Any 16 ga. afficianados?

ruffedgrouse1

Anybody like carryng a 16 ga. when either upland or small game hunting? What loads you pushing through them? Any pics of old, pretty 16's?

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Way back when I was a kid, I used a mid 1920s Winchester Model 12 in 16 gauge for hunting. Two years ago, I had a choice of inheriting this shotgun or a similar 12 gauge Model 12. I took the 12 gauge but I do sometimes think I should have taken the 16 gauge for sentimental purposes.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I have a Fox Mod. B in 16. Took the money I made from my first year priming tobacco and got it wholesale through an uncle who ran a country store. Cost me the whole $100 I made that summer. Killed my first deer with it and still have it.

wolfpacker

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
lasttombstone, If i am not mistaken i think my dad used tobacco money also , to buy his stevens 16 guage. I will have to ask him about it again when i see him. I have shot a few doves with it. Sometimes we trade off guns for a while if they are flying good.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I carried a mdl 12-16 ga from the time I was 8 to I was 16. I couldn't even imagine the number of squirrels, rabbits, ducks, doves, and one deer with it. My father talked me into trading it in on a Browning O/U 20 ga. Great trade, but I wish I had the mdl. 12 back. I have one just like it now, but it isn't 'that' one.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I tote one on an occasional rabbit hunt, and more often for dove. Hard to find shells for 16 gauge in local stores now.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Used to borrow mynuncles sterlingworth to dove hunt with growing up. Wish I could have bought it.

Gadwall

Ten Pointer
Love an old 16. One of my dream guns would be a Parker side by side in 16 bore. But a Belgium made humpback is also nice to carry in the woods.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 80_n.jpg
    80_n.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 0

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
From ages 7-11, I hunted with a 20 ga single barrel...I still pull the hammer back with both thumbs. $85 of tobacco money bought a used 16 ga Browning. Standard weight, no gold trigger, no vent rib. The Browning comes out once a year for opening day doves.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Had a rem mod 31. Killed a truckload of rabbits with it back in my beagle days. It's not a "must have" by no means but wouldn't mind a browning O/U in a 16.

adkarcher

Six Pointer
My father has a Belgium Browning sweet 16 that he carried for years. Hundreds of rabbits and many deer killed with that gun.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Still have my great-grandfather's J.C. Higgins 16 gauge side-by-side. Papa toted that for years till it got to heavy for him as he aged. Both my father and me killed our first deer with that shotgun. Gotta love #1 Buck ? Bill Gates doesn't have enough money to buy that gun off of me…

Joe

I have a Stevens made jc Higgins as well. I bought it a few years ago from an older fella who said it belonged to his father. The gun looks and locks up like new, I still can't believe the man would sell his daddy's gun. It's the first 16 I ever owned but now it's my favorite gun , you really can't beat those older guns in my opinion.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
Got a LC Smith field grade SxS 16ga, a Ithaca Flues grade 1 SxS 16ga, a Savage 720 (copy of JM Browning 1900 A-5 patent, Remington also made a copy called the model 11) 16ga, and a Winchester Model 12 in 16ga. I can't remember the last time I shot any of my 12ga's, as I have been shooting 16ga for the last 10 year at least.

Right now I am mainly shooting Rio 2.75" 3 dram 1oz #6 and 2.75" 3 dram 1oz #7.5. Me and a buddy bought 12 cases (six each #6 and #7.5) a few years back and split them. I still have 4 or 5 boxes of Winchester Super-X 3 dram 1oz #8's, as well as a couple boxes of Federal 2.75" #1 Buckshot.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Dad has a browning a-5 Belgium made 16 that's chambered in 2-9/16"
He has to order the ammo through herters

Beautiful gun with gold inlay in 95%+ condition.

Only shot it a few times but it sure is sweet.

I'd like to get a O/U 16 to grouse hunt with.
One cylinder and one improved

ruffedgrouse1

Very cool guys. Just don't hear much about this gauge. Acutally you hear less about this than a 28 gauge.

I am looking into adding one on the cheap just for the novelty of it. FYI, Found that Cabelas has cases of Herter's 16 ga ammo ranging from 65-80 bucks a case. Not a bad price by my research!