Tennessee concerned about bull elk harvest

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Hunters are harvesting the biggest, most mature bulls they see.

So some areas are being closed to elk hunting to protect the bull elk population.

No 'brown and down' management there.

The difference is elk biology was created around the mature bulls doing all the breeding.

Basically managing for bull elk is not same as managing for buck deer.

Last edited:

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
They kill monster bulls every year in PA and the herd keeps getting stronger. By the time hunting season rolls around the cows have already been bred. Taking out the bigger bulls isn't a problem. New bulls will take their place the next fall.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
They kill monster bulls every year in PA and the herd keeps getting stronger. By the time hunting season rolls around the cows have already been bred. Taking out the bigger bulls isn't a problem. New bulls will take their place the next fall.

Exactly^^^^. Several states have managed elk populations successfully.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I think most are failing to realize there are only like 5 tags offered every year...................I would hardly call it a "hunt". Getting drawn is like winning the powerball. You damn right I'm not gonna burn a once in a lifetime tag on the first bull I see and I can't blame anyone else for not doing so either! you could fill your tag in the first 20 minutes of daylight in the areas that allow elk hunting if your just shooting anything with antlers..

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have applied for 5 years in a row. I have a friend that begs me to. He has a pretty large tract of land they are on and there are a couple large bulls that are on it most any given time. Putting in for a select area narrows my chances even more.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns

PA strictly limits the harvest of bulls in each elk zone.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I have applied for 5 years in a row. I have a friend that begs me to. He has a pretty large tract of land they are on and there are a couple large bulls that are on it most any given time. Putting in for a select area narrows my chances even more.

If you get drawn, immediately go buy a powerball or mega millions ticket!!!!!!

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you get drawn, immediately go buy a powerball or mega millions ticket!!!!!!
Yeah, exactly what I figured. I really don't care, I have killed them before. It would be more of a revenge killing for my buddy, he is abut tired of fixing fences and them pilfering hay. I have tried to get him to apply but he doesn't big game hunt at all and as aggravated as he gets he won't apply.

They are good eating though, second only to moose to me in what runs loose in the US.

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
PA strictly limits the harvest of bulls in each elk zone.

I know that probably better than anyone on here. My camp is in the center of elk country in PA. But they regularly kill some of the biggest bulls in the country each year.