Wilson Creek

Joe

I'm thinking about heading up there the weekend and I'm curious about the water levels up that way, it's been pretty dry all summer here.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
No I don't live up that way, but it's safe to assume that water levels are low. Nearly every stream in WNC is low right now, so I don't think Wilson Creek will be any different. If you have to fish, fish the fast water where there are a lot of bubbles. In this heat and with low water, trout will be seeking oxygen. Deep holes near fast water can prove even better. Also look for shady, undercut banks.

Joe

No I don't live up that way, but it's safe to assume that water levels are low. Nearly every stream in WNC is low right now, so I don't think Wilson Creek will be any different. If you have to fish, fish the fast water where there are a lot of bubbles. In this heat and with low water, trout will be seeking oxygen. Deep holes near fast water can prove even better. Also look for shady, undercut banks.
Thanks for the info, and yes, I do "have to fish"

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
I think what alt is alluding to is that any fish caught And released at a lower elevation crick like that faces a poor chance of surviving. Lot of creek guys wait til rain to go fish. Jus' sayin.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
That is a great point Ashy, but I try not to be a catch and release snob like a lot of guys. I was alluding more that the fishing itself will not be as good right now as it will be in a month or so as the weather pattern changes and we receive more rain heading into the fall.

I did not mean for the comment to come off as being condescending at all.

BuckMark

Spike
hasn't been to dry for the swimmers! if you're heading up that way, head way up the river. Most of the holes from Edgmont on down had an innertube or two in each. it was about three weeks ago when I was there, so maybe with school back in it will thin out.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
hasn't been to dry for the swimmers! if you're heading up that way, head way up the river. Most of the holes from Edgmont on down had an innertube or two in each. it was about three weeks ago when I was there, so maybe with school back in it will thin out.

It's gotten worse, albeit Wilson usually has a little more volume than most in that area. Just down the road, Mt. Mitchell Golf Club just closed their stretch of the South Toe River, until further notice because it's gotten so low.

Southside

Ten Pointer
If you go fish from Mortimer up. Although I didn't look at the regs pay close attention the dates and type of stream up through there. If I'm not mistaken that part is all delayed harvest. Weekends are very crowded down on the hatchery supported parts of the Wilson. And yes watch for the water snakes. Those things are plentiful and very curious. Scare the crap out me almost every time I'm there.

Joe

We got up there Thursday morning around 10:00, my wife came along with me this trip. I went up north Harper creek around 2 1/2 miles , up above the falls where all the kids go swimming. There wasn't a lot of water as you'd expect, but enough to fish. There's some really deep pools up there with some still close to 5' right now. It's all wild trout up there and that's what I enjoy most, although it's usually ALOT more casting than catching :) The fishing was poor as was predicted, unless you count the probably 12-15 suckers and the biggest horny head I've ever seen, lol. I did catch one native, on a #14 Royal Wulff and spooked quite a few more. i didn't see any water snakes but I walked right by a copperhead and would have never known it had my wife not saw it, makes me wonder how many I've walked by before since I'm normally alone. Alt, I did not take your comment as condescending , I'm not that thin skinned :), I appreciate the advice from everyone. The reason for the post was I know the creeks can dry up to hardly nothing up there pretty quick so I was just looking for some local info before we left.

Huffy

Eight Pointer
I haven't been up there in a few years but there is some good fishing in the spring time