Armadillos

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Road killed armadillos have been found in Jackson and Buncombe Counties recently.

They are expanding their range.

Randy

Ten Pointer
My stepson saw one in Surry County last weekend and a good friend of my wife sent us some photos of several she saw recently around her home in the Atlanta suburbs.

Last edited:

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
I spent 3 years in southwest GA and I hated those bastards. Stuck an arrow thru many of them.

I sure hope they don't show up in the piedmont.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Road killed armadillos have been found in Jackson and Buncombe Counties recently.

They are expanding their range.

Yes, we do seem to have a few small, bumbling, hard-headed pests around.......:p

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
Saw one in Arkansas once when I was hunting. I wanted to shoot him for his shell but all I had was a 12ga with some buckshot. Whats so bad about them? Dont really know much about em.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
They are a burrowing critter, they can carry leprosy, and they are loud as hell in the woods when the leaves are dry.

When I first moved to GA, they were fascinating. After seeing them all of the time, they got to be annoying. There were more dead armadillos on the road than possums.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The USDA agent here in Harnett county told me last year that they would be here and it was not a lot the state could do

OnslowDeerMan

They are a burrowing critter, they can carry leprosy, and they are loud as hell in the woods when the leaves are dry.

When I first moved to GA, they were fascinating. After seeing them all of the time, they got to be annoying. There were more dead armadillos on the road than possums.

Really? Leprosy? Lol

Muzzleodor

Eight Pointer
Yes Leprosy, all diseases have a natural reservoir somewhere where they don't harm the host as much as other animals and people. Koalas are a reservoir for chlamydia, sheep can be a reservoir for syphilis and prairie dogs are a reservoir for black plague.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns

We made the drive down to Florida a few weeks ago and I bet we saw 50 dead armadillos and one road killed gator. Never knew there were so many armadillos down that way.

EMB

Ten Pointer
Really? Leprosy? Lol

Per Wikipidia:
Armadillos are often used in the study of leprosy, since they, along with mangabey monkeys, rabbits and mice (on their footpads), are among the few known species that can contract the disease systemically. They are particularly susceptible due to their unusually low body temperature, which is hospitable to the leprosy bacterium, Mycobacterium leprae. (The leprosy bacterium is difficult to culture and armadillos have a body temperature of 34 °C (93 °F), similar to human skin.) Humans can acquire a leprosy infection from armadillos by handling them or consuming armadillo meat.[13] Armadillos are a presumed vector and natural reservoir for the disease in Texas and Louisiana.[14] Prior to the arrival of Europeans in the late 15th century, leprosy was unknown in the New World. Given that armadillos are native to the New World, at some point they must have acquired the disease from humans.[14][15]

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I hate'em, they're like a 4 wheel drive rat, burrowing in your yard and garden all night. I save old arrows especially for armadillos but I can tell you for a fact that a .35 Remington will cut'em in half.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I may be wrong but I think armadillos spring upward when frightened. If that's the case they could end up in a vehicles grill.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I may be wrong but I think armadillos spring upward when frightened. If that's the case they could end up in a vehicles grill.
That is why you will see a bunch of them with their head torn off on the road. They may make it by the wheels of a vehicle but they panic and the undercarriage gets them.

mudflap

Ten Pointer
Very unlikely for a human to catch leprosy from an armadillo from what I have read, one study tested 2500 armadillos and not one had the disease. Possible yes but highly unlikely.