Any body ever ......???

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Plant chufa with WGF sorghum?
I decided to try to hide my chufa this year. The turkey hunting was a bust this week up in my country so I planted my foodplots today. I figured I would try to hide my chufa from the turkeys so I mixed a little wgf sorghum with the chufa. The turkeys dug up the 1/4 acre of chufa in about 3 weeks in March. I planted another chufa patch which puts me close to a total of 1/2 acre of chufa.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That is what I was thinking but I have seen chufa grow in cotton fields and the farmers up in Northampton sprayed the stuff and could never wipe it out. The cotton didn't shade it out and the herbicides could not completely kill it out. I know one farmer never could get rid of it. I killed many a gobbler up there with their crop sac filled with those chufa nuts that grew in those cotton fields.

Last edited:

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Yes but planting cotton over Chufa is different than planting Cufa in conjunction with sorghum two totally different plants one is light and small leaves and one is heavy and large leaves.Good luck let use know how it turns out.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
I plan on blending my chufa with sunflowers this year. I think it will be fine if you don't put too much sorghum in and shade out the young chufa. Milo is very small seeded, so it would be easy to get too much sorghum to chufa. I'd do 10 lbs of chufa for every 0.5 pounds of milo.

Last edited: