Would you support 'qdm' on game lands?

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I would support it if they only issued licenses to minors and people that didn't live at home with daddy.

cklem

No, it doesn't work with the public, it only makes a difference on privately managed property. GA is a prime example, this theory has decimated the GA public land deer population. In short , with the liberal doe harvests and the protection of small bucks, they have literally killed the seed out, meaning does.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
No...I think asking the government to put regulations on public hunting for the sole purpose of trophy hunting. Then it becomes a welfare line for trophy hunters.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
No, it doesn't work with the public, it only makes a difference on privately managed property. GA is a prime example, this theory has decimated the GA public land deer population. In short , with the liberal doe harvests and the protection of small bucks, they have literally killed the seed out, meaning does.

^This. A lot of public land cannot stand liberal doe harvest.

Now closing GL's or sections there of to deer hunting and allowing only small game, turkey and bear hunting would be a better answer. Would allow hunters other than deer hunters to use a GL without conflict. A rotation of 3 years would allow for an older age class of deer and let the herd prosper. These areas would have to be large enough to make a difference, 1000's of acres. So that would limit it to just a few GL's around the state.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
Yes if it was quality deer management and not quality buck management

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Yes if it was quality deer management and not quality buck management

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with that is that the vast majority of deer hunters and even the "trophy hunters", couldn't tell you the difference in the two.

cklem

^This. A lot of public land cannot stand liberal doe harvest.

Now closing GL's or sections there of to deer hunting and allowing only small game, turkey and bear hunting would be a better answer. Would allow hunters other than deer hunters to use a GL without conflict. A rotation of 3 years would allow for an older age class of deer and let the herd prosper. These areas would have to be large enough to make a difference, 1000's of acres. So that would limit it to just a few GL's around the state.
I see you think like me. I would be for closing section for a couple years at a time, but when opened , should be a quota type hunt, otherwise it could be counter productive if the gates were opened for hundreds of wide eyed hunters wanting to hunt an area that has been closed for a while. We both know how that would turn out.

Ceehawk37

Ten Pointer
My answer to the original question would be no. I don't think public land should be managed for trophy deer. It should be managed for the health of the herd. I realize the state has finite resources and they can only do so much. I'd be for limiting the gun days on some tracts, but allowing bow hunts for the full season. I am biased because that's how the WMA's I hunted in AL did it this way. I feel it strukes a good balance between the hunters and the herd. Plus the way it is done there is that you have to check in the deer you kill. On the 2-3 day gun hunts typically a biologist from the state is there to age and collect data on the harvested deer, which is used to set seasons the next year.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
we should try it on some piece of GL for several years and see what jon q. hunter thinks about it after it is in place for a while.

Jordan would be ideal.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
^ I think that is certainly a reasonable idea. If it works out well for the herd and the hunters, maybe folks will do it on their own.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There's a lot more to QDM than deer management, and even though I'd vote no..there's some things like habitat management and age structure that can be used to manage game lands more effectively. Quota hunting, like some have mentioned is part of the QDM ideal as well..so there are good things that can come out of pieces and parts of their program.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
In order to successfully manage a tract of land, it takes time, manpower and financial support. The State of North Carolina is NOT going to invest those resources in order to enact QDM practices, so this is really just a hypothetical debate.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
we should try it on some piece of GL for several years and see what jon q. hunter thinks about it after it is in place for a while.

Jordan would be ideal.

Jordon would be difficult. There is a lot of private land right next to the game land. Easy to sit next to the boundary and shoot what comes across.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
In order to successfully manage a tract of land, it takes time, manpower and financial support. The State of North Carolina is NOT going to invest those resources in order to enact QDM practices, so this is really just a hypothetical debate.

you realize that same argument was made concerning Sunday hunting? That NC would never do that.

remember that the NCWRC has that ammo tax money. They HAVE to spend it somewhere.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
They could help pay for it by managing the forests properly. Sell some lumber and open up the canopy / create better habitat for the wildlife in one shot.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns

NC already has some quota/permit only game lands.

Would that not be a start to 'qdm' on game lands?

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
you realize that same argument was made concerning Sunday hunting? That NC would never do that.

remember that the NCWRC has that ammo tax money. They HAVE to spend it somewhere.

I realize that a lot of folks said NC would never allow hunting in Sunday and it happened. But there was little to no cost associated with that, other than the salary spent on too many unnecessary meetings.

They have received the funds from ammo tax for quite a while now, and so far, it has not gone into improving habitat or management of game lands. I am sure there have been some hefty salary increases though.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
NC already has some quota/permit only game lands.

Would that not be a start to 'qdm' on game lands?

That is like starting in the middle and working your way out. If the land cannot sustain a complete hunting season, why open it to hunting at all. I don't think it has anything to do with QDM, it has more to do with revenue as permits are not free.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
That is like starting in the middle and working your way out. If the land cannot sustain a complete hunting season, why open it to hunting at all. I don't think it has anything to do with QDM, it has more to do with revenue as permits are not free.

I doubt the WRC is making a lot of money off of 5 dollar permits.....................

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
South Mountain would be an excellent place. They could make CRC the resident Barney, sans the bullet.