Archery w a beard...

seminolewind

Concerned as the beard/mustache grows it may impair the shot. Thoughts?

Bud B.

Eight Pointer
When my beard got about 4" long it sometimes got caught in the string. I shoot recurve and trad only. I now have it well trimmed back to make the wife happy. No issues if it's shorter. Probably an occasional hiccup if it gets long. It doesn't hurt for long if it does.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Look up John White's drawings, both him and John Smith of Jamestown mention the local Indians plucking the hairs off the right side of their head so the hair doesn't get hung in the bowstring...You might try that, they used oyster shells to pluck the hair with... :D

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
If it's anything like the pain when a bow string slaps your forearm then I darn sure don't want any part of it. If I had to guess if the beard gets caught in the string two things are going to happen. First of all it's going to eliminate the beard from your face, roots and all. Secondly unless you are into pain you will be shaving the beard real quick. LOL.

seminolewind

If it's anything like the pain when a bow string slaps your forearm then I darn sure don't want any part of it. If I had to guess if the beard gets caught in the string two things are going to happen. First of all it's going to eliminate the beard from your face, roots and all. Secondly unless you are into pain you will be shaving the beard real quick. LOL.

Agreed but was wondering how someone with a handlebar mustache goes about protecting the project.....lol

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
Never thought about it before but I am sure if you have a big ole beard, the string will pull some hair. I only have a little goatee so I don't have to worry about it. Do like Woodmoose said and cornrow it! LOL

Last edited:

OnslowDeerMan

I've never had an issue, had a beard for years LOL

8473e8a0cbe7343a53fca585536f5795.jpg

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If it gets a good load of them wrapped you will have tears in your eyes before you even realize what happened, it is involuntary. Trust me on that one. I don't know exactly the how or why of it, or just how everything has to line up for it to get you but I have had a beard every since I retired. I bow hunted to my back got bad enough I couldn't pull one back and it was pretty long at times. Mine got me about 4 times, you won't forget it.

seminolewind

Think i may just shoot with a mask but don't really want to and never have......