Teachers getting screwed again!!!

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm all for standardized testing, but common core is a bunch of crap. I like the tests because it tells you where the students stand. Doesn't tell you everything, but it lets you see something. I think teachers should be paid based on the tests per student. We have computers that can track performance from year to year. Base it on each individual child. If Johnny scores in the 5 percentile this year and 9 percentile next year, that is improvement. Forget 3s and 4s. I think at least a 2.5 to move to the next grade, but that doesn't mean improvement wasn't made.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Overpaid!!!

;) :D :p LOL, and all the other emojicons to make sure everyone knows I am joking.

I doubt any of my teachers are claiming myself as on of their students today trust me. I had one who worked part time as a swimsuit model. She was and forever will be my favorite!

I had one throw a raging fit in the hallway to the point that 2 other teachers had to grab her. They found out she was blazing the ganja in the parking lot. Wasn't even me that told them. I think it was two other students and the fact that they found weed and a bong in her car...but that's just a hunch.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Hard to believe this. Sorry but I believe the average pay for teachers is in the 40k a year range if after 32 years your not making near double that I'm sorry. Teachers are not paid enough that's the long and short of it i wouldn't mind a bit if taxes went up and the money went to teachers. Beats paying for everyone's food stamps and WIC and EBT.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My Dad was a State employee for 30 years and never made $40,000/year. They lose a lot a lot of sympathy from other state employees because teachers get raises when other state employees don't. Ask my wife how much I bring work home. I love my job, and I love providing a service to the sportsmen of NC, but the pay for my job, with a 4 year degree and 2-3 years of experience is under $30,000 before taxes. There are seasons that I average 60 hour weeks and am only home 3-5 days a month (yes, you read that right). My wife, under the current pay scale, will make more as a first year teacher than I do.

Browning86

Six Pointer
Not trying to stir the pot but how about police, fire, and ems....in most places that's who truly deal with the scum of the earth. Not saying teachers don't deserve more but it is what is. Budget freezes have impacted a lot more than teachers.

bubba2009

Twelve Pointer
I know many here think teachers are worthless and get paid too much as it is but this is getting old! Myself and my wife were on board with the plan they came up with last year, it pretty much gives step raises for time of service every 5 years, last year was my wifes 14th year so this was her 7th year with no increase. This is her 15th year and should have equated to her bigger step, well since there is no budget signed she did not get it. At this point I don't know if they will still be on that plan from last year when they pass this budget or if it will be a bigger screwing. Her class size is at 32 kids in 5th grade.

I am guessing other state employees also got the shaft. The GOP has not done much more than the dems ever did when they were in charge and if they keep this up they will let the Dems get back in there next time around.

Ok vent over!

Not just the teachers. My daughter is a school psychologist working in Moore CO. and hasnt gotten any raise in god knows how many years. it sure sucks for all of them.

spittinfire

Six Pointer
What makes me madder then anything is watching all the waste. There are many deserving state employees...cops, firefighters, EMTs, teachers...the list goes on and on. They aren't the problem. The problem is the people in charge, telling these folks what to do and how to do it when they don't know their backside from a hole in the ground. I don't care what letter is after their name, they aren't doing anything to help the people of this state.

My wife is also a teacher. This year she lost her planning period, picked up more classes, class sizes got bigger(28-32 now) and she gets to teach all these kids with less materials and less time. Some of her classes don't even have enough chairs for the students to sit so they have to work on the floor. She has cleaned off her desk to allow students to sit and work on her desk during classes. How can you expect anyone to succeed when that's what they have to work with? Student or teacher.

CanAmMan

Twelve Pointer
Correct me if I'm wrong but I suspect that several "Teachers" played a major role in you obtaining a CIS Degree, unless you got it online?????? Without them, what kind of degree would you be able to hold?? Just saying!:)

Ok, I guess I will correct you because in all my classes I really can't remember any teachers that as you say played a major role.

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
There are a lot more state employees that don't get a raise either and also don't get the summer months off. Just saying that it should be fair across the board increases if it were to happen. But the odds of a raise for any of us are slim.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
I'm all for standardized testing, but common core is a bunch of crap. I like the tests because it tells you where the students stand. Doesn't tell you everything, but it lets you see something. I think teachers should be paid based on the tests per student. We have computers that can track performance from year to year. Base it on each individual child. If Johnny scores in the 5 percentile this year and 9 percentile next year, that is improvement. Forget 3s and 4s. I think at least a 2.5 to move to the next grade, but that doesn't mean improvement wasn't made.

