Brick BBQ Smoker

2duckdawg

You need to use fire MORTAR or heat mortar when installing the fire bricks or it will come apart from the heat. The stuff is expensive but well worth the cost. I have owned a bbq restaurant for 20 years and have to reline my fire box every 5 or six years. If I used regular mortar it would have to be relined yearly. Good luck.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
A couple without the canopy. Looks better in the open. Getting exited about getting done and cleaning up the mess.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
Since I'm going the roof this way with the stepped chimney now, I'm going to have a cap over the opening. I will just cover part of the opening if it needs damper. The more I read online it seems that dampers are not used that much on this type of smoker.

Last edited:

Southside

Ten Pointer
Since I'm going the roof this way with the stepped chimney now, I'm going to have a cap over the opening. I will just cover part of the opening if I needs damper. The more I read online it seems that dampers are not used that much on this type of smoker.

Be a lot simpler that way too.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
It seems to keep changing as I build it. I was originally going to have a flat slab as the top. Im just winging it.

Last edited:

crittergitter

Ten Pointer
If you need a hand I'm there! Im not a brick mason but I can bring something in a mason jar if that counts but Im sure then your smoker would be crooked! LOL

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
Had to pressure wash the house yesterday after work so I only had time to mix a half bag and lay a few more brick on top. I'm thinking one more course on top before the cap, then on to the grill.
Those of you with a brick smoker, what size flue are you running and when/if you use a damper what are the measurements that it is left open. I don't want to choke it down too much and not get enough flow. One more course should leave an opening about one brick wide and two bricks long.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
I think I'm done with the chimney. I just left it open for now and can cover the opening with a piece of metal if it needs to be slowed down. I topped it with a piece of slate I had.
I'm going to see how a set if wood doors hold up for the top. Hopefully they will last a season or two. We will just have to see.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
Looks real good.

When's the cook-out?

Sent from wherever I was at the time...

Well as a matter if fact I've got some Boston Butts warming on the counter now.

20d9b52c0188cf977087e296dd1b31ee.jpg

Last edited:

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
While I was cooking today I got the racks put in and the brick for the grill arranged. I didn't get a pic of the grill but cropped one best I could to try to show it. Still need the bottom door, a baffle, and a couple weeks to cure.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
Got the grill done today. Drilled a few drain/air vents in the back wall to drain water and feed the coals air.

26e8f684b545df33e82bce013ef87190.jpg

37042de6f97e614f4497c50271eeab72.jpg

1bede21e890c3b3ac9b6eeb50333dda9.jpg

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That is one sweet set up, you have the right to brag on that accomplishment. Great job.