Weird Fishing Kerr Scott 20 May 15

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
My brother and I went to Kerr yesterday and had one of the weirdest days I can ever recall fishing.

We fished all day long and wound up boating between 30 - 35 fish. Biggest was one he caught at 3 lbs 7 oz. Generally they were between 10 to 14 inches. All in all a good day fishing. But here is the weird part. We hooked and lost 40 -50 fish within the same general size range. We have never hooked and lost so many fish and it dang sure wasn't because our hooks were dull. They were the Gamagatzu (sp?) lazer sharp treble hooks. What we discovered is that out of the 30 - 35 fish we boated only perhaps 6 or 7 actually had the hooks in their mouth. The others were hooked in the side of the head or body. Those we got close enough to the boat to see clearly also were not hooked in the mouth. We came to the conclusion that the fish were not actually interested in striking the lures to eat the bait but were just slapping at the lure in what appeared to be an attempt to run/scare the lures away. Of those we boated none of them appeared to be on beds or guarding fry. I don't know what their problem was but I do know for a fact that I couldn't reach into the tackle box or attempt to untangle the hooks without getting hooked myself so HTH could they grab hold or get hooked and then escape about the time we got them up near the boat. We were using a landing net IF we could hang with them long enough to get them that close to the boat.

Took some photos but Photobuck still seems to be angry at me for some reason and won't let up upload photos. LOL.

gameland

Twelve Pointer
Sounds like you were close to having the right bait! Maybe a different size or color would have had the fish swallowing the bait.

Stick&String

Old Mossy Horns
We had a night like that last weekend. The striper and bass were hitting top water over a bait ball and they were only hooking up about every third strike. Usually when you hear the trebles and rattle in a Redfin you got him. Not these fish they'd take line put up a fight then be gone. I'd never seen it before.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
We had a night like that last weekend. The striper and bass were hitting top water over a bait ball and they were only hooking up about every third strike. Usually when you hear the trebles and rattle in a Redfin you got him. Not these fish they'd take line put up a fight then be gone. I'd never seen it before.

buggs island?

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns

Sometimes I think it has to do with the light (moon cause I fish at night) and how well they can see the lure, But I used to have that happen when I was using lighter tackle on stripers. I upgraded to a larger spinning real with faster retrieval. When I use the redfin and I hear the strike or feel it I start reeling really fast and when I feel their weight I put lots of pressure and horse them in quick like a bass tourney fisherman, that's not my style at all but its what I had to do. I had to real as fast as I could. That was the only way I could get them in the boat, if I didn't horse them in, or I let them play they got off.

Last edited:

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
It was at Kerr Scott, day time. We were using several different lures, different colors and sizes. But 9 out of ten hit a multi colored Norman Deep Baby N which looks quite a bit like perhaps a speckled or rainbow trout. None of these fish appeared to be on beds, spawning or guarding fry. Just really weird. And lots of them were doing the same thing Saturday.