In a perfect world that would be great, but this year my wife has 9 kids who are EC and they spend 35% of their time in another class, so how do you judge them? Also you are basing their success on what the teachers prior did, if they were way behind it hinders them in the current class. I wish there was a way to really grade performance, my wife is always in the top of her grade level in EOG grades.

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There are a lot more state employees that don't get a raise either and also don't get the summer months off. Just saying that it should be fair across the board increases if it were to happen. But the odds of a raise for any of us are slim.

There is also state employees who aren't responsible for several hundred children each day either and don't require a masters degree to preform their job.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
There is also state employees who aren't responsible for several hundred children each day either and don't require a masters degree to preform their job.

No, they have other responsibilities like managing/fighting forest fires in 100+ degree heat…and last I checked the only teaching position that requires a Master's is special ed in a self-contained classroom. All others only require a bachelors degree. Teachers would a master's solely because it increased their pay.

Last edited:

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
To clarify, it's not a paid vacation exactly. More like salary that is spread out over 12 months.

Kind of like all other state employees, except other state employees have to show up to work those 2 months. Really, if you do the math those 2 months roughly make up for all the extra hours teachers put in during the school year…

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No, they have other responsibilities like managing/fighting forest fires in 100+ degree heat…and last I checked the only teaching position that requires a Master's is special ed in a self-contained classroom. All others only require a bachelors degree. Teachers would a master's solely because it increased their pay.

Doesn't the Sate also pay for continuing education in the areas you mentioned?

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Doesn't the Sate also pay for continuing education in the areas you mentioned?

They might in NC but they did not in SC, my Wife paid for the classes she had to take in summer to keep her teaching certificate up to date..They had to go back to class and get the hours they needed if I remember correctly every 6 years..

Last edited:

chef

Ten Pointer
WTF do teachers have to do with new schools being built? But while we are there, what do you suggest when there is no room in current schools. You do realize that the population in NC has exploded and there simply is not any room in many of the schools. And yes lets not have technology in the class room so when these kids get out they don't know what to do. That makes tons of sense!

my point is this:
teachers are probably responsible for somewhere around 85% of the success or failure in the delivery and retention of the knowledge and skills that are supposed to be learned. (of course the students and families are 100% responsible for the actual learning, retention and application) so why don't THEY demand their earned share of the budget? why does the majority of the state education budget go to buildings, ipads, sports, band and administration? the teachers could get a helluva raise if they simply readjusted the priorities of the budget to get what is deservedly theirs. instead they act like all other gov't employees and pout and cry that they don't have a big enough budget.

the problem is as a society we are less concerned with actual education and using public schools to fund welfare extension (free and reduced lunch), "diversity" (busing, class "balancing" by bringing everyone to the middle), athletics (when was the last time parents protested the end of a math program instead of the football team) and of course building grandiose cathedrals instead of simple buildings to teach. public school is so not about education as it is about a entire bloated government bureaucracy where everyone is trying to get a bigger share of taxpayers money.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
Kind of like all other state employees, except other state employees have to show up to work those 2 months. Really, if you do the math those 2 months roughly make up for all the extra hours teachers put in during the school year…

So in other words its a moot point!

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
Does this ultimately put them on a higher pay scale in some cases?

No this is just what is required to keep their certification. Only way for it to affect pay is for it to be a masters which the state does not pay for!

JoeyK

Twelve Pointer
I wonder how many of you saying teachers make too much have no children.....or just don't give a :donk:donk:donk:donk about your kids education.......oh wait that whole no child Left behind thing kinda makes there jobs easier......except for the exploding population of kids, alot of which can't speak very good English......my wife is a college professor and she is responsible for teaching teachers......and when classes are steadily growing and the pay.....is dropping due to healthcare increases and other incidentals, and with the teachers getting hamstrung by other issues.....why should they NOT make a little more.....and for your info.....my kids go to an arts school and I CHERISH my kids education.....so if I need to pay a little more in taxes I WILL GLADLY DO IT.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
I wonder how many of you saying teachers make too much have no children.....or just don't give a :donk:donk:donk:donk about your kids education.......oh wait that whole no child Left behind thing kinda makes there jobs easier......except for the exploding population of kids, alot of which can't speak very good English......my wife is a college professor and she is responsible for teaching teachers......and when classes are steadily growing and the pay.....is dropping due to healthcare increases and other incidentals, and with the teachers getting hamstrung by other issues.....why should they NOT make a little more.....and for your info.....my kids go to an arts school and I CHERISH my kids education.....so if I need to pay a little more in taxes I WILL GLADLY DO IT.

