• All The Same Caliber Firearms

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Different Caliber Firearms

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
I am nowhere near as optimistic as you. I think the number who would refuse the order might be around 20%.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

neither one of us will ever know I hope , but just knowing the folks I know who are serving now , my guess would be much higher.....that's what I use as a gauge.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
I'm not nearly as optimistic as buckshooter either. I think we have plenty of troops that will fire on citizen's if given the order..

And a real bad case scenario would be the power grid going down for a length of time, folks will get hungry real quick boiling over into chaos everywhere...

That's a really good point firefly....without electricity or water....well it doesn't end well for anyone...

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
For me i like having several calibers but make sure that i have both rifle and handguns that will use the same standardized cals. Also i like to have alot of ammo, but i dont stockpile thousands of rounds for my 35 remy or other hunting only cartridges. Generally a few boxes of their preferred ammo is plenty; i save the hoarding for rifle/handgun ammo that.
1. I have several that shoot the cal. 2. Generally are higher capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buffleheadnc2

I think the best survival round is the 22. It can kill any thing from a robin for supper to a 250 lb man with bad Intentions. I would have a few pistols and longguns all in 22 caliber preferable that one be a single shot. My thoughts on survival are getting far away from civilization and remain fairly mobile. The 22 is awesome simply because of its versatility on game and you can put a few hundred rounds in your pocket and many thousands of rounds in a backpack.

My preferred set up:

2 .22LR Revolver's
1 Semi-Auto .22 LR Long Gun
2 Bolt Action-Scoped .22LR Long Guns
1 Single Shot 12 Gauge Shotgun
1 Pump Action 12 Gauge Shotgun
Marlin .30-30 Lever Action Rifle, Scoped

Reasoning behind that particular set up, for starters, I'd prefer a revolver, because in the scenario were talking about, I would assume a revolver, over time would be more reliable, less moving parts to worry about. The semi-auto .22, for small game hunting and personal defense. The bolt action .22's with a scopes for mainly hunting. Single shot 12 gauge for hunting. The pump 12 gauge personal defense mainly. And the Marlin .30-30 for hunting, personal defense and everything in between. I personally own one and love that rifle. You would be very hard pressed to find a more reliable firearm. You can stock up on and carry a ton of .22's and its a common caliber. The 12 gauge is the by far the most common shotgun and it can be a pretty devastating force.

So, how would you guys feel about this set up?

Last edited:

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Only real draw back is future availability of 30-30 ammo, and im talking from a total shut down of society ect ect. Id recommend at least one rifle that will take one of the many surplus Nato or Russian ammo types. If your worried about reliability over time id suggest a Mosin Nagant. You can pick up 440 rounds and a rifle for around $300 at most gun shows. There is a wide availability of aftermarket parts and being 7.62x54R its no slouch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
I remember a few years back 440 rounds of 7.62 x 54 ammo for the Mosin was like 35 bucks from Navy arms..

GTO ONE

Eight Pointer
I like 762x54r and 762x39. Don't store all in one place. Seems to me the corrosive stuff, commie block, lasts longer. I have some 762x54r that was made in 1943, no problems and what I am using to plink with in the PSL and Mossin.

Last edited:

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I think it is definitely prudent to have a .22 LR, 12 GA, and a handgun in a popular cartridge. After that, a rifle or two chambered in popular cartridges, and then maybe another handgun or two chambered in other popular cartridges. This way, if you come across ammo, you have a better chance of having a use for it. Better for bartering (either way) as well.

mekanizm

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I fully expect the mother of all ammo shortages to hit prior to the election. Zero has been setting the noose to stop the importation of small arms and ammo from what I can see and when this hits it will certainly be a game changer. I am not that sure that a full blown SHTF scenario will play out but with the impending sunami of robots and automation just a few years out, rampant unemployment could fuel one. I see the true value of ammo to be as a currency rather than as a weapon. If recent history is anything, .22 LR will be the currency of choice.

