Cold weather gear

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
My camo got tore up pretty bad early on last season, it was time to buy new stuff anyway, so what do yall prefer for deer hunting in the cold? Like what brand and style etc & prices if ya dont mind. Lookin now at buyin cabelas stuff but its on the high side pricewise. Also on a side note how many of yall carry a pistol hunting & in what holster fo you like to keep it in. I wanna carry my 1911 this season & i want a chest rig but i cant seem to find one i like. Thanks all

Last edited:

PWR-WGN

I just started using Sitka gear last season. It is a little on the high side, but to me is well worth the money. You get the warmth without all the weight and bulk that would come with other brands. I was looking something that I could still bow hunt in without being bundled up so big that I couldnt draw my bow.

I also hunt with my pistol some, but it is used as my primary weapon and not as a sidearm, so I just keep it in a cheap holster and drop it in my backpack until I get on stand. I then just place it beside me in the stand.

Excursion

Ten Pointer
As expensive as under armour base layers are........ its worth it. I stay warm and do not have any bulk. You will pack 1/3 of the clothes you did.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I'm no expert but I did work and hunt last year in MN.

Minus 33 or similar type merino wool base layer. Cover your be land head with a baclava type head cover. Layer up with whatever other camo you like.

Wool base layers make the difference.

Last edited:

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
King of The Mountain or Sleeping Indian if you can swing it. I checked some of Cabela's stuff and it was thin and cheap feeling. My bibs tore the first season and they had white cotton filling. They did have a multi layer coat in their bargain cave at the new Garner store that was very bevy wool and discounted to 300 because of soiling. I think retail was 450. Woolrich makes nice stuff too. I use layers and lighter gear for NC but if your planning a trip to the frigid north Wool or down is your friend. Your gonna pay to play though. Pac boots or if on a budget Mikey Mouse boots are also the ticket. If your not stand hunting then I would go differently. The big thing in layering is getting to the stand without sweating. Sweat is your enemy in subzero climates.

Last edited:

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
When Under Armour came out heavily into hunting a bunch of Northern buddies jumped on board. The first day they were cursing it. I don't know if it has improved or not. The thin performance wear flies in the face of alot of what I have been taught. You need air pockets to stay warm not thin layers. At least IME that is why you see arctic circle hunters wearing thick heavy down suits.

deerhunter28

Ten Pointer
Sitka is worth the money.
There is a lot of deals going on now for last years colors Forest.
They have all new items this year and there selling last years at a discount.

I like Polartec power dry from cabela's , and MTO50 .I wear UA if it is just cool.I bow hunted in Ohio with -11 winds about 20mph.I did not freeze to death.

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
Roger that. I was lookin at some mt1050 bibs the other night. Anybody on here have any wear on a drake lst down coat? Filled with goose down it sounds pretty warm

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I've been using the cheap synthetics (probably from Wong Mart) as a base layer (they wick moisure away) and then layer up with regular thermals and a wool turtleneck pullover. Turtlenecks are the ticket for staying warm. Fleece pullover over top that. It works in the Sounds in January and it can get brutal out there.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
When it's cold, I have a wool suit from Gray Wolf Woolens. They're expensive, but I fully intend to hand it down to my son when I'm gone.

Last edited:

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I too use UA and with layering I find that it is great. If really cold I'm also a big fan of the boot blankets and the Body Heater Suit (big sleeping bag with legs LOL). I also am a big fan of those chemical heat packs.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I'm really amazed at the amount of people that use and praise UA. They've either stepped their game up or they haven't used wool base layers. I own both and have never put UA on after using wool.

Soft and not itchy at all. Feels like cotton, works like, well, wool.

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Being from NJ, we get very cold long winters and the Cabelas thermal zone stand Hunter ECWCS base layers are my go to for long sits. During winter bow I prefer my layered KUIU gear.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I know the UA base layers have improved, the ones I wear are designed to be warmest in areas u need it most, and not as warm in areas you least need it to prevent sweat.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
Better save up.. That Sitka Gear and Under Armour are high dollar!!

But there have been times when I was hunting below 0° that I would have traded everything I had for warmer gear!

brittonp83

Six Pointer
I've got Cabelas legecy fleece windstopper stuff for moderate cold. It doesn't regulate too well though, and I sweat on the walk in. I've also got their berber fleece, which I like better. I bought some military surplus wool pants that didn't see too much use yet, but the time or two I wore them, I liked them. For base layers I use polartec, UA 2 or 3 level, merino, and capilene. The capilene has proven to be tied with merino for the best. If i'm in a box stand on a really cold day I just layer up and throw on carhart arctic bibs and the berber fleece hoodie.

DaveinWV

I buy the 100% synthetic fleece on sale at the end of Winter at Walmart or places like Ross Dress For Less, etc. The ugly colors you wouldn't be caught dead in in public because who can say they blend in the back ground? Layers with wool blend base layers and milspec polypro long underwear. If it's not wet I wear a windshear outer layer. It doesn't take much of a breeze to make it colder.