What to plant?

Southside

Ten Pointer
Last year I got permission to hunt roughly 30 acres here in Lincoln Co. There is about 8-10 acres of the property that is field. The owner had been letting a farmer use that portion the past several years but this year he is not working it. I just found this out today. Anyway as I'm no farmer I was trying to determine what I should plant if I choose to. I wouldn't plant the entire field only a few strips. I would also need to watch the budget. I wasn't sure if its to late in the summer for corn or if I should wait a while and plant something for fall/winter? Open for suggestions or ideas.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Wheat and Oats would be my guess in the fall. I would not put much into it if you think you might lose it next year.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
With that kind of acreage I'd think about sub leasing to a farmer who wanted to plant a food crop that would be attractive to deer as well.. If the landowner would allow it that would be my first choice.
You could plant the edges in clover or annuals if needed but a spring/summer food source is very important and beans and corn have a lot of attraction value at someone else's expense.