I have 2 kids and value their education a great deal. My wife is currently a TA and is in the process of getting a job teaching middle school. I don't think they're paid to much. They do, however, come across as constant whiners about their pay. This isn't entirely their fault. The Democrat party figured out that if they politicize teachers it can score them votes. DOT worker just isn't as romantic as an instructor of young minds. That said, I listened to my wife complain about her peers for several years while she was getting her teaching degree. Some of those "teachers" are very much overpaid… Also, instead of raising taxes I'd rather see school districts manage the money they have more efficiently, as has been noted above. I listen to my wife complain about the waste in the education system on a daily basis. Obviously, simply throwing money at the problem doesn't work…

Last edited:

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
To clarify, it's not a paid vacation exactly. More like salary that is spread out over 12 months.

I was just stirring the pot. There are several teachers on here that I respect greatly and several more in my immediate family. I just like teasing them about the summer break.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
I'd be much more willing to accept a bigger pay increase for teachers if we abolished tenure. Heres a classic example of why tenure is bad IMO. This guy said he just like eating breakfast.

http://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.ssf/2015/08/tardy_more_than_100_times_nj_teacher_can_keep_job.html

An arbitrator used scathing language to describe the conduct of a public school teacher who has been late to work several dozen times in the last two years but also rejected the district's attempt to fire him, according to a ruling in a tenure hearing reached earlier this month.

Arnold Anderson, a teacher at Roosevelt School, was late 46 times in the most recent school year through March 20, and another 65 times in the previous school year, according to the text of the arbitrator's decision, which was filed Aug. 19.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
I'd be much more willing to accept a bigger pay increase for teachers if we abolished tenure. Heres a classic example of why tenure is bad IMO. This guy said he just like eating breakfast.

http://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.ssf/2015/08/tardy_more_than_100_times_nj_teacher_can_keep_job.html

An arbitrator used scathing language to describe the conduct of a public school teacher who has been late to work several dozen times in the last two years but also rejected the district's attempt to fire him, according to a ruling in a tenure hearing reached earlier this month.

Arnold Anderson, a teacher at Roosevelt School, was late 46 times in the most recent school year through March 20, and another 65 times in the previous school year, according to the text of the arbitrator's decision, which was filed Aug. 19.

I feel Tenure is there to protect teachers from Principles who take things on a personal level, teachers can still be fired but there is a process, write up, school board, etc. I have seen some bad principles that needed to be fired and saw them make some teachers who did now kiss their rear life very hard.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In a perfect world that would be great, but this year my wife has 9 kids who are EC and they spend 35% of their time in another class, so how do you judge them? Also you are basing their success on what the teachers prior did, if they were way behind it hinders them in the current class. I wish there was a way to really grade performance, my wife is always in the top of her grade level in EOG grades.

You can grade their performance. Look at the students percentiles from year to year. They may be behind from the year before, but that doesn't mean improvement can't be made.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
You can grade their performance. Look at the students percentiles from year to year. They may be behind from the year before, but that doesn't mean improvement can't be made.

You don't think that number may go down, if they did not get it last year and now they are being taught this years. Also still did not address the 30% of time the 9 EC kids are not in the class room, who still take the same EOG but are not being taught the same thing the class is teaching. What I am saying is the entire system is too screwed up for any type of performance based system to work the way it should. I would be all for it if it was!

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
I feel Tenure is there to protect teachers from Principles who take things on a personal level, teachers can still be fired but there is a process, write up, school board, etc. I have seen some bad principles that needed to be fired and saw them make some teachers who did now kiss their rear life very hard.

Bad bosses that take things personally are a problem everywhere in every profession. Why should teachers get special treatment with tenure?