Any auto techs?

jim67

Eight Pointer
I have a 2006 Dodge ram 4.7 liter 4x4, check engine light is on, code says #1 misfire and random misfires throughout. Severely blows white smoke, dies down after warm up. I have changed plugs, checked coil packs, compression test, did a leakage test on cooling system, (no leakage noted) ran the truck without radiator cap installed to see if head gasket was blown, no indication of that. What is going on? This seems to have started after I filled up at a BP station, thought maybe water in the fuel so I added 2 bottles of alcohol, no change. the truck has 119000 miles on it. PCV valve? Thanks.

tarheelshooter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Sounds like a head gasket/cracked head to me. How did the plugs look when you pulled them out?
Might need to remove plugs one night and pressurize the cooling system. Use a borescope,mirror,camera or something to look down into cylinders for antifreeze on the pistons. This may or may not show up on a combustion gas test (block testing fluid) since it gets better after warmup.

HillBilly2

Four Pointer
Could be bad spark plug wire, bad coil, bad crank position sensor....Did they check oil? Could have pulled on a wire putting the dipstick back in??????