Summer Outdoor Work Gear

Just thought I'd ask, do any of you fellas know the best place to get clothing,etc. for working outside in the summer. I've got a few stretches of some serious weedeating coming up for about the next month. I am pretty pale skinned and have always burned fairly easy. I just ain't got the luxury of being one of those guys who can step out of the pickup and go to town all day, without worrying about sunburn. I am looking for some breathable long sleeve shirts and pants. I also would really like a performance work cap, with a neck shield. I've looked around locally, but, couldn't find one. Anything else you guys can think of to help stay cool, let me know. Thanks.

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
Get you some of that crap those pro bass fisherman wear. Kinda dress like your about to rob a business lol!

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Tractor Supply has all the stuff you might need from boots , to pants , shirts , to socks , gloves , the whole 9 yards...just expect it to be kinda pricey tho.

Trust me, it doesn't do a thing for me. When I was 16, we took a trip down to myrtle beach over the summer. I was already getting myself mentally prepared for the sunburn to come. I picked up a bottle of SPF 100, yes, 100. The strongest dose of sunblock I could find. It was a name brand, dermatologist recommend, all that jazz. Put it on just as described. The next day, I was as fried as the bacon we ate for breakfast that morning.

Sunscreen

Sounds like a plan.

Get you some of that crap those pro bass fisherman wear. Kinda dress like your about to rob a business lol!

Last edited:

the sarge

Six Pointer
A lot of the under armour heat gear has spf ratings and it dries pretty quick. I use it in the gym, hunting, and doing yard work.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Wally World sells Dickies brand work clothes, get the 100% cotton long sleeve khaki shirts, heavyweight 100% cotton khaki pants [they should be extra long for tucking into your rubber boots]. Tractor supply has 16 inch black rubber Lacrosse farmer boots, GOOD socks and a wide brim straw hat. Treat all the cloth with Premethrin for tick/chigger protection.
Wrap a wet hand towel around your neck [keep it wrung out and re-wet with cold water once it gets hot], put in some earplugs and weed-eat that mess down.

True words, spoken of experience I take it. Thanks for the tips.

Wally World sells Dickies brand work clothes, get the 100% cotton long sleeve khaki shirts, heavyweight 100% cotton khaki pants [they should be extra long for tucking into your rubber boots]. Tractor supply has 16 inch black rubber Lacrosse farmer boots, GOOD socks and a wide brim straw hat. Treat all the cloth with Premethrin for tick/chigger protection.
Wrap a wet hand towel around your neck [keep it wrung out and re-wet with cold water once it gets hot], put in some earplugs and weed-eat that mess down.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've gone to wearing a lot of the moisture wicking shirts. You can get either short or long sleeves for more sun protection. Pants, you will want something loose fitting, and light weight. However, polyester and nylon pants make my legs sweat, and they pick badly. Loose cotton Dickies are probably good. I have always worn broad brimmed hats to protect my face and neck from the sun.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns

Great advise. People overlook khakis for work. Love them when it's hot!

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Field and Stream makes some great work shirts that have a lot of the same features and fabrics as Columbia, for a lot less. Sams Club carries Field and Stream brand, and even had the long sleeve a few weeks back. If it's not in stores, you may still be able to buy it on-line on clearance.
Ditto on the khaki's..you can find Carhardt sometimes on sale and they will last many times longer than other brands for a little increase in initial cost.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I'm the same way about getting sunburnt. I have used alot of different types of sunscreen and the only thing that seems to work is the type in the spray bottle not lotion.
I even use my lil girls water babies spray and it worked alot better than the 75 or 100spf lotion.

crittergitter

Ten Pointer
It it were me doing the weed wacking I would wear one of my Columbia long sleeve shirts, my huge straw hat and my steel toe water proof work boots. I would never tuck my pants into my boots, great way for crap flying from the weed eater to fill up my boots. I would wear sunscreen on exposed skin and bug spray on my clothes. Make sure you stay hydrated and take plenty of breaks in the shade if you can. Also avoid overeating or eating anything rich in fat while you are working. If you are really worried about ticks and chiggers then duck tape your pants cuff to your boots so nothing can crawl up. Good luck and stay safe!
Also make sure you wear the proper PPE, safety glasses and hearing protection. Ear buds do not count as ear protection.

Last edited:

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
For performance/fishing shirts, buy under armor or Columbia. I've got a bunch of them and the knock offs are not nearly the same when put to use. The Omnis are excellent.k

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
In my experience, those high tech shirts only last until the first piece of brush snags them.
Call me old school but 100% cotton khaki shirts and pants will out last the high tech stuff 10 to 1. When I am trimming/weed-eating, I want some protection from those same pieces of brush and high tech don't give it.

double

Twelve Pointer
The mission heat towels actually work in my experience. They cost $15. Wet it wring it out amd snap it. I put it under my hat over the back of my neck and it works great