Pea Food Plot

Famous Amos

I will be planting 1/4 acre food plot of cowpeas or iron clay peas. Should I plant the peas by itself or could I plant a little clover or oats with them?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Plant peas and sunflowers, they do very well together and plant lots of extra peas this time of year because of the varmints and heat.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
1/4 acre is not a very big plot. I would do a pea sunflower mix for now as it wont be long till you replant a fall plot. I would try to establish a clover plot there in the fall/winter. If they eat it down it will keep coming back. As a example our 6 acre pea plot lasted 3 weeks and we will be replanting it again next week.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This time of year you are gonna want iron and clay peas or cow peas, something that will germinate quickly and can survive hot and dry weather. If the deer leave them alone for a few weeks and let them establish, they will live well into fall and even up until the first hard frost.

hrcarver

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If you are planting in early september, peas. brassicas, and oats work. The deer should wipe out the peas immediately, leaving you a nice plot of oats and brassicas as long as the brassicas are not too thick.