Teachers getting screwed again!!!

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
I know many here think teachers are worthless and get paid too much as it is but this is getting old! Myself and my wife were on board with the plan they came up with last year, it pretty much gives step raises for time of service every 5 years, last year was my wifes 14th year so this was her 7th year with no increase. This is her 15th year and should have equated to her bigger step, well since there is no budget signed she did not get it. At this point I don't know if they will still be on that plan from last year when they pass this budget or if it will be a bigger screwing. Her class size is at 32 kids in 5th grade.

I am guessing other state employees also got the shaft. The GOP has not done much more than the dems ever did when they were in charge and if they keep this up they will let the Dems get back in there next time around.

Ok vent over!

koszman

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I agree teachers are under paid and not respected for what they do. Our leaders in Raleigh hard at work to screw them again.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Yes, I agree with you on this, my Wife is a former teacher retired from the SC school system..The GOP is shooting themselves in the foot again however I didn't expect much help out of them when the voters put them back in charge, so next election we flip flop and nothing still gets done..I can tell anyone this, if they had to live on what my Wife is drawing from her SC state retirement after 30 years of teaching they would have a very poor existence indeed...I can't tell you about the NC teachers retirement and how much they draw..

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
Yes, I agree with you on this, my Wife is a former teacher retired from the SC school system..The GOP is shooting themselves in the foot again however I didn't expect much help out of them when the voters put them back in charge, so next election we flip flop and nothing still gets done..I can tell anyone this, if they had to live on what my Wife is drawing from her SC state retirement after 30 years of teaching they would have a very poor existence indeed...I can't tell you about the NC teachers retirement and how much they draw..

Its not that great, my MIL retired 2 years ago after 32 years teaching, she is Subing this year and pretty much working everyday somewhere in the county!

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Its not that great, my MIL retired 2 years ago after 32 years teaching, she is Subing this year and pretty much working everyday somewhere in the county!

Yep, that's what I figured, not that great in NC either, par for the course...

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Man, your wife has 32 5th graders!!!! I want to knock the head off of the one that sleeps in my house at times. There's nowhere near enough money in the budget to pay a teacher to have 32 kids, much less 10&11 year old kids.

My wife has 19 1st graders right now.

CanAmMan

Twelve Pointer
My wife has a client that is a teacher and she no longer brings up pay around me. One day she was complaining and I told her that I would bet my check against her check that she made more than me, now I have been with my company for almost 32 years and have a degree is Computer Information Systems and she has less time in than me. We were going back and forth about what each made I finally told her about what I made and she shut up real quick. Then I said that you only work 10 months and I have to work 12 for mine she really shut up!!!!!!!!!!!! If you don't like it leave and find something else! I love when new teachers start complaining about pay and kids and parents, I just look at them and think that they knew how kids and parents act and what the pay is and you still decided to become a teacher!!!! WHY!!!!!

NCGunDude

Eight Pointer
I didnt hear anyone here say how much more are willing to pay in taxes to pay teachers more. They should be thankful they have jobs with benefits and a paycheck.

If you feel so strongly about how much money they should be making, try competing in the private sector. Private school teachers make even less, so stop whining.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
My wife has a client that is a teacher and she no longer brings up pay around me. One day she was complaining and I told her that I would bet my check against her check that she made more than me, now I have been with my company for almost 32 years and have a degree is Computer Information Systems and she has less time in than me. We were going back and forth about what each made I finally told her about what I made and she shut up real quick. Then I said that you only work 10 months and I have to work 12 for mine she really shut up!!!!!!!!!!!! If you don't like it leave and find something else! I love when new teachers start complaining about pay and kids and parents, I just look at them and think that they knew how kids and parents act and what the pay is and you still decided to become a teacher!!!! WHY!!!!!

