Alone The Series

It's a good one that's for sure.

I know I'd be up a creek without a paddle, but, It seems like all Mitch has done is complain about food. But, I just don't see the guy actively trying to find food. Sam is trying, with the deadfall traps and stuff, but he's gonna need more than that. If I remember rightly, he brought a compound bow as one of his items. Not once, in the 35 or so days we've seen so far, has he tried to hunt. Anything. I'd get tired of field mice pretty darn fast.

We recorded it and just finished watching it. I think its a toss up between Sam and Mitch as to which one goes home next.

Maybe its just me but neither one of them seem to have worked on improving there shelter since they first built it.

It has to be hands down the best show that has been on TV in a long time.

wademaster

I'm still enjoying it. I figured someone would break after the frigid temps set in (they still might). The shelter was impressive.

At times I think working on a guitar, and dicking around with other non-necessities has to be a waste of time when there are so many other important things that can be done, but things like that keep your mind off of other things that can pull at your heart strings in negative ways.

I have to agree with Alan on lots of things though. It may not be as visually impressive to chill out at camp as a shelter may be, but playing it smart will keep you alive. Get what you need, keep what you need, don't press your luck. Preparation is huge.

chef

Ten Pointer
It's a good one that's for sure.

I know I'd be up a creek without a paddle, but, It seems like all Mitch has done is complain about food. But, I just don't see the guy actively trying to find food. Sam is trying, with the deadfall traps and stuff, but he's gonna need more than that. If I remember rightly, he brought a compound bow as one of his items. Not once, in the 35 or so days we've seen so far, has he tried to hunt. Anything. I'd get tired of field mice pretty darn fast.

yeah, you have to think after it is obvious that the deadfalls are worth somewhere around 35 cals per day, why wouldn't you invest some time and energy in hunting. almost like a last ditch effort. do some scouting and find a gametrail. make a blind and wait to see what comes. if you get lucky enough for a deer, you are set for food for a while.

question: how come nobody brought a fishing pole? i assume it was against the rules.

Not sure about it being against the rules. But, here's the remaining contenders gear list.
(Just a fun fact, Mitch's last name is Mitchell. :D Don't know why I find that funny.)

Alan-
1. Saw
2. Axe
3. Sleeping bag
4. Large 2-quart pot
5. Ferro rod
6. Water bottle/canteen
7. 300 yards single filament line with 25 assorted hooks
8. Small gauge gill net
9. 3.5lb wire
10. Knife

Lucas-
1. 12×12 ground sheet tarp
2. Saw
3. Axe
4. Sleeping bag
5. Large 2-quart pot
6. Ferro rod
7. 300 yards of single filament line with 25 assorted hooks
8. Extra Tarp
9. Extra emergency rations
10. Knife

Sam-
2. Axe
3. Sleeping bag
4. Large 2-quart pot
5. Ferro rod
6. 300 yards of single filament line with 25 assorted hooks
7. Bow and 6 arrows
8. Slingshot
10. Knife

Mitch-
1. Axe
2. Sleeping bag
3. Bivi bag (gortex sleeping cover)
4. Large 2-quart pot
5. Ferro rod
6. 300 yards of single filament fishing line with 25 assorted hooks
7. Small gauge gill net
8. Bow and 6 arrows
9. Knife
10. Sharpening stone

yeah, you have to think after it is obvious that the deadfalls are worth somewhere around 35 cals per day, why wouldn't you invest some time and energy in hunting. almost like a last ditch effort. do some scouting and find a gametrail. make a blind and wait to see what comes. if you get lucky enough for a deer, you are set for food for a while.

question: how come nobody brought a fishing pole? i assume it was against the rules.

Mitch and sam both brought a bow, and I can't recall either one of them even picking it up, other than to move it around their camp. The are limited to just 6 arrows. So, I guess your mindframe would be to really make them count.

You can find all sorts of cool info about the show and the guys on History channels website. There's a pretty cool Personality quiz you can take as well.

http://www.history.com/shows/alone

Last edited:

chef

Ten Pointer
Not sure about it being against the rules. But, here's the remaining contenders gear list.
(Just a fun fact, Mitch's last name is Mitchell. :D Don't know why I find that funny.)

Alan-
1. Saw
2. Axe
3. Sleeping bag
4. Large 2-quart pot
5. Ferro rod
6. Water bottle/canteen
7. 300 yards single filament line with 25 assorted hooks
8. Small gauge gill net
9. 3.5lb wire
10. Knife

Lucas-
2. Saw
3. Axe
4. Sleeping bag
5. Large 2-quart pot
6. Ferro rod
7. 300 yards of single filament line with 25 assorted hooks
8. Extra Tarp
10. Knife

Sam-
2. Axe
3. Sleeping bag
4. Large 2-quart pot
5. Ferro rod
6. 300 yards of single filament line with 25 assorted hooks
7. Bow and 6 arrows
8. Slingshot
10. Knife

Mitch-
1. Axe
2. Sleeping bag
3. Bivi bag (gortex sleeping cover)
4. Large 2-quart pot
5. Ferro rod
6. 300 yards of single filament fishing line with 25 assorted hooks
7. Small gauge gill net
8. Bow and 6 arrows
9. Knife
10. Sharpening stone

just judging by the way the items in the lists are listed, they were given a master list that said "choose 10" and all items were the same for everyone. not bring them from home. so i am guessing fishing pole was not on there. i also think it is not a coincidence that the youngest guy picked the bow and arrow when the older guys were smart enough to realize they won't have the energy to big game hunt.

nevermind: missed the B+A on mitch's list

Last edited:

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Honestly, from what I've watched, I think the Bow and Arrows might never get used.

