Anyone here good with cars??

Scalf

Eight Pointer
Okay so I am having start up issues with my 2000 Toyota Tacoma (2.4 2wd). It's been doing this for a few years but it's going to drive me insane if I don't fix it now (I know I know... But it still will start every time so it has been easy to put off haha) So what happens is that when I turn the key to start it I get one loud click, then try again and click, click etc then it will eventually start every time (even when I lived in Minnesota for a bit during winter time) . I've had the battery checked and I Checked the voltage between the starter and battery and all numbers checked out fine (12.6 volts). When it's running the battery reads 14 volts so the alternator is fine as well. Another thing to mention is that when I have driven it for a while and get it warmed up and turn it off, it will start right back up the first time.
I have it narrowed down to either the starter itself or the solenoid but I'm just not sure. What do yall think?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My experience is, a bad starter will make a harsh, grinding noise. Sounds more like a solenoid to me.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
It could very well be the starter solenoid...If you see Hank on here, ask him he's a mechanic and has answered a lot of car questions on this site..

Scalf

Eight Pointer
Thanks for all the responses guys. I'm gonna yank my starter out when I get off work and have it tested and just replace the whole thing if that's what it is.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just a heads up. You have one of two issues. Starter solenoid is not operating correctly and can have two different causes. #1 can simply be a bad solenoid and is remedied by solenoid/starter replacement. #2 is an issue seen frequently on imports and is a low voltage to the starter post on solenoid. The fix for that is to install a remote (ford style) solenoid activated by the factory start wire with the battery feed post connected to battery and the starter feed side connected to the starter post on the starter mounted solenoid. Real simple yet effective fix.

HillBilly2

Four Pointer
If I were to go to the trouble of crawling underneath and removing the starter, I would put a new one on at the same time. It's 15 years old.

Scalf

Eight Pointer
If I were to go to the trouble of crawling underneath and removing the starter, I would put a new one on at the same time. It's 15 years old.

Exactly my thoughts which is why I just went ahead and bought the whole thing on my lunch break. Now I just gotta take the old one to autozone when I pull it out to get my 40 bucks back for the core lol

Scalf

Eight Pointer
Well I just finished up about 30 minutes ago and it's starting right up now. So relieved

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
It is the contacts in the starter. When energized, a plunger pulls down and connects across the contacts to send voltage to the motor part of the starter. They wear unevenly over time and the "click" is the plunger pulling down and not making full connection. usually after a few tries it will connect and start. I have seen this literally dozens of times with toyota starters on 22re's, 2rz and 3rz engines. Google "toyota starter contacts" and you will see what im talking about. Your dealer should have them for <$5 (or a bit more with the new stud and insulator), but there are several different types so you may need to take the old ones with you.

I would rather have a 15 year old Toyota starter with new contacts than a cheap parts store "reman" unit. YMMV

Last edited:

Scalf

Eight Pointer
I get that you can fix them and that's what I was planning but it was more about convenience than anything. I have to work tomorrow and just wanted to bang it out lol. The "cheap reman" has a lifetime warranty so...

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
I get that you can fix them and that's what I was planning but it was more about convenience than anything. I have to work tomorrow and just wanted to bang it out lol. The "cheap reman" has a lifetime warranty so...

That's cool. Some remans are better than others. As long as it's a decent quality one it should be fine.

mudflap

Ten Pointer
I would rather have a 15 year old Toyota starter with new contacts than a cheap parts store "reman" unit. YMMV[/QUOTE]

Same here!

tonyarcher128

Selenoid on starter going out need new starter

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk