Mechanic help!

buckbuster04

Ten Pointer
I have 97 Ford Explorer sport, I'm working on replacing the EGR valve. The two mounting bolts came off easily but the flange nut connecting the tube to the valve is seized up like its no bodies business. Assuming it's pretty much welded itself into the threads from the heat of the exhaust recirculating, how can I break this nut? I've soaked it in PB blaster, used some stuff called freeze off, neither of them have budged this thing!!

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
Be careful but sometimes tightening the nut first will help them loosen up.

Last edited:

the sarge

Six Pointer
If you can get access with it you may want to just drill it out and replace it with a helicoil. But first I would get a torch in there and heat up the area surrounding the bolt. Get it good and hot and get some Pb blaster in ther while it's hot and the metal is still expanded a little bit. Both of those are possible options without being there to see what your working with.

tarheelshooter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
OK.....gotta ask, Why are you changing the EGR valve? If you have a p0401 (egr insufficient flow) or another EGR code then you are possibly barking up the wrong tree. I see lots of Ford EGR valves that have been changed out by customers and it usually winds up being restricted passages or a bad DPFE sensor. Every once in a while a bad egr solenoid or vacuum harness. The only ones I have ever changed on a Ford were stuck open and that is rare.
As to the frozen pipe nut,make sure you get it loose at the valve.....Trust me the other end of that pipe is 5 times worse. I would reinstall the 2 bolts and try heating up the nut with a MAPP gas torch or a big torch if you have access. Be careful so you don't melt any vacuum lines or wiring harnesses. Good luck.

brittonp83

Six Pointer
I agree with tarheel, 90% of the ford's I've had come in with EGR codes were a bad DPFE. Most EGR valve problems can be fixed by cleaning the valve, or the tube is broken with a major leak.