Poison ivy?

brumer0

Four Pointer
I thought I knew what it was but ends up I don't. Is this poison ivy?
28735ecbc89d408494c92ce10a1cfba3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
It is definitely poison. Leaves of three let it be. Leaves of five let it thrive. I am fortunate to not be allergic to it. Anybody else out there as lucky?

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Don't know if I'm allergic to it or not, but its never bothered me. But then, I take extra care not to mess around with it. I've heard that about 40% of people are not effected by it, but some "non-allergic" folks can actually develop a sensitivity to it after repeated exposures.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
It is definitely poison. Leaves of three let it be. Leaves of five let it thrive. I am fortunate to not be allergic to it. Anybody else out there as lucky?

I could roll around in it, until I hit ~30. Now it'll get me, but I've got to really get in it. Even so, it'll just be a little spot.

Last edited:

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I could roll around in it, until I hit ~30. Now it'll get me, but I've got to really get in it. Even so, it'll just be a little spot.

I was 15 or 16 when it finally got me. Used to be able to roll in it then a switch flipped and I can look at it and get it.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am one of the lucky ones going the other way. After many, many trips to the dr. and two to the hospital when I was young because of it. About 30 I noticed I wasn't getting wrapped up in it every summer from coon hunting. Then even after a few accidental encounters when I knew I was in it I didn't get I figured out I was beginning to not be so sensitive to it.

Now I have to be extremely stupid and just throw caution to the wind and just grab it and handle it like any other weed or vine and then not wash off soon, and I don't push that issue.

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I used to get it bad as a kid. Now I don't get it much. Not sure if I am truly less sensitive or just learned my lesson. I don't really want to find out.

I had a Botany professore in college that swore if you ate it, you would become desensitized to it. I figured it was worth a shot, so I ate a small amount, but the results were inconclusive.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
It never bothered me until I was in my fifties and now it will only get me on my inner arms and in between my fingers. There is a product out called Ivy Block and one or two others that do a decent job of protecting against it. I use it during turkey season and haven't had any in several years.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've gotten wrapped up in it a few times to the point of getting shots and pill packs. Lately, it's a few bumps here and there...but I don't want to press the issue

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah same thing here. Something about the 30 years old. I can lay down it now and just get a couple spots

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
ZANFEL! $32/ounce but it's the only thing that will break the chemical bond between the oil and skin after contact.

I've become highly reactive to ivy since I had it so bad I needed shots and pills.

brumer0

Four Pointer
I'm sure I've came in contact with that before since I am just now recognizing it. I've been going around my property killing blackberries w roundup thinking it was poison ivy.... Something got me on the back of my arm last year but I have a feeling it was sumac.

Where I grew up in Colorado I never had any bugs or ivy (supposedly poison oak was there but I never heard of it where I lived). Nc is still better than Asia...

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I just got it from reviewing the photo.

And I'll let you in on a little secret. There is a fallacy in the leaves of five let it thrive. Actually I believe the photo is of poison oak and the leaves of five is poison ivy but it just depends where you look when you Google them. Regardless there is a plant, actually more like a vine which has lots of five leaf clusters. I am just as allergic to the five leave stuff as I am of the three leaf stuff. So my advice is be careful with the leaves of five and DO NOT let it survive.

Best cure I have found is Technu.

Last edited:

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
I'll probably get it from looking at it on this computer.

I was about to say the same thing.

IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO POISON IVY ------ GET-- TECNU POISON IVY SCRUB... I have been highly allergic my entire life and I can say Tecnu actually does prevent poison ivy if you come in contact with it.

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
I just got it from reviewing the photo.

And I'll let you in on a little secret. There is a fallacy in the leaves of five let it thrive. Actually I believe the photo is of poison oak and the leaves of five is poison ivy but it just depends where you look when you Google them. Regardless there is a plant, actually more like a vine which has lots of five leaf clusters. I am just as allergic to the five leave stuff as I am of the three leaf stuff. So my advice is be careful with the leaves of five and DO NOT let it survive.

Best cure I have found is Technu.

I have been in that argument with people numerous times about the 3 and 5 leaves. To me. Poison Ivy is and always will be 3 leaves.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Smitty I'm not going to dispute your 3 versus 5 leaves but I will argue with you until the cows come home that there is a vine that has many stems that come from the vine and contains 5 leaves and I don't even look at it without getting the rash. LOL. The reason some say the three leaves are poison oak is because they form and look similar to an oak tree leaf. It's possible that they could both be some sort of poison ivy, just a different variety. All I do know for sure is that either one will eat my lunch if I touch either of them. LOL.

boomer

Twelve Pointer
The 5 leaf ivy is wood ivy and GENERALLY does not cause the same reaction as poison ivy or oak but I do know people that have the same reaction to wood ivy as poison ivy. The old saying 5 let it thrive 3 let is be , is good advice and if in doubt let both be.

thandy

Ten Pointer
I have rolled in the stuff before and never gotten it....last year though that all came to an itchy end! I help my BIL remove some from a tree in his yard and it ate me up. I didn't go over with the intent of helping him so I had on flip flops and a sleeveless shirt. Every bend on my body and the tops of me feet were the worst...needless to say I am more careful now!

brumer0

Four Pointer
Bought some Tecnu for the cabinet. If not for me for the family. No reason in waiting until you want to rip off your skin.

Thanks

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
I used to get it bad until I was cruising timber with a local co on summer break from college. I wasn't paying attention and found myself surrounded by poison ivy that was growing shoulder high with leaves larger than dinner plates. There are only two explanations as to why those plants were so big they had to be someone's science experiment gone wrong, or the government was developing it for biological warfare. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I figured I was going to die before I could get back to the truck.
Since that exposure to what obviously had to be genetically mutated poison plants, I haven't been bothered by the stuff since.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Cow itch or Virginia Creeper can cause an allergic reaction in lots of folks. Thankfully the only place I typically am affected by the poison ivy, ok or sumac is the soles of my feet...if I happen to be stomping around barefooted and crush or walk in a patch of it. Even then it doesn't do much except make small raised areas that itch like crazy for a couple of days.
Technu and Ivy Rest is in our medicine cabinet as my wife is VERY sensitive to that type of plant and usually ends up with a round of cortisone shots and pills if she has a good dose of it. She actually has a small patch of rash right now, from picking up her pet chicken after she obviously had been in contact with a poison variety of some kind.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
I've heard folks say the same thing about leaves of five but I've never seen anything poisonous like that. Down east we have some fast growing weed vines with five leaves but it isn't poison. Its just a pain in the :donk:donk:donk when it gets in your other stuff.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
I used to get it bad until I was cruising timber with a local co on summer break from college. I wasn't paying attention and found myself surrounded by poison ivy that was growing shoulder high with leaves larger than dinner plates. There are only two explanations as to why those plants were so big they had to be someone's science experiment gone wrong, or the government was developing it for biological warfare. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I figured I was going to die before I could get back to the truck.
Since that exposure to what obviously had to be genetically mutated poison plants, I haven't been bothered by the stuff since.

That is some funny stuff right there. Maybe somebody threw away a bunch of old Miracle Gro that was still good where you were?