Harpoon

Why?

I aint going on tactical missions every day for rabbit burgers and possum nuggets (food)...and thats would it would be for anyone just to venture out of your "bunker" that at best might last ten minutes in any worse case SHTF event where you had to start shooting.

How long do you think the game will last when a few millions are out also "hunting" the same game?

In a worse case domestic situation......with no Mil or LE.......three days or so and your family and neighbors are now your enemy (hunger does that) and your having to shoot to kill people you know.

If its LE or MIL involved......and they get around to your "bunker" and want you.....you wouldn't last two minutes at the most.

A terror attack I assume for arguments sake, would most likely be radiation,....so IODINE PILLS would be what people are killing for.....but again...roving bands of tens of thousands of dying CRAZY people.....whats the point?

* People go CRAZY after events like these out of fear of radiation death...anxiety, PTSD, Stress...BAT CHXT CRAZY is what they will be!

We dont live in East Bum Flock either....so you would have a thousand "neighbors" dragging you out in the first week......beacuse they may suspect you are a prepper, and you may have IODINE PILLS, FOOD, and WATER...screw the ammo...whats the point?

These discussions are alwys based on the "prepper" and his "rational planning" for an after event where chaos rules and "everyone else is supposed to act like they did before the event" .

People you know will become savages, and with any extreme after event, you will absolutely 0 "control" left that would allow for adequate protection, and survivable status for more then two/three days.

Harpoon

I fully expect the mother of all ammo shortages to hit prior to the election. Zero has been setting the noose to stop the importation of small arms and ammo from what I can see and when this hits it will certainly be a game changer. I am not that sure that a full blown SHTF scenario will play out but with the impending sunami of robots and automation just a few years out, rampant unemployment could fuel one. I see the true value of ammo to be as a currency rather than as a weapon. If recent history is anything, .22 LR will be the currency of choice.

Absolutely....and with the DOJ moving 41 P to December, its going to be quite the Prez "raspberry" farewell to pro firearm / trust owners, I think.....

They are getting the paperwork in order....(imo) so kiss those NFA regulated items goodbye unless CLEO will sign off (and vast majority have said they will not).

That should spook the ammo market again for another two years.....

Harpoon, you have some good points, but, I just don't really accept what your saying as an option in an end game event. You ask Why and whats the point?

The point and why is to have even just a sliver of a chance for survival. If i'm understanding your post right, your plan of action for a chaotic event, basically, is to lay down in your yard and die? Or yet, just let every tom, dick and harry with a stick take your food, guns,etc.

Why?
whats the point?
whats the point?

Last edited:
Homebrew, I never said I was. In fact, I wouldn't really give myself a big chance for long term survival. But, I do know, that If I'm able, I'm gonna fight my hardest to survive. No matter the situation.

I would think, hope, that everyone would do the same.

You're not Rambo.

Last edited:

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Homebrew, I never said I was. In fact, I wouldn't really give myself a big chance for long term survival. But, I do know, that If I'm able, I'm gonna fight my hardest to survive. No matter the situation.

I would think, hope, that everyone would do the same.

Sure, but how many rounds of ammo do you need to survive? 20,000? 10,000? 1000?

I'm a math nerd. There are 319 million people in the US. If everyone is a great shot (never miss) and has to kill one person every day to survive, the population of the US would be down to 304 people after you have shot your first box of 20 cartridges. It's a classic exponential decay problem. At this point, you may have trouble finding anyone to shoot. If everyone misses every other shot, you need two boxes of cartridges to get to 304 people. Even if you're one of the last standing, you'll never come close to even shooting 1000 rounds. Preppers stocking up on tens of thousands of rounds are deluded.

Last edited:
Well, yes, that is a valid point. I don't disagree with anything your saying.

But, I do disagree with Harpoons general attitude regarding a SHTF event. I mean, from what I can gather, if we find his home, we've hit the jackpot. It'll be a guy standing outside a house, with a sign that reads "Take What You Want, Whats The Point?"

