MuddyGirl and her Sister are Gettin Ready.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Well, getting ready for hunting season 2015 already!

Out to the range today with MuddyGirl27 and her younger Sister, no handle yet but we'll figure one out.

So, MuddyGirl27 has this to say about her pink and purple and black Savage Compact .243, "I believe in it." Hmmmmm....she's seemingly a bit older than her almost 15 years.

Anyway, last year we zeroed at 25m and checked at 50 and 150.....she took a one shot doe at 230ish yards with a single shot. Today she fine tuned at 50m, throwing on about 3/4" of right adjustment and then proceeded directly to the 150m gong.....continuing to wear it out. Afterwhich, she threw on about 40 clicks of elevation in the adjustable turret on the practice rifle, a Ruger 1022. And? pretty much wore out the 150m gong with half a 333 pack of Federal Target rim fires.

As for LilSis.....first time out in 2 years and she spent most of her time with the 1022 on the 30m swingers. Getting much more confident and can regularly spin the 3" gong using the oak cross sticks from a seated position. Not too bad on the 1.5" swinger at that range either.

Up on the bench, LilSis fired her first shot from a true deer rifle. Borrowing MuddyGirl27s Savage, she put a round at 9 oclock, one inch from the bull at 50m. She said, "That Savage ain't too bad to shoot. What caliber is my Mini14 going to be and when is it coming?" Hmmmmmmm.....she's seemingly a bit readier for deer season than I expected.

But.....I'm excited.....we have about 1500 rounds of .22LR to expend for practice this summer and I am fairly sure we'll use most of them between now an the beginning of Gun Season in SC. (Planning a family hunt with Dad along to help with stand time so both girls can hunt up to full time on the same trip) and I am also sure I gotta start layin in .243 Silvertip Ammo and a healthy supply of Remington Corloct or Federal Fusion .223s.

What a great summer I'm going to have and come fall, two healthy youngins to drag, gut, skin and process any deer taken!

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Great stuff!!! I have a new rifle that should be here this week, once it gets in my oldest and i are gonna put in some range time. She'll have her pick between a marlin 336 carbine 30/30 and a ruger 44 carbine. Between those 2 she should be all set for 125 yards. Last season she wasn't able to hit the target consistently enough, so hopefully this season she'll be ready after more trigger time and practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Cool. I wanted to start early. Get em both (me three) some extra trigger time this year. We are going to strive for one range trip every two weeks the rest of the year. The 1022 should get the bulk of the workout but the Savage and soon, the Mini14 will go each trip too.

Of the 3030 and 44 mag, I might choose the 44 to hunt with just cause its different.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
More getting ready.

Sharpened up MuddyGirl27s Blaze orange folder and set it back in her pack for the season. Now that's out of the way, worked on a sheath for an old Western L66 for LilSis. (Also a similar sheath for a Damascus Tanto for the bosses retirement.

Good 4 oz leather and a simple design. No stitching....just reliable old Chicago screws through three layers and cinched tight as they'll go.

A bit more work to do on the inside of the sheath for the tanto (about 400 layers of 15N20 nickel and 1095 carbon hammered in the rain drop pattern). I made this sheath a bit wide as it'll need a liner to protect the inside of the folded edge against that razor sharp point skiving out a groove on the inside. Once that's in and secured, that sheath will be doubly stiff.

Now off to put a fine shaving edge on that good old 1980s issue L66 and melt some more wax into the leather handle as its just a touch dry but not loose.

c7JYDGQ.jpg

0ovnwVj.jpg

qkKtiwU.jpg

buzzcut29

Awesome work... I tried to absorb as much of those old school ways from my great grandfather before his passing. I wish I could have learned so much more, or been a bit older and more capable of understanding...

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Picked up a fine 180 series mini14 for LilSis today. Gotta get some ammo. Gonna suprize her at family dinner sunday. I need a scope mount and a 5 rd mag here soon too! Huntin season is coming together jes finest!

Last edited:

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds like you have some girls interested in the upcoming hunting season but it would be hard for you to convince me that they are having more fun than you are. LOL. Congratulations on having two girls that want to hunt.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
I am loving it. Got tons of hunting buddies between Dad and the Girls. LilSis gets her rifle tonight, knife too (not sharpened yet) so I'll get some pics. Sort of an way early Birthday gift, hers ain't till Nov but she'll be needin her tools now.

MuddyGirl's Birthday is June and she's been hintin, not subtly neither, at a Pink Camo rifle case, Pink Camo sling and 15,500,424 additional rounds of .22LR and .234 Win.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Woo Hoo....!!!

Nosin around the house I found an inexpensive but solid 3x9x40 scope and two sets of rings. A bit more nosin around on GunBroker won me an S&K Scope Mount for the first generation 180 series Mini-14. So the grand total to scope LilSis's new Deer rifle will be $15.00! Pays not ta thro stuff away or swap it off too quick.

Anyways, we hope to get MuddyGirl27 to the range today with the 1022 and her Savage deer rifle for practice and then tomorrow, LilSis out to get some practice with the 1022 and her Mini14 though this one still wearing iron sights.

And the first hunt is coming together. Got some calls to make to the Low Country. I think sometime in late Sept or early Oct, after the corn is off, we are planning to take 4 kids hunting. My two granddaughters and from work, (a friend who bought the 65 C10 from me) is flying his boys in from CA for their first ever deer hunt! First he has to get his weapons shipped here.

Dad is coming down to help with guiding and mentoring the kids and I'll be inviting my Sister along too for her third season in the stands. Except for my sister, it'll be kids camp, most of the Adults there to help the kids, sit stands with them and for back up shooting in case needed.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Well, the Girls went to a birthday party today so their range time is tomorrow. That left today for me. So off to the range alone and I am back into the training regimine from when I was young. Couple shots benched at 25 and 200m to check zeros and then all the work is off hand. Burning down my old ammo for practice. For now I finally ran through the 220g 30-06 loads in that light weight Merkel. Be nice to get busy next time with the 150s I loaded for practice! But, all my practice is done off hand on a 14" steel at 100m. Some of the old skill is coming back..

As for LilSis's gun. I zeroed here Mini-14. I shoulda bought one of these long ago and never wasted money on 4 ARs that got sold. Hands down, the Mini14 is a better gun for me. Light, quick, slim, shaped like a real rifle and has a fine cheekpiece like a real rifle should. And, it don't jam like a dayum AR.

I got a feeling that when we gets to the range with the Girls and the Mini tomorrow, 100 rounds of 223 ammo ain't gonna be enough. Its on at 25 and 100m so the girls should have a ball!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
MuddyGirl27 out at the range today.....4 shots touching benched at 25m with her Savage 243 and she promptly went to the 100 and 150 meter bench with the 243 and 1022 and spent the rest of her time working the 12" gongs with both rifles. No problems ringing steel from the bench with the 243. She can allways ring the 100 with the 1022 but the 150 is a spoty thing as its a bit far for the old 1022. But, she's also practicing off hand/standing shooting with the 1022 at 100 meters and hitting the gong occasionally. Not bad for a gun a 200 lb trigger!

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
My oldest just picked a .243 savage 99 off the gun rack and wants to try it instead of the 30-30. Luckily it was my gun rack so i didn't have buy it lol.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
That ol 99 is a wonderful rifle. Yer youngin will prolly love it. Theys a bit heavy so the kick will be way less than the 3030. Betcha $5 after shootin it you will have "lost" a rifle from your battery an he/she will have gained one!

Last edited:

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Lol no doubt, one of my favorite rifles is a 99 in 308. Every season i have to take atleast one deer with the old girl. For a lever gun those 99s are just plain tack drivers. Which Savage is Muddygirl27 shooting?? Hard to beat a Savage outa box even compared to high end rifles the less expensive Savages hold their own.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Compact pink black and purple muddygirl edition. Picked it on sale with scope for 300 at walhell last season.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Nah.....walmart don't sell the special trigger ones. It'll be a standard 111 with short stock and non adjustable trigger. Has a drop out mag though and came scoped and ready with a bushnell for that price....so we didn't need the fancy trigger.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
For about $60 you can order that accu-trigger, from the sound of things she doesn't need it but after shooting a few of my rifles with them I'll always get one if i can. Those are bar none the best triggers out from the factory and easily compare to match grade Timneys. And there isnt much out there you can buy for $60 and make that big of an improvement.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
She's good. Don't want to invest much in a Savage bolt action.....they are fair to good rifles but not great ones.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You can adjust the standard triggers to be almost perfect and stay safe. If you adjust it too much, safety is out the window...but it doesnt take much on those to make a world of difference. Dropped mine right to around 2 lbs....and she will scare you everytime.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I agree, fine on my long range toys but dont think the kids can handle anything that light.