Creek bottom food plot

MikeBlan

Spike
Looking for some help in starting a new food plot on a creek bottom. Last winter I clear out an acre size area in hopes to start a new plot. The area gets plenty of sun(maybe 6-8 hours) and is bordered by an immature cut over on one side and a small creek kind of wraps around it. I have had a camera hung on the area for about 7 months and have never seen it flood, but probably has the potential to, but the water wouldn't stay very long. My question is what should I be considering planting? I don't have time to lime this area, but im hoping there is decent soil with it being surrounding by the small creek. I'd love to do some type of clover. I won't be able to get a bush hog in this area but can access with a 4 wheeler and a spayer. the area has already been sprayed and am planning on tilling it as well. Any suggestions will be extremely helpful! Mike

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That sounds like an ideal place for clover although it needs a bit more direct sunlight to reseed itself which means you may have to overseed yearly until you get a good stand established. The only negative that I can see is the need for a soil test as many hardwood trees and their leaves contribute to a acid soil. I'd suggest going ahead and spreading lime now since you'll have time for it to start working before you plant in the fall. You can always use a combination of brassicas and/or peas with oats as well, as many do well in that type of plot.
Good luck, those creek bottom plots are my favorites to hunt and can be very productive and easy to grow.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You going to have to put out some lime if you want clover to grow. Sandy loamy soil will not need as much lime but heavy red clay will need the lime. Crimson clover and white dutch clover grows on acidic soil but deer would rather have a larger white clover like ladino. You better lime or you won't be able to grow nothing but ryegrass or winter rye.

MikeBlan

Spike
Good advice guys. If I lime now, and plant either late August early september, will that be enough time for the lime to kick it and start working?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Some co-ops will have the high calcium lime as well..it looks like a big pile of sugar typically and is much cheaper than the bagged stuff. You can always dress the plot with dolomite and then top dress it with the solu-lime to get things working much faster for this season. Typically lime binds with the soil in 3 months or so, but it starts working much sooner than that reducing the acidity of the soil.

hrcarver

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yes you need to lime it asap. I'm going to venture a guess that it is also terribly short on phosphorus and potash. Most "new" spots typically need around 800 lbs per acre of 4-24-24 or similar fertilizer. After you ever get it right, it will probably hold fairly well but it takes a lot to get a new spot off to a good start. A simple soil test will save you the guesswork. Go ahead and put a ton of lime to start (will not over do it) but you still have time for accurate fertilizer recommendations from the state lab.

Last edited:

MikeBlan

Spike
Thanks guys. Im going to plan to till and spread solu lime out this weekend. Ill plan to plant ladino maybe last week of august, first of september. Will I put fertilizer out when I seed?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Go ahead and till in the fertilizer when you lime it..use a low nitrogen fertilizer if possible for the clover but use plenty of it as stated previously. I'd try and find durana as well as ladino, to give you a idea of what does best in those conditions. Durana is very drought resistant once established, deer and turkeys absolutely love the smaller leaves.
You don't need to till in the seed, just broadcast it and drag it in and roll it, or run over it with your 4 wheeler to make certain the seed makes good soil contact. Your at the mercy of the rain this time of year, but hopefully it will cooperate. Make absolutely certain that your seed has been inoculated as that makes a huge difference in the success rate of germination.