Summertime Decoy Painting

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
Decided to paint up a few more divers, wash some decoys, even painted a few coot decoys. FurNFeathers (Billy) is pictured and NekkedDucker was not pictured. The time is creeping by it seems. Up next long line making party.
c7b73859af037d94a80001fd2c7ba639.jpg

ridenismo

Six Pointer
you got ahead of the game before i could this year thats for sure! how many decoys have you amassed this summer? i need to start gathering up a bunch for this year, i too amd going to try my hand at layout hunting the coast this year. Gone with a few buddies but finally have a tender boat worthy of big water thats mine, and a truck to pull it. crown vic pulling the old "river rat" wasnt going to cut it this year.

CaptGrandy

Those Cans are looking good. Need you to paint some of mine!!!!

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
Since February I have amassed 12 dozen more decoys. Mostly Cans, Bluebills, Redheads. I do have a few Buffleheads and Ringnecks as well. I think I have somewhere around 17-18 dozen or so. I think all but a couple dozen I bought used from members, coworkers, and just a few random people on Craigslist. Honestly, I am not quite done yet. I still need some Pintails, GW Teal, Ringnecks and Buffleheads.

The Cans I just repainted the white and touched up the rest. So I cant take all the credit on those.

Now, still have long lines to make and build a boat blind. Time is quickly slipping away before the season gets here.

ridenismo

Six Pointer
you sure do have a stockpile! Ive got a good base but need to bolster my stock. I have a dozen red heads, a dozen cans, a dozen pintails, 2 dozen blue bills, and a mixed bag dozen of shovelers, buffleheads, and ring necks. Im really debating on starting to paint up some cheap mallard decoys, I just hope it will work to add bodies and make the spread look bigger. Are you using tarred line? Ive bought a spool of #60 tarred line, and have been buying 20lb and up dumb bell weights at garage sails for anchors.

One of the guys i hunted with last year used cut in half dumb bell weights for anchors on his long lines and they worked well. How far apart are you spacing your ducks on your long lines, and how many ducks per line are you planning on running?

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
I plan on doing 4-6 long lines with 12-18 decoys per line. I think I will do a few 90' lines but a couple 120's as well. No quite sure how much just yet. I continue to research layouts and how they will work with what I am trying to do. I have reached out to numerous members on here and over on Facebook at the Waterfowlers page. A lot of good info to be had from both these places. Also, the Refuge forum has helped me tremendously to help steer me in the way of blind designs. In the picture, all the decoys in the background were once mallards that we repainted. Best of luck to you this upcoming season.