1937 Dodge D-5 4 Door Touring Sedan

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
The parts car. Awaiting photos of parts requested, already settled on price shipped so, just confirmation of condition prior to sealing the deal. Also, pinged the shop to see if there is anything else needed as I have short time access to this car and perhaps another out in MN. Fingers crossed!

aQwBmIb.jpg

A Scam I am sure. The above photo was taken in NJ in Oct 2011 by photographer that posted this on his flickr page! He took a bunch more that day of this and of other cars. Gotta be a scam if ya send me an email saying photos can't be loaded right away due to technical difficulties and then 5 minutes later send me an email of a NJ Car professional photo from 4 years ago.....BUSTED!

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Predictive photograpy.

Next hunting season this will be Dad and I heading to the Low Country to link up with Wncdeerhunter for the first hunt of the year....

JZieVIp.jpg

Here we are in the blind.....several beers into the evening hunt.

sJTonlb.jpg

And here, the hunt successful and pulling out of camp right fast cause the ice is melting in the September heat.

vkXrGJn.jpg

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Some more predictive photography.

The average female reaction to a pair of fine mature gentlemen driving a classy old car.....

rJvMPnk.jpg

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Until I find as good and inexpensive a 1937 NC Plate, this one will be the one Ol Bessy runs. MD is her home state for 79 years, hopefully before she's 80 she'll be dressed and movin to NC.

But, once she's rollin and barring any last minute plate changes, look out for a Pearl Blue Widebody HellCat with quiet exhaust, this plate and narrow tires smokin rubber at the 3-4 shift.

gavboiw.jpg

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
And, thanks to Lasttombstone, this one came up tonight. Sorry, small photo, but if I recall, its all original in very fine condition. The 1934 the seller had for the same price was worse shape. But even if redone, I'm tickled! Thanks Sir!

So, I spose NC for around town and MD for when I'm on toll roads?

P4YEyKz.jpg

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
OMG!!!!!! I sold a NOS part and got instantly paid on paypal!!! Welcome to the 21st century!!!!! Wow, thats cool...

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Woo Hoo! Good news, I hope. Running Boards! With luck, no more scammers with borrowed photos of junk cars from years back.

Dad is taking final measurments from the one original running board we have on hand. Smoothie Fabrications of Indian Trail, NC has the boards ready to go. If the measurements are the same (and should be as we are both fairly certain that all 37 Dodge cars, coop-a to le-mo-zeen, used the same length board) they can be final welded friday and immediatly shipped to VA for instalation on Ol Bessy.

And, if we want a more period look I already have good ribbed battleship rubber that can be attached.

Very Excited. I won't get to see the boards right away but as soon as I do, I'll let ya know what I think.

And for those that might need a smooth running board made up in new steel, check em out. Not for Concours I suppose but who cares, Ol Bessy is gonna be a "Runner".

www.smoothiefab.com

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
And, thanks to Lasttombstone, this one came up tonight. Sorry, small photo, but if I recall, its all original in very fine condition. The 1934 the seller had for the same price was worse shape. But even if redone, I'm tickled! Thanks Sir!

So, I spose NC for around town and MD for when I'm on toll roads?

P4YEyKz.jpg

Got it yesterday. Pretty happy even with the price. Its a 5 footer (looks great from 5 feet away.) instead of a 10 footer and thats just darn cool for a 79 year old license plate.

It is very straight, rust free and the black paint is original. The yellow paint is new and hand lettered. Not real steadily lettered but plenty good enough and its goin on the car. Thanks for the lead Lasttombstone! The outside of the car is approaching completion (less color) and the mechanicals are gettin ready to go inbetween and under the frame rails.

I hope to here the first fire over the phone soon, soon!!!!!

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Perfect. Before the great HellStorm of 2016 (30" of snow predicted for Northern VA and Scads of Ice for the Carolina) tonight and tomorrow, Dad got to the shop and measured our original running board.

Just as SmoothieFab indicated, it measures 73.5" tip to tip on the street side. Dad took some additional measurements and came up with Front Width, outer edge to inner edge of about 12". The width of the rear of the running board, from outer edge to inner edge is about 9". The length of the long frame side edge from front tip to the center of the radius at the rear fender, about 59".

We should be good.

I'll be calling SmoothieFab tomorrow and ordering mine up for shipment to VA.

The builder looked over the photos of 37 Dodge boards produced in the past by SmoothieFab and feels confident they are fine quality and just what we need. He also said, the price is durn fine!

So, SmoothieFab, I hope ya ain't iced in tomorrow cause I'm callin. But if ya are iced in I hope ya make good use of the time off, like me.....grab the bow and go Deer huntin! I'll be in the woods after lunch!

Yall stay warm!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Woo Hoo!

Just got off the phone with SmoothieFab. Boards done and boxed. Shipping soon as the weather breaks!

