Be careful!!!

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Went to college with this guy and was buddies with him in school. Doesn't look good for him. :(

I've seen a pic of the boat, front end is demolished.

www.rrspin.com/roanoke-rapids-weldon-halifax-county-nc-news/item/9424-search-in-process-for-missing-fisherman.html

Last edited:

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Dang, I can't believe that. He would come and hang out at the house quite a few times in school. Sending a prayer up to the family.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Curdog, John Reese told me this morning. Sent me a pic of the boat. Front end is crunched. He hit hard.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That is awful, behind those dams are serious places. I have been involved in rescues and recoveries. Also been a couple personal incidents that weren't pleasant.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I realize that it is a terrible tragedy but what the hell is anyone doing at full throttle at 12 midnight? That is why I really don't like to fish at night. I have had boats zip by me wide open at less than 30 feet. It's just insane to run a boat at that speed in the middle of the night.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I realize that it is a terrible tragedy but what the hell is anyone doing at full throttle at 12 midnight? That is why I really don't like to fish at night. I have had boats zip by me wide open at less than 30 feet. It's just insane to run a boat at that speed in the middle of the night.

I realize that rivers are dynamic, but he's ran that river all his life, and often. I'm guilty of the same thing. Rivers are often more dangerous too at less than full throttle too as you often are better off at speed on plane rather than putting around. Less boat in the water to hit something.

PWR-WGN

I realize that rivers are dynamic, but he's ran that river all his life, and often. I'm guilty of the same thing. Rivers are often more dangerous too at less than full throttle too as you often are better off at speed on plane rather than putting around. Less boat in the water to hit something.

I wouldnt say that rivers are less dangerous at full throttle. Yes, your chances of hitting something may be less, but when you do it is certainly going to be a more severe outcome. I would a lot rather bump into an extra thing or two at a slower speed than hit just one going wide open.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I wouldnt say that rivers are less dangerous at full throttle. Yes, your chances of hitting something may be less, but when you do it is certainly going to be a more severe outcome. I would a lot rather bump into an extra thing or two at a slower speed than hit just one going wide open.

I agree with that, but then again I'm not running anything full throttle that I think could potentially threaten my life. I do know lots of people that run rivers at plane for that reason though.

I've been in both situations. I've been slung to the front of the boat hitting something at half throttle, that would have certainly nearly killed me at full throttle. I've also skimmed off rocks that just barely hit the last foot of boat because the rest of it was just skimming above the surface, and would have really jolted me if hit half throttle with more boat in the water.

That said, as wrong as it may be, in familiar waters, I'm probably running wide open unless the water has recently risen and put a lot of trash in it.... Assuming I'm not bothering others or endangering them.

Invincibility and complacency, I will admit.

That said, I'm bringing my boat back up here in June and it's a fresh reminder as I prepare to start running the Mississippi

Last edited:

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Sorry to hear about your friend Justin...no updates from what I can read,still says search in progress.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Haven't heard anything......
The way the article read his was in the lake not the river, Is that correct?

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
It was in the lake. No new word around town that I have heard. Prayers are going out for him and his loved ones.

mudflap

Ten Pointer
Hit me pretty hard to hear this. I just texted him Thursday and asked if was gonna have some bait for next weekend, this is exactly what he was doing, getting bait. We fished and hunted together the past 3 years, and was always a super nice guy. Lets all keep his family in our thoughts and prayers.

PWR-WGN

I haven't heard. Just that search was called off yesterday.

I talked with one of the Wildlife officers at the ramp at Weldon today and they said that they were cutting the flow rate back today to continue the search.

mudflap

Ten Pointer
Authorities found John just before 8:30 am this morning. Keep his family in your prayers for he will surely be missed.