What XTP?

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
I have decided to give the XTP bullets a try in my 50 cal Omega but would like recommendations on what XTP and sabot to use, XTP or XTP Mag.

firedawg60

Twelve Pointer
Either the .430 300 grain or .452 non-mag 300 grain. The other weights and Mag versions seem to get mixed reviews but these two are solid performers. Sabot choice can be trial and error. TC's generally have tighter bores and the crush ribs work well. If those are too loose, try either the Harvester short black or MMP HPH-24.

deerhunter28

Ten Pointer
I'm going to try the Hornady SST I think that's what they are called?
Pretty sure they are made for muzzleloader only.
Standard black MMP sabot.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
Use the standard XTP, not the XTP Mag. Over the past 30 years they have proven to be much more accurrate that the XTP Mag and with NC size deer the standard XTP will perform just fine.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
My buddy uses the 240gr and I use the 300gr, both in the .430 with the plain green Harvester sabot...

The reason I use the 300??? My Knight just loves them and a fellow on another forum shipped me
4 boxes and just asked that I pay him for the freight...I did send him an extra $10 a box if I remember
right...

Anyway, the deer don't know the difference between the two...

Clifford NC

mmp short black sabot with hornady .452 300 grain xtp (standard not magnum.)

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
I've killed several over the years with the .44 180gr and green sabot, 80 grains of Pyrodex in a 1/48 twist TC Hawken.

Last edited:

stormm4

Big Ole Nanny Doe
Green sabot, 44 cal. Xtp. shot today cutting bullet holes one on top of the other. Sticking to it for my optima pro.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I have the same gun and shoot the Barnes T-EZ 250 gr over 150 gr 777 pellets. It really shoots well. TCs have very tight bores and the T-EZ loads well. I can't help you with the XTPs, I can say they do a very good job on deer, shot many with an old CVA I had. Great blood trails.