Boone and Crockett buck on gameland

Doc

Twelve Pointer
Chuck Chandler did kill a 171-inch 8-pointer about 10 years ago. It did come off the little section of the Pisgah National Forest that's in extreme western corner of Watauga County. He was hiking in an hour one way, had a ground blind built out of natural materials. I think he actually filmed the kill. I put my hands on the rack and took photos, but they're all slides. It was 30 inches inside -- almost had points subtracted because it was so wide, but beams were about 31 each. He had it scored by a Buckmasters scorer, but never by B&C. As I recall, he had something against the B&C folks for some reason. A Buckmasters guy from the foothills scored it, seems like his last name was Mason, so the numbers are there, and they added up to 171 net typical. Didn't know he had died. He lived almost right on the Watauga/Wilkes line a mile or so off US 421. There was a story about the deer in NC Game & Fish. The only other B&C buck from NC that came from anything like public land was the 14-pointer killed at Fort Bragg about the same time by Lucas Hinerman, a warrant officer from Northern Virginia.

Wow that's impressive. Do you still have copies of the slides?

gameland

Twelve Pointer
I don't know about him but back when I was young and not so bright I drug a Boone and Crockett spike 1.5 miles. No way in the world would I shoot a spike anymore but at the time I was in the brown it's down club.😎

Combine_corn

I knew Chuck, and he was an odd ball... Good hunter, but his story don't add up, im not 100% on board with it. but....The deer was a beast, still is. I wonder where the rack is?? Chuck wrote a book about the big bucks from Ashe Allegheny Watauga, Wilkes golden triangle. I knew he had passed. He had some big bucks on his wall.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Originally posted by wturkey01

In passing thru Mills River the past 2 days I've seen dead deer laying beside 280..........in the Sweetwater Rd vicinity.

The rut is on boys!!!!!!

You wouldn't happen to be ridiculing this post because I don't live in a high-density area.........would you??

MoBucks

Old Mossy Horns
You wouldn't happen to be ridiculing this post because I don't live in a high-density area.........would you??
I don't have a clue where you live..... wait till the 1st week of Oct.... and every subtle detail about deer movement results in the same response..... then you'll understand.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't have a clue where you live..... wait till the 1st week of Oct.... and every subtle detail about deer movement results in the same response..... then you'll understand.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It's July.

If I misinterpreted your post, I'll apologize......it appeared you were making fun.

Last edited:

Doc

Twelve Pointer
It's July.

If I misinterpreted your post, I'll apologize......it appeared you were making fun.

In October, many on this site will swear the rut is full bore if they happen to see a decent buck trotting across the road. Many people jump the gun. Mo was jesting at that, not towards what you were saying turkey.

Last edited:

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
In October, many on this site will sweat the rut is full bore if they happen to see a decent buck trotting across the road. Many people jump the gun. Mo was jesting at that, not towards what you were saying turkey.

I've seen 'em chasing 366 days out of the year. I swear.

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
In October, many on this site will sweat the rut is full bore if they happen to see a decent buck trotting across the road. Many people jump the gun. Mo was jesting at that, not towards what you were saying turkey.

This.

Sent from wherever I was at the time...

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
What I am seeing is a huge 8pt buck that could easily score over 160.
That is a world class deer.
Wonder where the horns are now?

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If I'm not mistaken, that's a picture of the Moore county buck they were discussing. I could be wrong.

dont get that gossip started...no need to come here for deer either...

Aaaaaand I shouldve read the time/date stamp

Last edited:

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Scored over 170

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cannot see 171 inches of antler no matter how hard I try {Buckmasters does not use width in its measurements].
But this is still a great buck to be taken anywhere.

Last edited:

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Here are 2 of the biggest 8 pt bucks EVER taken/found. The harvested buck scored 179+ B&C and I have not seen an official score on the "picked up" rack but it is less than 190 B&C.
Can anyone here compare the rack in post #72 and only see 8-12 inches difference to the racks in this post?01_nawkemble_121911.jpggreat 8.jpg

Last edited:

MoBucks

Old Mossy Horns
Here are 2 of the biggest 8 pt bucks EVER taken/found. The harvested buck scored 179+ B&C and I have not seen an official score on the "picked up" rack but it is less than 190 B&C.
Can anyone here compare the rack in post #72 and only see 8-12 inches difference to the racks in this post?View attachment 53856View attachment 53857

It was in a North American Whitetail Magazine article that stated it scored 171.... and that pic doesn't do it justice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ashebuckhunter

I had the mount for some time holding on to it for Chuck's son. The deer does score 171 and some change b&c scoring. It's a hell of a deer especially being taken from Watuaga county in 2004.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
The Rampola buck was huge!! The only thing wrong about that deer was the ears. Ive never seen a bucks ear droop like that before....

I do know of a tract of gamelands that gets ran with dogs and one of the members in the club killed a buck that scored in the 160s off of it back in the 70s or 80s.

PaperBoy

That photo is not of the Chandler buck. His big 8-pointer had very chocolate-colored horns, extremely dark. As I remember, he wanted to take it to Dixie Deer Classic, wanted a booth where he could sell videos of the kill and of several other huge Pisgah National Forest deer he killed -- 140s to 160 -- but they had a waiting list for booths, he couldn't get one, so he never took it. Guy from Buckmasters who scored it. I saw the score sheet. I'll try to dig up the slides, see if I can get one scanned.