What is a ferro rod?

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns

Sam is going to attempt to hunt with his bow later in the coming episodes, it showed him making a "last ditch" effort to do so. Those were the words that came out of his mouth. He shoots it but idk if its at an animal or target.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I consider myself a weekend warrior hunter. I spend $ and time scouting, baiting, cameras etc, in a HIGHLY rich environment, and still have less than say a 20% success rate (a LOT less actually). I have hunted in Canada before, over obvious game trails, with a RIFLE, for DAYS in a row, and seen nothing.

Imho (VERY humble and limited), I would think that the best hunting opportunity (close to base camp) would have been early on. That seems to be when the critters seemed most curious about the new residents, and got very close to people. I get the feeling that after the contestants became established and the sounds of axes, smell of smoke etc, probably drove the critters away. To me, hunting with a bow after 5 weeks would probably best be served by going VERY far away from base camp, setting up, and being prepared for failure. Not worth it imho IF they are getting fish and what not.

Dude at a cormorant and said it tasted like steak.

I get the feeling they will all tap out without tasting red meat.

Briargoat

Ten Pointer
I think Mitch will tap out shortly. He seems like he's not far from quitting. My money's on either Alan or Lucas.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Although Alan is definitely the most "stable", I think Mitch is a lot smarter and resourceful than a lot of folks realize. If you think about it the way he goes about things is a lot like Alan. Slow, steady, and thinks about things before making a move and conserves calories as much as possible. His "mood" or attitude is consistant with his youtube channel. Lucas definitely has some impressive skills. Seems he does best when he can stay busy. Problem with that is, it burns calories. If he runs low on food, that can get him in trouble. Sam looks like he's loosing it. His food situation will be his downfall. I think he will be next to tap out.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I only know them as Alan, the canoe guy, the young guy, and the dreadlock guy. The canoe guy definitely has a chance. The young guy is somehow living off 1 mouse a day and I think he could sustain that IF he didn't have a pregnant wife at home (no way I figure he misses the birth). Dreadlock dude imho is gone IF his fishing hooks idea to replace his lost net doesn't work (but seeing all the catfish caught, it just might) but he deserved to lose his net if that was he who let a fish rot in it, and Alan I think will just decide to hit the button at some point. And given what we've seen, that could be at ANY time, probably on a full stomach. I think he'll just decide he's had enough and wants to take his fish trap home.

I wonder if Vegas put odds on this show?

Hank

Old Mossy Horns
I tried posting this at the race track, but the service sucked and it never went through, so here goes again.

The whole bow and arrow thing, if one of them were to get lucky and kill something with the bow, what are they going to do with all the meat. You eat well for a day, maybe two if you are lucky, then what? It isn't like they have a fridge to store it all in. I say it goes to waste after a day or two, and these guys seem like the type to not want to waste anything.

If they had a predetermined date to stay, no doubt in my mind that Alan could stay to that date, but I believe he will one day just decide that he is finished. You know, one of the guys that decided to do something to see if he could do it, he is that type of guy, IMHO. Once he figures out that he can do it, he will just say, "This is not a challenge anymore", and pack up his stuff and go home.

Lucas, the canoe guy, he is very interesting. I don't believe there is anything he can not do, physically, but I believe the whole "Alone" thing will finally get to him and he'll head home because he misses something at home.

Mitch, dreadlocks, I think he falls next in line after Sam. He just does not seem as sure of himself as the two mentioned before him. When he was eating, all was good in the world, once he started to get hungry (lost his net), his mood quickly changed. Bad/Rough times will be the end of him, again, IMHO.

Sam, just too young IMO, and I am shocked he had made it this far. He has very high spirits, but I think he is ready to pack it all in and head back to where he calls home.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
They could smoke/dehydrate the meat, would last a lot longer and with temps dropping now could even bury or freeze meat.

That's what I was thinking BHR.

Also, speaking of Lucas's new shelter. It holds in a small amount of smoke it seems all the time. I can't remember where I read or heard it, but, doesn't smoke cleanse the body? I've heard "smoking" yourself actually cuts down on the amount of bacteria on your skin, thus keeping you somewhat cleaner. At any rate, Alan seems to be keeping up his hygiene by bathing in the lake.

There are 2 things I would miss A LOT. Number one, is without a doubt, Toilet Paper. Number 2 would be dental care products. My electric toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash and more so than others, floss picks.

They could smoke/dehydrate the meat, would last a lot longer and with temps dropping now could even bury or freeze meat.

Last edited:

chef

Ten Pointer
That's what I was thinking BHR.

Also, speaking of Lucas's new shelter. It holds in a small amount of smoke it seems all the time. I can't remember where I read or heard it, but, doesn't smoke cleanse the body? I've heard "smoking" yourself actually cuts down on the amount of bacteria on your skin, thus keeping you somewhat cleaner. At any rate, Alan seems to be keeping up his hygiene by bathing in the lake.

There are 2 things I would miss A LOT. Number one, is without a doubt, Toilet Paper. Number 2 would be dental care products. My electric toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash and more so than others, floss picks.

warm shower

Hank

Old Mossy Horns
Alone - Inside Look is one right now. This show is a huge hit.

Last edited: