Duke Energy hot water heater insurance

624c

Six Pointer
Last night the hot water heater decided to start leaking in the garage. About a year or so ago, I signed up for the insurance for the hot water heater through duke energy, 6 dollars a month, $144 dollars thus far in 2 years. In addition to the water heater leaking, the valve for the water input broke, so I could not cut off the water at the tank. I had to cut it to the entire house.

With the leak from last night, I called the 800 number, and they had a plumber out here this afternoon. He was able to replace the valve on the spot, so at least now I have water in the house. Tomorrow they will come back and replace the entire unit. Out of pocket it cost me $50 for a new expansion tank (not covered under the insurance). So in total, the new system is costing me $194. You cant get a 50 gallon hot water heater for that price anywhere.

One line of fine print is that you must have the policy for at least 90 days before a claim can be made. I believe it also covers service calls, up to $850. There is no penalty for cancellation of the policy.

Just thought I would share this with everyone. It has been pretty painless and smooth thus far. Worth looking at if your hot water heater is starting to get old.

mudflap

Ten Pointer
If I had Duke power I would save my money by not buying insurance on a water heater. When it went out, I would just go To Lowe's or Home Depot and get me a new water heater for $400. I have had one for 13 years and one for 9 years and neither one has went out yet, look what I have saved! $936 on the 13 year old water heater, $648 on the 9 year old water heater. $1,584 total. Somebody always trying to sell you something!

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
One of the best insurance policies on a water heater is to change your anodes every couple of years. The water heater rusts when the sacrificial anodes are used up.

herman

Six Pointer
I live in a double wide mobile home since 1981.I had to replace the water heater back in feb 2014 because it started leaking.
That's 33 years of service if I figured right.

mudflap

Ten Pointer
I live in a double wide mobile home since 1981.I had to replace the water heater back in feb 2014 because it started leaking.
That's 33 years of service if I figured right.
$2,376, how many water heaters will that buy?

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
When I changed my hot water heater out 2 summers ago it had been in use for 13 years. I went and paid less than $275 for a 50 gallon heater and installed it. I really don't see where I need insurance on it..Our hot water heater only comes on 4 hours each day, I have a timer on it and we never run out of hot water..

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
I think what 624 is saying, do not buy one from new, but if your unit is 8-10 years, might be worth looking into. Then cancel after the replacement

624c

Six Pointer
I think what 624 is saying, do not buy one from new, but if your unit is 8-10 years, might be worth looking into. Then cancel after the replacement

THANK YOU.....If your unit is getting old and looks like its gonna go soon, this is a good option. IF its new and has years of life in it then NO. I have no intentions of keeping this policy after next month. I have every intention of keeping up with the maintenance of the new unit. Unfortunately I could not go back in time and complete maintenance on the unit from the prior owners of my home to prevent it from failing prematurely as it has.

mudflap

Ten Pointer
THANK YOU.....If your unit is getting old and looks like its gonna go soon, this is a good option. IF its new and has years of life in it then NO. I have no intentions of keeping this policy after next month. I have every intention of keeping up with the maintenance of the new unit. Unfortunately I could not go back in time and complete maintenance on the unit from the prior owners of my home to prevent it from failing prematurely as it has.

Maybe you could start a psychic service like Miss Cleo. Where you could tell if a water heater is going bad, and market that to the people interested in this. Infomercial and all!;) JK