology taking away the challenge. Honing the skills to get close and the patience to "work up a load" on the range has been replaced by 209 primers, pellets, scopes, compounds and crossbows. Nowadays you take your chosen weapon out for 30 minutes or so a week before season to make sure the scope/sights are still on from last year and go hunting opening morning. No time, no desire. Kinda takes the hunt out of hunting for me....

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
To the original post, for most of us, wouldn't that be like ordering and paying for a modular home, then lobby for the development you plan to locate it to only allow stick built homes? Kind of a stupid question, in my opinion.

Last edited: