Food plot help

JWH15

Six Pointer
Guys, I've got some land that was planted in pines about 10-12 years ago with logging roads circling the pines. It gets a good amount of sunlight right now because the pines still aren't very big. I'd like to plant these roads with something that will attract deer as well as turkeys. Both are prevalent but there's just not much forage for them at this time in the area? What are some options you guys would recommend planting?

mdunker

Ten Pointer
Oats and clover mix are always a good option. You need to wait until the fall though. The oats make a great cover crop until the clover get established.

Chufa for the turkeys might also work well.

A third option is winter rye.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
I second the clover & oat recommendation. While fall is best, you can still spread some white clover now with decent results. Soybeans & cowpeas also work if you don't want to use these areas as roads.

Throw in a few turnips with the oats or wheat in the fall. On our farm, they seem to prefer the oats early, then the turnip leaves after it starts to get cold in December. Eventually, they'll eat the turnip bulbs too.

Also, don't be surprised if they eat the beans shortly after emergence. You could plant some sunflowers too. Chufa takes a while for the turkeys to find & our deer bedded in it instead of eating it.

Last edited:

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What county are you in ?
If you are east of I 95 or south of US 64 and have sandy soil forget ladino clover. Ladino clover and chicory would be my recommendations if you do not have sandy soil. If you have sandy soil then I would recommend crimson clover , oats and turnips. Both plantings have to be done in the fall. You can try iron clay peas and wgf sorghum in the spring. But you better have at least an acre or the deer will just browse everything down before October.

auburnpack

If you are in clay soils it will be hard to get clover started if there isnt much top soil on that logging rd. Id plant soybeans and just before the leaves turn (end of Aug) spread your clover/oat mix in the beans. Clover/oats will germ and be establised by the leave drop.