WNC Trout fishing (Huge Rainbow) - GoPro adventures

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
This was some of the most pristine water I have fished. Cold, clear, relatively low fishing pressure, great hatches and large fish!

Enjoy

[video=youtube;zmttytQc_hg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmttytQc_hg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Southside

Ten Pointer
When your say type, are you talking fishing designation or stone type? It's an undesignated water and a freestone stream.

Fishing designation. I wasn't aware we had any undesignated trout waters but I'm not up to speed as I should be either. To be honest I would not have known to ask about the stone type. Thanks

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Fishing designation. I wasn't aware we had any undesignated trout waters but I'm not up to speed as I should be either. To be honest I would not have known to ask about the stone type. Thanks

Yes sir, undesignated only means that the state hasn't designated it for management and public use. In this case, it was privately owned water, we were given access to fish.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, those kind of trout don't come from public water often. Not in that size stream. That looks like it was a blast.

Blue Highway is great too.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah, those kind of trout don't come from public water often. Not in that size stream. That looks like it was a blast.

Blue Highway is great too.

The owners said they haven't stocked in years, however up and down stream from them, is managed by the state. They just have the benefit of having a good population of trout and being able to keep people out of there and from poaching. There was a very healthy population of wild trout. Awesome little stream.

I also had an enormous otter, swim about 5 yards from my leg, which would explain the bite taken out of the back of one those fish.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
Awesome video and some beautiful trout. I know of a stream just like that but i do believe your fishing a different area. That brown was a monster by the way. Ive only seen a few come from nc that size.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Awesome video and some beautiful trout. I know of a stream just like that but i do believe your fishing a different area. That brown was a monster by the way. Ive only seen a few come from nc that size.

You thought the same thing I did. In the water I thought it was a Brown, but the color features in person, looked like a Rainbow. However I have never seen a rainbow with a kype like that fish had. It had brown trout features, yet a rainbow coloration. The consensus was that it was a rainbow because of the upper specks, and the colored stripe where normally a brown would be full of specks up and down it's side, but I still wonder if it was a hybrid of sort.

Last edited:

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
I really would have liked to have seen that trout in person. I re watched your video several times and i know exactly what your saying. It could very easily be some sort of hybrid. In my opinion i think it is a brown and just doesnt have a lot of spots. I have been trout fishing for about 15 years and have caught a ton of trout. Ive only seen 2 ever that had a coloration any where close to that and both of those fish came from the lufte' in cherokee where majority of the fish are stock fish.

bugg

Eight Pointer
Definitely an interesting looking fish. Wish there was a real good pic of it. Nice video, though. What was the rig they liked best that day?

Also, just for my memory's sake, don't undesignated trout waters fall under hatchery supported stream regs?

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Definitely an interesting looking fish. Wish there was a real good pic of it. Nice video, though. What was the rig they liked best that day?

Also, just for my memory's sake, don't undesignated trout waters fall under hatchery supported stream regs?

I said undesignated in terms of state designation but I guess it would actually be private waters, who with proper permit, can supply their own regulations. This was single hook, artificial, catch and release. As for setup, they were hitting any and all. Big boys hit big flies, and standard nymphs like pheasant tail and such were working great as well. March Browns were also hatching like crazy.

bugg

Eight Pointer
Man, gotta love it when the big boys are hitting top water! Good work!

I'm heading back home to Haywood County tomorrow. Hoping I can slip off for a few hours to a blue line. If so, I'll report back.

Last edited:

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
Ill be up in boone fishing all weekend! Hopefully the weather cooperates and I can put my gf and brother on the fish!