Sure, but how many rounds of ammo do you need to survive? 20,000? 10,000? 1000?

I'm a math nerd. There are 319 million people in the US. If everyone is a great shot (never miss) and has kill one person every day to survive, the population of the US would be down to 304 people after you have shot your first box of 20 cartridges. It's a classic exponential decay problem. At this point, you may have trouble finding anyone to shoot. If everyone misses every other shot, you need two boxes of cartridges to get to 304 people. Even if you're one of the last standing, you'll never come close to even shooting 1000 rounds. Preppers stocking up on tens of thousands of rounds are deluded.

Last edited:

Harpoon

Harpoon, you have some good points, but, I just don't really accept what your saying as an option in an end game event. You ask Why and whats the point?

The point and why is to have even just a sliver of a chance for survival. If i'm understanding your post right, your plan of action for a chaotic event, basically, is to lay down in your yard and die? Or yet, just let every tom, dick and harry with a stick take your food, guns,etc.

Just being a realist.....

If it were to get to any of the levels mentioned.........having a gun would'nt extend your life very long...so why bother?

I can think of another activity I would rather do during my last few days on earth......;)

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I look at it this way. You can spend thousands of dollars buying ammo and guns, thousands on canned goods and toilet paper, tens of thousands on a bunker prepping for an extremely unlikely event or you could take all that money and invest it for retirement which is a very likely event if you don't die early. I'll go with the odds.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Same opinion, I'd want different weapons for different circumstances. I'm partial to my varmint gun for "long distance communications", a 12 ga and .40 Glock (might even consider the Taurus Judge also) for up close "conversations.

Bryan H.

Button Buck
I think it's better to have different calibers, and a way to reload for them. If you had a 25-06 and a 20 guage, for example, and you keep a good supply of #4 buckshot on hand you could drill out a few rifle shells for shotgun primers and load them with a single buckshot. That will take care of your small game nicely, now you can roll around the woods with a detachable mag full of full power cartridges, and have a couple squibbs between your fingers for squirrels and such. You could also put a small red dot or reflex sight on top of your scope, and zero that for the squibbs. Now you are loaded for big game/defense and small game at the same time, but you can also leave the scatter gun with your old lady.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
God will save us all....

Why worry about Guns, Gold, Silver, or food.

Put your faith in him...

Most of you have read the following before but I thought Mr. Gadget's post was a good setup for it.

A very religious man was once caught in rising floodwaters. He climbed onto the roof of his house and trusted God to rescue him. A neighbour came by in a canoe and said, “The waters will soon be above your house. Hop in and we’ll paddle to safety.”

“No thanks” replied the religious man. “I’ve prayed to God and I’m sure he will save me”

A short time later the police came by in a boat. “The waters will soon be above your house. Hop in and we’ll take you to safety.”

“No thanks” replied the religious man. “I’ve prayed to God and I’m sure he will save me”

A little time later a rescue services helicopter hovered overhead, let down a rope ladder and said. “The waters will soon be above your house. Climb the ladder and we’ll fly you to safety.”

All this time the floodwaters continued to rise, until soon they reached above the roof and the religious man drowned. When he arrived at heaven he demanded an audience with God. Ushered into God’s throne room he said, “Lord, why am I here in heaven? I prayed for you to save me, I trusted you to save me from that flood.”

“Yes you did my child” replied the Lord. “And I sent you a canoe, a boat and a helicopter. But you never got in.”

Bryan H.

Button Buck
Not a bad idea to keep food, water, weapons, and ammo on hand. I don't think it will bankrupt you, and it will probably get you through a natural disaster or a bad riot. In the event that I and my family need a bunker to survive, I think I'd rather not be here at all. If you need a bunker, you are probably not gonna last long anyway- and under those circumstamces, there's a pretty good chance that the end times are near anyway

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk