North Carolina has too many black bears

Does NC have too many bears?

• Total voters

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
That is one of the dumbest things I have ever read!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
That is one of the dumbest things I have ever read!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The population of black bears has been on the rise for decades — it’s more than doubled in the past 20 years alone — and needs to be reined in, according to the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission. The obvious solution is getting hunters to hunt more of them. The trick, however, is getting the formula right.

Too many bears, too many elk, too many deer..................................

Exploding bear population in the mountains? If memory serves, the black bear population has just recently began to come back in the mountains. For a long time, if I asked someone where they thought the best place to hunt a bear is, it was somewhere near the coast.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The North Carolina Bear Hunters Association fought the NCWRC tooth and nail over baiting. They lost.

But they will fight the NCWRC tooth and nail over any other changes to bear hunting too.

The baiting debate went on for several years before it was enacted.

Changes to deer hunting do not bring near the controversy that changes to bear hunting does.

Mr Carraway, the biologist interviewed, fully understands this.

Last edited:

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Exploding bear population in the mountains? If memory serves, the black bear population has just recently began to come back in the mountains. For a long time, if I asked someone where they thought the best place to hunt a bear is, it was somewhere near the coast.

I didn't read anywhere that the article said there are more bears in the mountains than on the coast!! It merely said the population is exploding.

The easiest place to bear hunt is on the coast........that's for sure.

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Funny after SomBrewin gets wrapped up we have too many bears... (Kidding, too good to pass up)

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Nope, we still have deer for them to eat. Then maybe they'll eat all the yotes.

Last edited:

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns

We've always had a big bear population. That doesn't take away from the fact that best areas to hunt are still down east. For one the terrain is easier. 2nd, the bears on the coast are also bigger because mild winters allow them the ability to not have to hibernate thus allowing them to forage all year and thus making bears on the coast, some of the biggest black bears in the country.

Last edited:

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
We've always had a big bear population. That doesn't take away from the fact that best areas to hunt are still down east. For one the terrain is easier. 2nd, the bears on the coast are also bigger because mild winters allow them the ability to not have to hibernate thus allowing them to forage all year and thus making bears on the coast, some of the biggest black bears in the country.

Killing a Bear in a field is easy in the east. Until you have crawled in the wax myrtles and shot one from 5 feet, or had one trample you in a tunnel with no weapon, and drug a 500lb one out of that nasty mess by hand, you wouldn't say it was easier.

The hunting is better in the east. More animals and bigger animals. But all private. Better know someone, have Bear dogs or deep pockets.

Last edited:

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Killing a Bear in a field is easy in the east. Until you have crawled in the wax myrtles and shot one from 5 feet, or had one trample you in a tunnel with no weapon, and drug a 500lb one out of that nasty mess by hand, you wouldn't say it was easier.

The hunting is better in the east. More animals and bigger animals. But all private. Better know someone, have Bear dogs or deep pockets.

I said the terrain was easier, and it is. As for more bears, you have more land. WNC is the smallest of the 3 regions. Still, there is an estimated 11,000 Black Bears and as noted, is still exploding. You can't go anywhere around here without seeing them these days.

You do have them bigger, but as noted, you don't have winters in which would force them to hibernate, hence why they get so fat.

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We have invisobears here in Forsyth county..as well as invisobiologists who seem to be able to count animals remotely. Those same invisobears are keeping me from hunting in the manner which I choose, and that just bothers me...I think I'll go and eat worms...:mad:

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Yeah, it's a picnic to drag a 200 lb bear up and down 100% sideslopes, across downed limbs, and thru laurel thickets where you cannot get a 4-wheeler or tractor within 2 miles!!

Bears don't even slide downhill because their hair is not slick like a deer.

It's still my personal opinion, that when a species "comes back" and its numbers are growing, NATURALLY, its a good thing. Don't have them where I live, like Eric, I live in Forsyth County and we don't see them here. Usually. I am pleased to hear that they are slowly coming back to the Hanging Rock state park area. Would be a real nice treat to actually catch a glimpse of one up there.

Last edited: