NCTA Trappers College April 8-10, 2016

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The NEW - NCTA Trappers College

The NCTA is offering additional trapping education through a trappers college workshop that will last for three days, a Friday through Sunday. This trapping training workshop is primarily field oriented and most of the time is spent in the field setting traps, learning about traps and equipment, learning about habitat, animal habits, and considerations that will help to improve your catches. Additionally, there will be time spent addressing trap modification, fur handling, and animal damage control. Special educational use permits from the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission will allow attendees to set traps outside of the regular trapping season. This will give individuals the opportunity to further their knowledge by running an actual live trapline with many of the professional knowledgeable trappers in the state.

Most animals caught will be released except for maybe a few males to show proper euthanasia/dispatch methods and for skinning/fleshing demonstrations. Students do not have to attend the basic trapping class in order to participate in the trappers college but it is recommended especially if you are new to trapping. The trappers college costs $400 per person or $350 for early registration which covers all the meals from dinner the night of arrival through lunch the afternoon of departure, all snacks and drinks, and lodging for both nights are included. See you, rain or shine!

Make history and plan to attend the first NCTA Trappers College April 8-10, 2016 at the Eastern 4-H Center near Columbia in Tyrrell County in the northeastern part of the state.

Registration is open. If we do not have at least 24 registered and paid by December 31, 2015 the workshop will be postponed into 2017. There will be no refunds for cancellations or no shows. Refunds will be given only if the workshop is cancelled or postponed.

Registration Fee = $400 or $350 if paid by December 1, 2015
Covers all meals, drinks, snacks and lodging.

To reserve your seat make checks payable to the North Carolina Trappers Association (NCTA) and mail to:

Todd Menke
2663 Tar River Road
Creedmoor, NC 27522

For additional information or to pay by credit card, please contact our Education Coordinator, Todd Menke, at minkster1971@gmail.com

View attachment NCTA Trappers College 2016 Tenative Draft Agenda.pdf

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
This is the BEST deal going for beginning trappers....it'll shorten your learning curve by decades. I took this class a few years ago.

Most folks don't know that to learn/ride with a pro trapper costs $250-300/day...to learn from a guy with 50 yrs experience. BUT THIS CLASS has a group of teachers with over 300 yrs combined experience, for only $100 (or $50) more AND lodging and meals included.

WHAT A STEAL OF A DEAL !!!!!!

The other trappers college is a week long and over $1,000...and in Indiana.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I was getting psych'd to attend when I realized it was right smack in the middle of my turkey season efforts,,,,,,,,

odie408

Ten Pointer
I was getting psych'd to attend when I realized it was right smack in the middle of my turkey season efforts,,,,,,,,

Glad you pointed that out. Hummmm, Turkey hunt the dwendling flock or learn to better trap what's eating them.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes, that is unfortunate for next year. That was the only date we could get the facility. The class has been being in mid May and we wanted to move it back so it was not as hot.
This date change also pushes back the sign up period and we knew this would short cycle us this year. We are also planning to rotate between 3 different locations in the future as well.

We will try to plan better next time so the schedule does not interfere with turkey season.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Glad you pointed that out. Hummmm, Turkey hunt the dwendling flock or learn to better trap what's eating them.

I already trap Sir,,,,I was wanting to attend for the comraderie and never know, could learn something,,,,,,,,,,,

and not a dwindling turkey flock where I hunt,,,,North or South Carolina,,,,,,,,,

odie408

Ten Pointer
Sorry Woodmoose, was speaking for myself not about you. Just didn't know if (I) wanted to miss out on turkey hunting or trap ed.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
The class is a few days, turkey season is a few weeks…I'd encourage you to go ahead and sign up for the class…?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Aaahhh,,,,but then I cross a state line and keep on keepin' on,,,,,,,

may change my mind,,,,dang NCTA sent me an email on this same thing,,,,,,,,,

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
Where could my son and i take a basic trapping class prior to trapping college?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Time is running short to register for the discounted rate. This would make a great gift for someone interested in getting into trapping.