1937 Dodge D-5 4 Door Touring Sedan

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Its coming along. Matt is on it full time. Body and primer then we talk/finance the suspension, then the power then the paint and !!!!!!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Just got an updated set of photos from Dad. Seems the trunk floor still needs work, probably have to make it from scratch. Still repairing some rot at the lower cowls but doors hung and the final bits of accident damage along the door posts are corrected. Trying to get the photos moved from the phone to the computer, stand by.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Nope...photo files are too big to even look at on the phone. Dad will have to resend them on several emails in order to get down from the total 50odd meg load that is jamming my phone!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
These photos represent the end of Week 2 (10 Business days of work) since pulling it from the corner and inventorying the mess!

It was a fight....the photos are coming in as part of the html document in the email instead of attached jpg......I gotta show Dad how!

Anyway, recovered some of the photos and will get the rest off the big computer later.

Front floor pan and firewall pretty much done, the old dash (25 years ago I redid all the woodgrain!) still looks fair.

5WbiMHZ.png

Lokar shifter on the TCI Streetfighter C4 that's been tentatively installed for 23 years is sticking up through the floor pan.

uUxFMKE.png

Up in the engine bay, the brand new moderate performance build Ford 200 L6 that we put in so many years back....it has about 30 mins or less run time on it. Might be replaced with a V8.

9aN43kG.png

LF fender from the doner car bought and cut up for panels back when the wreck happened.

bUMAIOu.png

Rear floor plan areas nearly done, just some corner work to do in the cowl section and at the rear doors.

2AGwT1X.png

iW7PfJ3.png

A bit of rot to work out at the rear of the trunk pan and the apron under it.

2bYH2FT.png

Drivers side rear door post and fenderwell accident damage repaired and the door being rehung.

3W7QtDU.png

Last edited:

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for the pics, nice looking work, really interesting..Wish I could find someone around our area restoring an old car and needing a hand for free. I love messing with old auto's...

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
We are tryin for little to no homework on this one. Time is getting more important to Dad and I so it'll be having much or the normal home stuff done in the shop. Not concours though. We plan to smash bugs and drive in muddy boots and put fish and deer in the trunk

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
With any luck, I will get to see and touch this old car for the first time since 1991/1992 on 24 August! Road trip!!!!!

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
With any luck, I will get to see and touch this old car for the first time since 1991/1992 on 24 August! Road trip!!!!!

That has to be special for you, and I 'm glad you can do this..Have a safe trip Sharps...And more pics of the old car as progress is made on it,,if you can get them..

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
I can't tell yet if it'll be a quiet reunion or not. Prolly cry or at least get the snots. Already decided that when its done, Dad fires the motor and drives it first!

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Less than a week to go, and I should get to see and touch Ol Bessy for the first time in a long time.

Email to Dad this morning:

Dad,

Interesting bits about the old Dodge

Original Base Price: $830

Number of 1937 4 Door Touring Sedans Produced: 185483

Weight: 2912 lbs.

Length: 196.125" or 16 ft. 4 1/8 in.
Horsepower: 87

Total Serial Number Range for all 1937 Dodge models 4530451 to 4789907

Vin Location: Right front door hinge pillar post. Additional Serial Numbers include 9118501 to 9149360 and 9409056 to 9413740

Factory Colors may have included: Golden Beige, Mercury Metallic, Stratosphere Blue, Dodge Blue, Regal Maroon, Dodge GunMetal, Chillon Green, Echelon Green and Gyro Blue

Dads response:

Rich,

All great pieces of data. And I bought it in 1958 for $50. Do you realize---we have owned it for 57 years!! That's as long as my marriage---what great choices I made, and now are yours to make.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
I would imagine $830 for the Dodge in '37 was like $30,000 now to a lot of folks..Thanks for the statistic's on the old Dodge, 87 horse's not bad for back in those days..And your Dad bought it for $50, cool...

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
I see it tomorrow. It's in first prime to hold it till the last of the rust work is done. Dad has thousands in accidents Damage already done. New floors. Door pillar. Cowl. Fenders doors.

I have the title. Keys

Some panels are new. Some from the parts car.

Trunk and roll pan bEing done now.

Haven't slept for days thinkin about it

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Rootin around the parts car here at dads house. I have located the ram hood ornament. With luck it's a spare and the original is with the car. Spare grill. Spare stainless front end trim and doors and trim. Spare fenders and rear quarters. Spare glass. Spare hood. Spare nose. Spare bumper.

So glad dads a packrat

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Sounds like you can build another car if you can find a frame to put all that stuff on. Everybody needs a spare everything.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
I got a bunch. Got to see if Dads computer has a port for the camera chip today to load them.

In the shop being worked was a 48 woodie, 2 nd gen 442, 54 caddy, 67 vw van, a chevelle, a stud avanti, 54 nomad wagon, a 39 chevy sedan!

ol Bessy is in the right place.

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Drivers side, where all the accident damage was, very nearly dead straight and prepping the final panels in the cowl. Firewall/cowl, front door, rear door, center door post and rear quarter all pulled out and reshaped. Some welding to do and some hinge repairs but this side will be pretty close to bondo free when competed.

REyF62F.jpg

Up front the nose is off and the firewall is perfectly wrinkle free.

ZfgdDqQ.jpg

Significant repairs to the front floor and restoration of the toe board for the hand brake.

9gw61M3.jpg

Passenger side, some rot repairs to do on the lower cowl and the panels are already made up. Doors are hung and rough aligned....all door rust repaired. A bit of work to do in the lower rear door post. But at least this side did not need a cut out and replacement from the parts car of the center door post.

6dO4jKu.jpg

Out back, a total removal of the rotted trunk and hand crafting of a new deck and roll pan under the trunk lid.

t0kgHbm.jpg

The new pan tacked in and as you see, bead rolled for strength and good looks.

WemLnPy.jpg

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Running boards, at least this one, appear to be in miraculous condition. We'll have to check the other but it looks like these will get light repairs and reinstalled.

o6HaHE8.jpg

Out front the nose and fenders being worked. The fenders will need final shaping to blend out accident damage where it mates to the grill shell and then dipped or blasted to get them ready for paint.

hmfbbkJ.jpg

Replacement drivers fender is mated/matched. Original Passenger fender is nearly completed.

RoxlxDq.jpg

3iUhgJI.jpg

CvR852D.jpg

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
This is the underside of the gull wing/alligator nosed hood.

Fortunately, all straight and I have a complete spare for this one too if ever needed, including all the trim and the elusive RAM hood ornament!

kYxJJbA.jpg

g5oR48J.jpg

The "Bits and Bites" all stowed here for sorting and repair and reinstallation later....

vcQuCDQ.jpg

And here in the corner of the shop, (looking at it from the inside view) an entire spare cowl and firewall with lower windshield posts. Most important here is that we kept this whole with the front body mounts and door pillars/hinge points intact if we ever need it....

QFvp7Ok.jpg

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Dad, with Ol Bessy. Smiling and telling me about how Mom got her drivers test and license when she was 16 years old in this car! Pillows under her bottom and back and a wood block on each of the gas, clutch and brake pedals!

as5KWw8.jpg

And me, thinkin hard and kickin myself for ever letting this one go. Thank Heaven for Dad's!

5ba8B8m.jpg

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Moving right along and looking good. But the best looking thing is Dad. Looks like he may have dropped a few pounds, or maybe it is just because I never saw him without 6 layers of clothes.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Hes lost some. Been a rough spot or two this summer. Home now and the ablation yesterday seems to have been the right decision. We are resting up for several days and with luck back to fighting trim in a week or so. Thanks to all for the prayers.....they are the best medicine!!!!