Problems accessing NCH&F???

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Is anybody other than JPJ II and me unable to pull up the NCH&F website from a particular location? Neither of us can access the site from our homes. In my case I can't get on at home via my computer...nor my iphone. But the second I switch my iphone from wifi to cellular, I get right in.

The NCH&F administrators are pretty sure the problem isn't on their end. I've talked to TWC at length and we have reset everything there is to reset but nothing has worked so far. The reason I'm asking if there are others out there experiencing this issue is that the TWC tech I talked to said he wasn't aware of any other complaints regarding this site....so if there are others I would like to call that to is attention.

I have never had any problem accessing any website ever until about 2-3 months ago when suddenly I was no longer able to access NCH&F when at home. I figured it would clear itself up over time, but so far, no such luck. It's frustrating not being able to access the site at home...so I'm trying everything I can to get TWC to delve deeper into it.

Again, if others are having the same issue, please let me know and I'll relay that to TWC. Thank you!

VikingsFan8178

I cannot access from home and I use TWC. I use the same computer at work and I can access it just fine.

VikingsFan8178

I used to be able to access it from home as well. I would say it has been around 2-3 months since I have been able to do it.

flathead977

Ten Pointer
Many of us had the same problem with Century Link several months ago, and the problem got resolved. I have no idea what happened, but I am pretty sure it was on Century Link side at the time and not NCH&F side.

Last edited:

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
which browser are you using? Have you tried clearing all your history and clearing cache?

I use both Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Early on I tried clearing history and cache and resetting everything, etc....to no avail. The odd thing....and the evidence that in my opinion ought to help the techs figure this thing out...is that I can't access the site whether using my computer or my iphone...as long as I'm using TWC...but as soon as I switch my iphone from wifi to cellular I get right in. So, that tells me the problem is not in my computer or my iphone but instead somewhere between my house and NCH&F's server. I don't have the IT skills to figure it out beyond that though. Thanks Jlewis74 for trying to help.

VikingsFan8178

yeah I have cleared everything. I use safari on my MacBook.

I can access other forums that I subscribe to but not this one.

Pirate96

Twelve Pointer
I am on TWC and am able to access the site. As I have stated on your previous thread there are a couple of steps to take.

1) Verify the correct DNS is being returned.

$ dig +short A www.nchuntandfish.com/forums/

That is a different IP address then I was getting last week.

2) Perform a MTR or pathping to the server. That will show you where the path is taking you when trying to access the web site.

Feel free to send me a PM and I can walk you through the steps.

Deerjager

I had issues for months and quit trying. Uncle Fester is still having issues. I switched from Northland Cable internet to AT&T U-Verse and the problem went away immediately. I tried everything suggested by Tipmoose. My wife is an IT Manager with her corporation and had no luck deciphering the problem. It was not just on my laptop, but all 4 laptops and 2 PCs in the family. I hate I lost many months on here because I enjoy this site a lot.

ST8ER

Ten Pointer
I have TWC and have no issues using any of my devices. Iphone, Ipad, Laptop etc.....Very Strange.

VikingsFan8178

TWC uses so many different models of equipment that they don't even know what the problems are half the time. If they can't figure it out, they just come by and replace stuff with different models. Been doing it for years.

Redeye

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
My money would be on the router/modem. I have TWC and have no issues. What brand/model of modem/router do you have?

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I have green light in Wilson and I have the same issue.....I have tried everything and still nothing. I can go to cellular and it works fine. We have green light at work and it is the same issue there as well.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pirate96

Twelve Pointer
I have green light in Wilson and I have the same issue.....I have tried everything and still nothing. I can go to cellular and it works fine. We have green light at work and it is the same issue there as well.....

Sounds like green light is not taking a route that gets to NCH&F. It most likely is a router in mid-route that is not sending traffic to the correct location. Seems to be a fairly wide problem.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
http://antlerapps.com/HostedImages/Halloween/

Out of curiosity...those of you who are having trouble accessing NCH&F...can you click the link above and look at one or two of the files there? Do you get the same slowness?

This url points to a domain that is hosted by the same web host as the one servicing NCH&F.

HillBilly2

Four Pointer
Ask one of your neighbors using twc to try to access the forum. If they get through then it is your hardware. My advice is to not waste time and energy trying to find the problem. Just replace the cable modem and router. You will end up happier and with more hair. Your neighbor is going to report that it works for them, because it works for other twc customers, so just replace the modem and router. If twc owns it and wants to give you a hard time about replacing it tell them to make it work.

Do you have a separate modem and router, or are they integrated together? If your cable modem is more than a couple of years old it should be replaced anyway because the newer ones utilize newer protocols and are much faster. Mine went from 5 to 15 MHz on Charter. Problem might be fixed by doing an IP refresh on router, but rebooting it should do that anyway. And you probably don't know the login and password to the router. You could pay an IT guy $120 an hour to come out and work on a $79 router, but........

Look at the address bar on top of your browser when it times out. It should say http://www.nchuntandfish.com/forums/ only. If that times out drop the www. http://nchuntandfish.com If dns is not resolving type 204.14.93.35/forums that ip number will change regularly.

If your using Windows 7 Click your start button and type cmd and then enter. In the black box that pops up type "ping www.nchuntandfish.com" without the quotation marks. You should get a line saying pinging a number then four lines of replies. If you do not get a number then the dns is not resolving. Mine today gives 204.14.93.35. Type tracert nchuntandfish.com and enter. That will give each hop to the forum. The first one will be to your router, usually 192.168.1.1. Then your cable modem, then twc dns server ect.

That is some weird stuff lol http://antlerapps.com/HostedImages/Halloween/HJane.jpg

http://antlerapps.com/HostedImages/Halloween/HJane.jpg

Last edited:

GregC

Six Pointer
One day it works and the next it doesn't. I have TWC. I think I was in the club where 2-3 months ago it didn't work and now it does. I can't get off of guest wireless at my own house much less anything else recommended here....

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Thanks for all the suggestions...I'll give them a try tonight when I get home. I'm at my workplace now...which also uses TWC... but I've never had the first problem accessing the site from here. Go figure. Thanks again!

tk26

Six Pointer
I have the same problem. Can access the site at work but not at home using the same computer. I also have TWC at home.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
After trying everyone's suggestions and thinking everything through, I am convinced the problem resides with TWC. Unfortunately, it appears I have no choice but to muster up the energy.......and call them again. Oh freakin' boy!!

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Update. After months of being unable to access the forum from my computer when at home, for unknown reasons......as of yesterday, I'm somehow back in! TWC couldn't ever figure out the problem so I have no way of knowing what changed. Regardless, Jimmy crack corn and I don't care! I'm in....that's all I care about at this point. Thanks to any/all of you who tried to help me before. Hope it never happens again.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
The good news is I don't think you missed much!!

Glad you are back, hope it is not temporary!!

I would thank Tipmoose also. imho, odds are that he's smarter than anyone at TWC ;)

VikingsFan8178

ended up getting a new modem from Time Warner and I can now finally access the site from home again

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Update. After months of being unable to access the forum from my computer when at home, for unknown reasons......as of yesterday, I'm somehow back in! TWC couldn't ever figure out the problem so I have no way of knowing what changed. Regardless, Jimmy crack corn and I don't care! I'm in....that's all I care about at this point. Thanks to any/all of you who tried to help me before. Hope it never happens again.

Haha, the same thing happened to me a few weeks ago!

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same for me, Bryan.