Lets see you have a degree in Computer Info Systems so you can work many places, teachers have education degrees so not many options. I think if you are making less than a newer teacher you should have found somewhere new to work a long time ago. My wife does not complain about the number of kids, she deals with it she also does not want a raise, she simply wants the step for time of service that she has been promised over and over again. As for the 10 month working vs 12 I promise you teachers work a lot more than you or any of the other haters want to think about, she gets to work at 7AM, gets home about 5:30 then works at home till about 10. She had to attend several workshops over the summer that were a week long apiece. Also my wife get paid 10 months out of the year.

chef

Ten Pointer

yup. i will listen to teachers not getting enough when they quit building $70 million high schools, have 15 different "administrative" positions at 4x a teachers salary, travel all over the state to play sports and music and stop insisting that ipads be part of the budget when the country rose to greatness in one room school houses with chalk and chalkboards. when the teachers protest these things in mass then and only then will i be ok with their position.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
I didnt hear anyone here say how much more are willing to pay in taxes to pay teachers more. They should be thankful they have jobs with benefits and a paycheck.

If you feel so strongly about how much money they should be making, try competing in the private sector. Private school teachers make even less, so stop whining.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Private school teachers also choose to teach in them, generally I see them as ones who could not make it in a public school. Again mine is not wanting any kind of new raise just the step she was due after going this long with nothing.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
yup. i will listen to teachers not getting enough when they quit building $70 million high schools, have 15 different "administrative" positions at 4x a teachers salary, travel all over the state to play sports and music and stop insisting that ipads be part of the budget when the country rose to greatness in one room school houses with chalk and chalkboards. when the teachers protest these things in mass then and only then will i be ok with their position.

WTF do teachers have to do with new schools being built? But while we are there, what do you suggest when there is no room in current schools. You do realize that the population in NC has exploded and there simply is not any room in many of the schools. And yes lets not have technology in the class room so when these kids get out they don't know what to do. That makes tons of sense!

Redeye

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Teachers are certainly underpaid for what they have to deal with. The state, without question should improve the pay and benefits for teachers. However, this is the profession that they chose. Granted the State is not doing what it should to address the state of the public school system. Like CanAmMan mentioned, teachers are not being singled out. Most of the middle class is in the same boat across all of professions. Until last year, I have not had a raise in over 6 years and I have a college degree and 32 years with the company and 36 years in the industry.

The really sad thing is that I guarantee that the senior management is getting their bonuses and raises.

sandhills hunter

Ten Pointer

I also agree teachers should be paid more for what they have to put up with. I have two daughters that teach school, one HS math and the other Kindergarten.
But I must ask, your MIL retired at 54/55 years old? If so not many job other than State jobs where you can do that.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Lets see you have a degree in Computer Info Systems so you can work many places, teachers have education degrees so not many options. I think if you are making less than a newer teacher you should have found somewhere new to work a long time ago. My wife does not complain about the number of kids, she deals with it she also does not want a raise, she simply wants the step for time of service that she has been promised over and over again. As for the 10 month working vs 12 I promise you teachers work a lot more than you or any of the other haters want to think about, she gets to work at 7AM, gets home about 5:30 then works at home till about 10. She had to attend several workshops over the summer that were a week long apiece. Also my wife get paid 10 months out of the year.

Yep,teachers put in a lot of time while away from school. Lots of people don't realize that. And some have horrible backstabbing two face principles and assistant principals. Others have great ones that will have the teachers backs. I guess there will always be BS somewhere.

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
NC currently ranks 47th in the country as far as public education is concerned. If you don't like it now wait till they get out of school and ride the coat tails of the working class.

I don't think teachers go into the profession to get rich, least I certainly hope not. I don't think they should have to live on the poverty line either. Look at all the colleges in NC alone, if I had a teaching degree no way in hell I would be looking in NC. Pretty soon there is going to be no good teachers left in this state.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
I also agree teachers should be paid more for what they have to put up with. I have two daughters that teach school, one HS math and the other Kindergarten.
But I must ask, your MIL retired at 54/55 years old? If so not many job other than State jobs where you can do that.

She was 60, my wife will be able to with 30 at 51 since she started teaching at 21. Which is great and I am sure by then she will still have to get another job.

CanAmMan

Twelve Pointer
Teachers are certainly underpaid for what they have to deal with. The state, without question should improve the pay and benefits for teachers. However, this is the profession that they chose. Granted the State is not doing what it should to address the state of the public school system. Like CanAmMan mentioned, teachers are not being singled out. Most of the middle class is in the same boat across all of professions. Until last year, I have not had a raise in over 6 years and I have a college degree and 32 years with the company and 36 years in the industry.

The really sad thing is that I guarantee that the senior management is getting their bonuses and raises.

Totally agree with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
Don't worry. She'll be getting a meaningful raise next year.

House Speaker Tim Moore’s spokeswoman, Mollie Young, said a priority will be “shoring up funds so we can give meaningful raises” next year.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article32446146.html

The part I am trying to figure out is will this schedule still stand. I thought last year that this plan was supposed to be put in place for long term. This is all I am talking about nothing extra.

http://www.ncpublicschools.org/docs/fbs/finance/salary/schedules/2014-15schedules.pdf

CanAmMan

Twelve Pointer

Yes, I could work many places with that degree but I am still working for the company that I was with when I decided to go back and get my degree. I was working for my company for 5 years when I decided to go back and get my degree. I would work during all school breaks and summers and my time kept building up my time. When I graduated I did look for other jobs but kept getting the you have no experience or you are over qualified so I decided to stay with my company. Within a couple of years of graduating everything got away from mainframe computers, which we programmed on in school, and everyone started going to PC's and I wasn't going back to learn that stuff. I did go into their IT dept for about 6 months but didn't really like the bosses at that time so I went back into production and made more money than I did in IT. Now I am in the Eng. Test Lab and have been in here for 20 years. I am the only one with a degree and make the least amount, go figure!!!! I like my job and most of the people that work here so I stay, got to many years in to find another job.

If your wife is working 15 hour days that is just crazy, ain't no way I would do that. Another thing I hear is that teachers have to buy stuff out of their own pocket to have. There ain't no way I would be paying for anything out of my pocket, SCREW THAT.

I am a teacher with 9 years experience. I am not asking for a raise. I am not asking for a bonus. Everyone says you knew what you signed up for, and I knew what teachers were paid when i started. But when I started teaching they changed the rules. When i started a teacher with 9 years experience made 41k a year. Thats 5k more a year than what i am making. So every year since i started teaching i have been having the salary I signed up for, cut. All I ask for is to give me a salary and stick to it, instead freezing it for 6 years, and then changing it. Before last year I made the same (within $100 ) as a new teacher, even though I had 8 years experience.

I have also worked 9 different jobs during the summer and weekends, but try finding a decent job that only wants to employ you 2 months a year. #9 is drivers education and now that income is on the chopping block for budget cuts too.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So she will be able to retire in 15 years at the ripe old age of 21? What do you guys think the rest of us do? Is there a salary job that works less than 50 hours a week any longer?

Redeye

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
One thing I failed to mention regarding teachers; most of the teachers that I know put a lot of time not just to the job but for the kids. Without a doubt, they are special people and do it out of a love for the kids. The certainly have a huge impact on our youth of today.

If teachers are under paid, and they are, what about Law Enforcement, Firefighters and EMS/Rescue personnel, I know that they are under paid while thier service qualities are similar to teachers.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Yes, I could work many places with that degree

If your wife is working 15 hour days that is just crazy, ain't no way I would do that. Another thing I hear is that teachers have to buy stuff out of their own pocket to have. There ain't no way I would be paying for anything out of my pocket, SCREW THAT.

Yep, use some of their own money to buy some supplies. Also would take snacks for field trips so every child could have something. One kid told my wife "My mom said I don't have bring $3. I can eat pizza anyway. ". An example of why I wouldn't teach. The little POS would have gone home hungry. Think of it like this. ..the sorry POS that you went to school with are parents or grandparents and guess what kind of spawn they formed through reproduction.

Songdoghunter

Twelve Pointer

Correct me if I'm wrong but I suspect that several "Teachers" played a major role in you obtaining a CIS Degree, unless you got it online?????? Without them, what kind of degree would you be able to hold?? Just saying!:)