Wood Fired Quail Stuffed with Cajun Boudain

CDN

It is always fun in the heat of summer to dig into the deep freezer and pull out the prizes from last fall and winter's hunting adventures. I recently came across a few packs of quail, and it immediately flung a craving on me! And after finding a pack of my homemade boudain in the freezer as well, an idea was starting to brew....

What you will need:

Whole quail, cleaned

Olive oil

Thick cut bacon

Boudain (one regualr length sausage of boudain will stuff about 6 quail)

Old WoodFire Grill's KK's 10 BBQ Rub©

Toothpicks

Apple, Pecan, or hickory wood or chunks

Start by building a medium fire, around 300°-350°. Add a few chunks of wood, I prefer apple or pecan, but hickory would work nicely also. While the fire is getting going, rinse the quail and pat dry. Brush a light coating of olive oil on the inside and out, followed by a coating of the bbq rub.

Remove the boudain from its casing, and press a small portion in the palm of your hand to make a tight minitaure "sausage". Place the pressed boudain into the cavity of the quail.

Next, wrap the stuffed quail with a piece of the bacon. Go around the body, then around the bottom, between the legs and around the neck, so that the bacon covers the torso and across the belly and back. Secure with a toothpick.

Place the stuffed quail on the grill or smoker, cooking indirect, at around 300°-350° for about 1 hour, or until the bacon starts to crisp, and a toothpick inserted into a thigh of the quail runs clear juices with no blood. They are very lean and will become dry if you over cook them. Serve them up with grilled corn and gravy an biscuits!