Another North Carolina shark attack

ds_woody

Six Pointer
OCRACOKE ISLAND, N.C. — A man was pulled under the water by a shark Wednesday in the Outer Banks — this time on Ocracoke Island.

Emergency workers from numerous agencies arrived to find a male in his late 60s with multiple injuries, according to Hyde County officials. They said the man was swimming outside the first breaker, directly in front of the lifeguard stand when he encountered a gray shark about 7 feet long. The shark pulled the man under the water. He suffered several bites to his rib cage, hip, lower leg and both hands.

A witness told CNN he saw a “trail of blood from water to the sand.”

The victim was able to swim out of the water, where a doctor who happened to be in the area was able to stabilize him, said Justin Gibbs with Hyde County EMS. The man eventually was airlifted off the island to Vidant Medical Center in Greenville, N.C.

Hyde County officials said the attack happened around 12:10 p.m. at the National Park Service Day Use Area on Ocracoke.

Wednesday’s attack marks the seventh incident on North Carolina beaches in June and July. Last year, there were only four reported in the state through the summer. George Burgess, director of the Florida Program for Shark Research, told FOX8 recently that there are several environmental factors that make North Carolina appear to be a “perfect storm” for shark activity this summer.

Last edited:

Southside

Ten Pointer
I've lost count so to speak. There were the 3 in the Oak Island area and the one mentioned above. Were where the others ?

tomahawk

Six Pointer
Were not on top of the food chain in the water folks. The only time I get in the water is when it's gin clear. Usually sharks aren't in that real clear water. Plus if you see any dolphins close by your safe. The two top predators don't get along too well. The dolphins can run circles around sharks, so they mostly vacate the area.

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Wonder if they can sue the Eco-Terrorist for halting medical access due to Plovers & Turtles?

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Just a thought....is there any chance that the ingredients in some type(s) of sunscreen has/have changed? Maybe something 'natural' like a micro amount of fish oil or something similar? Sharks are infrequent on Gulp baits but readily hit them if fish oil is added.

Southside

Ten Pointer
Portion on the news this morning said something to the effect that because of the heat and dry conditions less cool water was making to the ocean. Basically water is warmer in the coast and makes better conditions for them. ??

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Chicken come in my house, he get ate. Pig come in my house, he get ate. The ocean is the shark's house you go there you gonna get ate! When you go to the beach, go to the beach. Look at the water from a distance.

True Dat!!

darenative

Twelve Pointer
It's been about a decade since NMFS instituted major changes in the commercial shark fishery for large coastal species. What we are seeing is the outcome of that fishery being over regulated. I'm sure all the attacks in NC and SC over the past 6 weeks or so NMFS is feeling some political pressure to cull the large coastal species of sharks. I think the population rebounded a lot quicker than the biologists had estimated.
We are seeing BIG bull sharks behind Oregon Inlet in the sound on a regular basis in areas where it used to be a less than common occurrence. It sure makes you think twice about getting out of the boat and wade fishing in murky water.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Define "big" in terms of bull sharks.

Such a mean nasty beast. I'm fascinated by big bulls...8ft+

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i wish shark attacks were the only attacks we need to worry about this weekend.

and i have never seen such overreaction to something that has no "fix" other than staying on the beach. The news and observers is just dying to blame it on fishermen. SMH.

that failed they are seeking a global warming hook.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
Define "big" in terms of bull sharks.

Such a mean nasty beast. I'm fascinated by big bulls...8ft+

Yes they are mean and nasty. I heard tale of them being upriver in the Cape Fear. I have also heard of them being several miles up the Mississippi. Their ability to be able to spend more time in brackish or fresh water will get your attention.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Yes they are mean and nasty. I heard tale of them being upriver in the Cape Fear. I have also heard of them being several miles up the Mississippi. Their ability to be able to spend more time in brackish or fresh water will get your attention.

I'm thinking theyve been found as far up as St. Louis iirc.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Would be pretty fun I reckon. If I had to catch one, an 8ft bull would be as good as any. I'd like to hook into a mako that large. Acrobatics would be worth it.

Southside

Ten Pointer
i wish shark attacks were the only attacks we need to worry about this weekend.

and i have never seen such overreaction to something that has no "fix" other than staying on the beach. The news and observers is just dying to blame it on fishermen. SMH.

that failed they are seeking a global warming hook.

Just heard clip of McCrory from a news conference today. He said one way to avoid sharks was to stay away from areas were there was fishing going on. So there you go fishing is causing it.

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
Just heard clip of McCrory from a news conference today. He said one way to avoid sharks was to stay away from areas were there was fishing going on. So there you go fishing is causing it.

He was saying fishing could/should be banned in certain areas. He's gonna look into it. That's bad.

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Yep i'm out here right now using artificial bait haven't seen one fish in a week cause of the seaweed and it's people fishing that caused the shark attacks, as a matter of fact I haven't seen anyone hardly fishing and I haven't seen not one fish landed and they are telling people not to fish around people that are swimming or surfing like they have more reason to be here than people fishing, which they're hardly any.