Alpha 100 Bundle

buckshot32182

Eight Pointer
I am about to order my bundle off Amazon. I am trying to make sure I get everything that I need. Please let me know what is needed besides collars and the Alpha 100. I need to know antenna's that I need, hook up's, truck mount etc. I want to make sure I have everything that I need. Thanks. I am using the easy Amazon credit system. Don't have that much cash on hand and being I can't put my hands on the equipment I need to know every piece I need. I deer hunt in NC, if anyone needs to know the terrain.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Personally I would just get the extra long antenna for the hand held and possibly get the truck antenna. I have the extra long for the hand held but I don't have one for the truck. The new collars will really let you reach out and track them. Some guys swear by the truck antenna but I try to stay on my dogs pretty tight so I generally don't need a truck antenna. Its just all according to how you like to hunt. We hunt river bottoms with some step hills, down there where you are on the coast I suspect dogs can check out and check out in a hurry on flat land, you may want to look at the truck antenna. The antennas should come with the hookups you need. As far as the unit itself goes, only thing I would make sure I had was PLENNTY of batteries. My Astro loves batteries, I would suspect the Alpha does too. Make sure you've got plenty of extra in the truck with you and youll be good to go.

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
Long range truck antenna, quick connects for long range truck antenna and alpha 100 antenna. Makes it nice incase you want to be mobile in a hurry. I also have a glosaver case that is pretty nice. The truck antenna is most definitely necessary IMO. Spend that extra $40-$50. And I almost forgot Birdseye.

Last edited:

whitty

Six Pointer
The alpha runs off a cell phone type rechargeable battery so you don't go through the batteries like the astro.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Wasting your money getting the extra long handheld antenna, they came with two, rubber duck and a longer flexible. You can get a 48" for the handheld and it won't make a hill of beans difference over the 18" flexible. The truck mount will at least double your range though.

Right here is something that is worth their weight in gold though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Alph...ent-3-Piece-/201021586806?hash=item2ecdd1fd76

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Birdseye, quick connects are a must. Get the TRAX truck antennae with the large(5") base limbs don't knock it of easily. Dash mount so you want be looking down when unit is hooked to the truck antennae. Mini SD card, with adapter makes it easy to down load maps from BaseCamp.

I bought an extra hand held to keep on the dash so I have one in the truck and one I can use out side the truck without having to swap it out all the time. Decided to do this after hunting a season.

Some of those charger adapters were you can charge two collars off the same charger are nice. Helps contain some of that clutter from a bunch of wires. I bought a small surge protector, two rows of 3 plugs that works well for keeping things organized when charging.

I also like the regular screen protectors, I tried the shatter proof one and the screen sensitivity was affected and I could not scroll on screen right.

Last edited:

buckshot32182

Eight Pointer
Love my system. Only problem is, one of my collars doesn't seem to want to work all the time. It is constantly showing a ? mark. The other two, no problem. Probably going to send it back to Garmin, $300 it should work all the time. I know they lose signal at times, but all the time is a little to much to handle.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
We found out that if the second number in the ID # was the same interference with a collar that was close would cause the collar to lose signal (?). I also have a couple of collars that will change back to 2 minutes for the update rate when charged and if I don't catch it when I turn out it will have ? marks until I change the update.

Garmin has great customer service and I have been pleased. They can and are glad to help.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I just got the dash mount and instead of screwing it down I siliconed it to the dash. Figured it worked on boats it would work in the truck too. It's been holding up good for about a year now, so I think I'm going good. The truck is used primarily for hunting though.

Last edited: