Grey Wolf & Couger Shot in North Carolina

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Looking for fellow members to help here if they have any knowledge of this? I'd love to know more about this if any of you recall any of it. These quotes are out of a published book, FYI.

It would not surprise me if USFWS released them!

Thanks so much - BR

"In 1986, a coyote turned up near Pungo Lake, west of the Alligator River Refuge."

"In that same year, two gray wolves and a cougar were released in the area by parties unknown."

"The cougar was shot and found to have an identifying tattoo in one ear." One wolf was shot by a Fish and Wildlife Service employee after it walked into his yard; on the basis of tooth wear, it was judged to have spent considerable time in captivity."

Last edited:

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Probably pets that somebody released when they realized it could eat them. I have a hard time believing USFWS would release gray wolves and Cougars here…

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
2 rednecks are at Bubba's Bar eating their pickled pigs feet and chugging their PBRs and one of them tells a tall tale and by the next morning it becomes "fact" and everybody has "known" about it for years......

Last edited:

BR549

Twelve Pointer
0ea49053b9ee8bbd2171f5b2ecde7dba.jpg

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Well there you go, it's official! With a generic copy of an email from someone, who can have any doubts!:rolleyes:

You kidding? On this site we could provide case numbers, pictures and news articles, and there would still be people who doubt and question :D

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Wouldn't shock me at all. I come from South Florida. We have wild cobras, pythons, nile crocodiles (new one), and many other animals on land. In the ocean and water you could practically supply a store with the exotics caught.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
Who knows??? There has always been and there will always be people and government agencies do stupid stuff.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
There have been numerous harmful releases in South Florida that where done by gov't officials.

That is a fact, that is why I said people and Govt. Agencies.

Florida is going to be overtaken by big snakes that were brought in by exotic reptile people. Not sure about the Nile Crocs, but I have seen big cats off of the Everglades Parkway.

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Well there you go, it's official! With a generic copy of an email from someone, who can have any doubts!:rolleyes:

I rcvd that message earlier via PM through NCHF. Opened in TapaTalk, screenshot & shared. Came from a regular NCHF member. Who states they were directly involved subsequent to the take.

Do the tattoos not tie these cats back to a breeding facility? There's more meat on this bone, I'm thinking...

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I rcvd that message earlier via PM through NCHF. Opened in TapaTalk, screenshot & shared. Came from a regular NCHF member. Who states they were directly involved subsequent to the take.

Do the tattoos not tie these cats back to a breeding facility? There's more meat on this bone, I'm thinking...
First you have to have documented evidence that said animals were even in existence.

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Grey Wolf & Couger Shot in North Carolina

Heck with a lip tattoo they may have been "Invented" in a captive Zoo Program!! lol...

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I know a fellow that swears he has seen space aliens also, you want an e-mail from him? I guess that makes it plausible?

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Wouldn't shock me at all. I come from South Florida. We have wild cobras, pythons, nile crocodiles (new one), and many other animals on land. In the ocean and water you could practically supply a store with the exotics caught.
I saw this morning where they've spotted manatees as far north as coastal NC. I know what a detrimental impact they had in Florida, they all but stopped navigation on some waterways where the manatees frequented. Welcome to the world of non-indigenous wildlife!

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
That is a fact, that is why I said people and Govt. Agencies.

Florida is going to be overtaken by big snakes that were brought in by exotic reptile people. Not sure about the Nile Crocs, but I have seen big cats off of the Everglades Parkway.

The nile cros are new. There are breeders in South Florida. They had regulations on minimum size for the containment structures and they suspect some of the babies may have slipped out and gotten loose. Between hobbyists, farmers and the gov't the everglades are a mess. The deer have to worry about gators, crocs and pythons. lol

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Peacock bass all in those canals down there, none of that crap was down there when I left in the 60's.

Not to toss gas on the fire. I've got a few friends who will swear they've seen them here. Even some people who say they've seen the ever elusive Black Cougar.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I remember hearing of two cougars in Hyde County in that time frame. They were released pets from the claims. Also know of a gray wolf that was killed in either North Hampton or Halifax County around the early 90's, also thought to be a pet release.

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns

I was just being sarcastic. Heck, I thought everyone was crazy when the fire ant sightings started, until I was lit up be a few dozen about 20 years ago. Critters walk, migrate, released by owners who have no use for them, it happens. No big deal. Can you imagine the eye rolling a couple hundred years ago when an Indian told another. ..I saw a white man? Probably thought he was crazy too.:D

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I was just being sarcastic. Heck, I thought everyone was crazy when the fire ant sightings started, until I was lit up be a few dozen about 20 years ago. Critters walk, migrate, released by owners who have no use for them, it happens. No big deal. Can you imagine the eye rolling a couple hundred years ago when an Indian told another. ..I saw a white man? Probably thought he was crazy too.:D
Yeah, but I bet they believed them when they started showing text messages and e-mails. LMAO

MoBucks

Old Mossy Horns
0f81498e7eff12a38282af87a4cb27cc.jpg
JoCo Puma..or Black Cougar.....:)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited: