Internet Service

britlab64

Six Pointer
Ok fellows...got Internet issues! We live in a rural area so we use ATT for Internet service. Wondering what other options we have as our service has constant disruptions with no service. Want to keep our landline phone but need an Internet option.

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I'm with you. I have ATT DSL, not even their fastest speed is available. Time Warner does not come here either. Wish we did have options.

britlab64

Six Pointer
My wife spent 1 1/2 hours on phone with them last night. Running program checks to re hooking everything. Still no service. This is the 3rd time this month she has done this. AT &T is sending out yet another system to her . Really not a big deal to me, but my son is in college and wife works quite a bit on it. They are killing my mobile data plan.
Do not think Time Warner is an option where I live but will check into it monday.

Guybo

Eight Pointer
Im in the same boat as we live in the sticks and didn't have many options. I was sick of dial up so we chose to go with hughesnet and we haven't had any problems other than when a storm is up and hard rain is falling. I have a wife and two kids using ours and I use it too. I have a desk top with a router and two lap tops so someone here is pretty much always online. I think it's the best of the satellite internet options. We've had hughesnet for about 8yrs now and it works just fine for us and our internet needs.

britlab64

Six Pointer
Yes sir, Will also look into Hughesnet. Received a flyer this week. That was the kinda of feed back I was wondering about.
Wife s biggest concern was about it going out in a storm. Seems like we lose satellite pretty easily due to weather.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
I have at&t also. For several years everytime it rained my interent would go out. The problem was at some box down the road. Everytime they responded...I would tell them.."I see you next week". One of them guys said it was a connection inside of said box. I told him to move my wires to a different connection inside that box. I havent had any issues for several years now. Timewarner cable was joke for me...I live off the main road 1500 ft. My neighbor at the road has them but they wanted 12 grand to run that wire back to my house...no way.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I live in the sticks so far that AT&T doesn't even offer internet out here,,,,,,,,

went with a local (Hamlet, NC) based internet provider - it is line of site radio waves,,,,,,fast enough for me but then I am not a gamer nor do I stream movies,,,,,,,,