870 barrel issue

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Bought a few barrels to be able to use my HD gun more. Something is not adding up. Look at the existing band vs.new barrels. Can someone help on this one?

Attachments

• 1430080353988-1066657997.jpg
    1430080353988-1066657997.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 0

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It appears that the tan barrel has a barrel band designed for the extended magazine tube, and the other two have the traditional barrel band at the end of the forearm. Do they both function properly?

I have a standard and HD 870, and both have the traditional barrel band placement.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
No the band ends up below the mag cap so they float. Or do you mean cycle then yes it appears they do. This gun was an HD that went to a Gunsmith and had the kitchen sink thrown at it. I forget all he had done to it but over 1300 if I remember correctly and I am still trying to figure out how you spend that kind of money on a 870. I bought it cheap for an HD gun and then since I am pragmatic ( ok cheap ) I thought it would be nice to buy another few barrels and stock set and have a modular gun. I was thinking the mag tube was a custom job but no idea. I am betting if I find a standard tube I will be ok. I was hoping it was something standard I missed. Never had an 870 before.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I can't seem to find a standard tube anywhere online. Would a mag clamp suffice to hold the barrel in place? Does such a thing even exist? Not trying to blow myself up. I think I have seen a clamp designed to support extended tubes that clamps to the barrel and tube.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You need a standard magazine tube, end cap and spring. Numrich should have them.

Last edited:

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You need a standard magazine tube, end cap and spring. Numrich should have them.

Those two barrels are NOT going to work on that gun as it's configured and there's a reason the magazine tube isn't readily available; the factory installs the tube with solder.

In other words, that ain't a kitchen table fix.

Last edited:

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Weird, wonder how mine is non standard? So the magazine clamp idea is a no go? Guess I need a new receiver.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Anyone ever seen a mag tube like this before?

It's a factory (+2) extended length magazine tube and I don't think they're offering them anymore.

The reason it's not commonly found is because it's too easy to just use an aftermarket tube extension with a standard barrel configuration since the two systems are not interchangeable. 99.9% of the aftermarket tube extensions out there only work with the standard capacity 4-shot tube length.

If you want a standard length (4-shot) magazine tube, you'll need to send it back to the factory. It will be a lot cheaper than buying a new receiver.

Last edited:

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Unfortunately it doesn't fill my need for a turkey gun next week. Oh well I will figure it out. I saw a bunch of posts about using a CPVC spacer but not for me. I am much to pretty for that.