Dove hunters in raleigh area

MINCColton

Hey all!

The dove season is coming SOON and I can't wait to give it a shot (*nudge nudge*). Dove hunting was illegal in MI and it sounds like a blast. I don't even know where to start though. Is anyone in the Raleigh area willing to bring a new guy out on a dove hunt??? (I have a lot of hunting/shooting experience - just not dove).

Looking forward to meeting some of you!!!

Thanks in advance!

Sfy03

Six Pointer
Contributor
Keep your eyes on CraigsList, several local farms post ads offering opening day hunts. I believe some were posted here as well. Me and hopefully a few guys from work are going to head to a shoot on opening day, shoot me a PM if you end up not finding anywhere else and want to tag along with us.

MINCColton

Thanks for the tip Sfy03! I'll keep an eye on CL. I would LOVE to join you guys for a hunt. PS sent.

MINCColton

Just a crazy thought here - it might be totally stupid but what the heck.

Tonight I was on on a MTB ride in the Wake Forest area (where I usually ride). I was cruising around some fairly populated areas, neighborhoods and the such, and notice dove EVERYWHERE. I was just thinking about how I would love to hunt all those birds but there is no way in the world to shoot a shotgun anywhere even CLOSE to these areas so I got to thinking. Would it be legal, and worth while, trying a slingshot?. Are there any other options you can think of that would be safe in an urban setting?

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I think some guys on the forum held a hunt back in the winter. Cant recall the user name that was putting the hunt on right now.

rustvyper

Ten Pointer
I think some guys on the forum held a hunt back in the winter. Cant recall the user name that was putting the hunt on right now.

We'll probably do the January hunt again this year. We haven't discussed doing a traditional September hunt.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
There are dove fields around Jordan and Falls/Butner. There is usually a few folks at both.

BSA7MM

Try out Drake Landing. It is a little expensive, but there are a ton of birds and they throw in lunch. I hunted there last year and had a great time.

MINCColton

Try out Drake Landing. It is a little expensive, but there are a ton of birds and they throw in lunch. I hunted there last year and had a great time.

I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip.