Another North Carolina shark attack

chef

Ten Pointer
Yep i'm out here right now using artificial bait haven't seen one fish in a week cause of the seaweed and it's people fishing that caused the shark attacks, as a matter of fact I haven't seen anyone hardly fishing and I haven't seen not one fish landed and they are telling people not to fish around people that are swimming or surfing like they have more reason to be here than people fishing, which they're hardly any.

We are going down in two weeks. I have been reading the fish reports for the past two weeks for obx. They have been less than impressive for shore or pier. Not buying the tons of bait fish angle. Also they said something about the water being warmer. It isn't any warmer than it is in August and you don't see increased attacks every August. Also the past few days the reports are saying that the water turned really cold about 58 degrees in nags head. I am just not sure there is any reason other than there are a bunch more sharks and they happen to be nibbling people

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Maybe beaches should use drones every day out over the water to check? Course those in control should not be young males.

But sharks hunting/feeding in shallow water is not anything new to NC or anywhere on either coasts.

[video=youtube;BLG2v8yD0Fk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLG2v8yD0Fk[/video]

What I do remember is the last time the summer was full of shark attack news, the news was wiped out by 9/11.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
^ The professor quoted there was my M.S. advisor.

Anyone else think we have a Jaws-like rogue shark? I have been watching the location of the attacks very closely, and they steadily moved north and now are steadily moving back south. Way too much of a pattern to be completely random.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
What are the regulations pertaining to shark fishing and is there a simple guide to the species? There are several species of sharks in nearby waters and all are regulated.

I guess I should copy and post this to the fishing forum.

Last edited:

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
^ The professor quoted there was my M.S. advisor.

Anyone else think we have a Jaws-like rogue shark? I have been watching the location of the attacks very closely, and they steadily moved north and now are steadily moving back south. Way too much of a pattern to be completely random.

No chance IMO, well except for the two kids bitten 1 mile apart a hr apart that I could see being the same shark.....in fact it most likely was. There are videos all over the places of sharks all in the surf all up and down the NC beaches this summer for whatever reason. They are on the beach hard this year and its not turning out well for the people....

Harpoon

One of the shark tracking sites thats been around a while has updated geo locating is:

http://www.nova.edu/ocean/ghri/tracking/

Check out the Great White named St Marys....think hes around 7ft iirc....last reported transmission was way up the Chesapeake Bay.

A few of these sharks put the fin in the wind and travel long distances based on their tracking history.

They have "sponsorship" too.....thus the free advertising of corporate names.

Tarheel Stars and Bars sounds like a good name.....wonder if they would take it....? Just a lil ole shark, not offending anyone, I wouldnt think.

Harpoon

You can close the species screen that loads on the link I posted, and click select the shark "name" over on the right side which shows their history track.

Click select the ? and brings up their particulars.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Seems like they were tracking Mary Lee, a 3400# female great white, in Pamlico Sound here just a little while back....

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No chance IMO, well except for the two kids bitten 1 mile apart a hr apart that I could see being the same shark.....in fact it most likely was. There are videos all over the places of sharks all in the surf all up and down the NC beaches this summer for whatever reason. They are on the beach hard this year and its not turning out well for the people....

They can cover the distance. That's not the question. And I think there is considerable evidence of a pattern in the shark bites that have occurred.

So my question is this: is there an underlying phenomenon (i.e. warm currents or water temp.) that is driving the predictable pattern of attacks, or is it one or two sharks that have been conditioned to actually target humans? I think any scientist will go out of their way to paint these attacks as a function of naturally occurring variables (climate, temps., salt ppm, etc.) but somewhere in the back of our minds, we know that individual animals acquire learned behaviors. It's not out of the realm of possibility for an individual shark, just like an individual bear, to change it's feeding habits to the available food.

Last edited:

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
They can cover the distance. That's not the question. And I think there is considerable evidence of a pattern in the shark bites that have occurred.

So my question is this: is there an underlying phenomenon (i.e. warm currents or water temp.) that is driving the predictable pattern of attacks, or is it one or two sharks that have been conditioned to actually target humans? I think any scientist will go out of their way to paint these attacks as a function of naturally occurring variables (climate, temps., salt ppm, etc.) but somewhere in the back of our minds, we know that individual animals acquire learned behaviors. It's not out of the realm of possibility for an individual shark, just like an individual bear, to change it's feeding habits to the available food.

Meh...we're curious by nature, always looking the why. But at the end of the day...there's absolutely nothing we can do about it, no matter the reason.

Other than stay our happy arses out of the water:D

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I find it difficult to imagine rouge sharks doing this. Many attacks don't even yield a meal, like the most recent one, so why would they bother? Unless they get a calf muscle, I would imagine any other bites that remove limbs might be pretty boney?

my common sense tells me you have an unusually warm month of June, the beginning of beach season, more sharks near shore while more swimmers in the water, will naturally equal more shark attacks. Just my thoughts.

What I'm WAITING for is peta or some nutjob group to say mans fishing of the seas has depleted the oceans of sharks natural food, so they are eating humans instead. Someone's gonna do it, watch!

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
The warmer water has their food source, warmer water closer to shore they follow food source. Most bites seem like test bites, if its a good test they rip your leg/arm off.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
The warmer water has their food source, warmer water closer to shore they follow food source. Most bites seem like test bites, if its a good test they rip your leg/arm off.

I haven't taken a "test bite" since my dad stopped at Yeehaw Junction in Florida and I ordered steak and eggs when I was about 9.

Ever since then, if I bite something, I mean, MEAN to consume it!!! Good thing I'm not a shark!

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
[video=youtube;ekaKL218q_s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekaKL218q_s[/video]

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
welcome_to_NC.jpg