YEAH!!!!!!!!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Went to American Muscle Car, http://stores.ebay.com/American-Muscle-Car-Parts

I think this was the last set, (they no longer show on the fleabay store) but the Part Number they carry them under from their email to me is: "We also have braces under item 290588336467 thanks"

Look sturdy and are universal fit (trim/tweak) for 30s/40s cars.

Ordered em and sent em direct to the shop. No sense paying $150 shipped for one side only and already 80 years old. Figgered to go new here and have both sides the same. After they are final fitted, they can be painted and look as good underneath as the new SmoothieFab boards will.

GQgxkzQ.jpg

Z9BkOLo.jpg

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
I kept hunting and carry battery of four. All else is fodder. I can get guns anytime. There is only one of Dads car.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Found trunk hinges. Ours are pitted and one has been broken for nearly 50 years.

XBrGCeg.jpg

Last edited:

ksherb

Six Pointer
Contributor
Honored to be thinking along the same lines as your Dad. Like I told you last summer - love this car.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks. Bustin a gut to keep it funded. May have to go to Dad soon and take him up on his offer to help.....but I think I can do a bit more financially yet......

And when Dad is behind the wheel again for the first time in over 40 years, and I'm along side watching him and that chrome ram fly down the road, I'll have the true knowin of value.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Dad got the hinges. He said they are so beautiful....excellent "seconds" and is tickled with the look and finish. Off to the shop this week I hope to check out the fit and perhaps to look over the SmoothieFab running boards. Seems they arrived 28 Jan at the shop.

Will report back!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Dad was at the shop yesterday. Said the boards and brackets arrived and look great. Ol Bessy is back in pieces in about 4 locations in the shop. Body in the booth for prime and blocking, front end in the bay finishing up, boards in the office, etc, etc.

Its hard to sit 5 hours away and wait. Probably best though....otherwise I'd be in the shop regularly and slowing stuff up too much!

C52

Eight Pointer
Keep the updates coming, I'm enjoying hearing about it coming together. My Dad has a 37 ford business coupe that he's built from a basket case. Other than being all steel, there isn't much factory about it though.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
The busy coupe is one of the niceset body styles to latch on to for a fun/vacation ride. Plenty of storage for travel junk and plenty of room to take Momma along but not enough room to cart the kiddies or the doggies!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Big giant shout out to Jack's PA. Thank you Sir!!! SHOUT!!

We have made a deal thanks to your brokering and it appears Ol Bessy will be acquiring, at a fair price, the following immediately needed and potential spares from a local rust free 1937 Plymouth 4 Door P4 Touring Sedan. Meeting and pick up is scheduled for Wednesday evening.

I did not attempt to get the entire car (no rolling stock and my wife and realtor would kill me even if I had a forklift to move it around the house between now and any future sale) but, we did settle as follows:

Trunk lid
4 Doors
4 Fenders
2 Headlight Buckets
2 Running Boards
2 Bumpers
4 Bumper brackets
Hood with associated hardware
Nose + Grill
Windshield with frame
Windshield Crank out mechanism
Window trim, door handles (interior and exterior) and window handles
Dome lights with lenses

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Rollin home with parts. Deer getter, trailer and jeep absolutely pig stuffed with parts and gotta go back for windshield and crank out mechanism. Seats, trim sheet metal grill chrome glass....got it all. Even headlight lenses and stainless trim. Meso happy!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Teaser pics till I can get it unloaded, sorted and stowed away with better photos. But a great deal at $1200 and I am so dayum excited. Tons of little stuff I need that woulda been hard to find and durned spensive.

Trailer full of sheet metal, 4 doors, 4 fenders, grill shell with grill, trunk, running boards, bumper. (Doors and trunk have keys. Doors have all glass, check straps, hinges, window mechanisms, etc....complete!)

bhTPezE.jpg

apWYU8s.jpg

Wife's jeep stuffed full of seats with perfect springs and all the door panels and arm rests for templates.

6Bs7qg2.jpg

The seats out, perfect springs.

oloBf2Q.jpg

Full box of interior trim parts...

sS4YOfN.jpg

Spare front fender splash panels

okKmvEp.jpg

Back seat is the complete hood, all door window garnish, spare vent windows with latches, etc.

BsR6IQV.jpg

The window garnish

d4LeVPV.jpg

The awesome hood out of Deergitters back seat...Dayumnear perfect too.

78vkECt.jpg

Front seat of Deergitter with head and tail lights and hood side panel trim

GqYa3TU.jpg

These headlight buckets are going straight to VA for install.....

qw6QBwI.jpg

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Next week will pick up the windshield, its chrome trim, the windshield crank and the running board brackets.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Already pulled. I think the frame will be for sale too. The body is decent and I believe the title is clear. Would love to have it all, but as is, realtor is gonna shoot me when she sees the stuff stacked in the garage!

Should have windshield frame and crank mechanism and running board brackets next week late. Soaking in penetrating oil for a bit to loosen things up.