1985 Toyota Pickup build

OnslowDeerMan

Well I've gone to the dark side lol traded off my last jeep build for this solid axle yota, bed was roached so I picked up an 87 2wd truck bed at a local junkyard and am replacing that. Not 100% sure on what direction I'm gonna go with this build but we'll see, thinking more of an expedition/camping rig this time instead of a dedicated rock crawler. It's currently got a fully rebuilt 22re, 4.88 gears, locker in the rear, swapped out bench seat for some buckets from an 88' 4Runner. I'll try and keep this thread as updated as possible
91e6ec97fb21f11c4fe79d9810a3e45a.jpg
752583bac3267bdd33ff8f75564ec4af.jpg
f403aac9d633f41a4a38722ba480cade.jpg
abe59d3c4f0e951649ace165d4185f0d.jpg
1b81dcf992db8627908636e1dc578a2e.jpg
0fc4a885e5489654d33c5bea6d9dd9c1.jpg
41b1587b1c9ccf0343a68ad91104142e.jpg

buckrunner

That truck will serve you very well. I know because I used to own it lolimage.jpg

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
Heck yeah man, I'd rather have a Yota than a Jeep any day. Good looking truck. 22re's aren't power houses but they're virtually bulletproof if you maintain them like you should. My 91 pickup that i gave my bother has over 350k miles on it now. My other brother has a 94 with 385k miles on it. Check out yotatech.com for build ideas and info.

Here's a pic of my 255k 87 22RE 4Runner, it's not usually that clean. This was taken a couple years ago right after I polished it.

polishedt4r2_zps0f652597.jpg

polishedt4r_zpse01ce208.jpg

Last edited:

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
If if is going to be a crawler/camping/hunting/fishing rig you would be a lot better off with a custom flatbed than any box bed.

<>< Fish

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If if is going to be a crawler/camping/hunting/fishing rig you would be a lot better off with a custom flatbed than any box bed.

<>< Fish
I have a friend that has and older model yoyo with an aluminum flat bed on it. It is amazing just how much crap he can get on it. It is so much easier as far as accessibility. Make a rack for it and a and haul canoes or yaks and still fill the bed up.

the sarge

Six Pointer
I can tell you with a little firewall work and some redneck engineering a small block Chevy and turbo 350 trans will fit! This came from 3 teenagers who had a truck with a blown motor and a tricked out project motor they had been working on. Add a tci shift kit, high stall converter, fuelie heads, cam, Roller rockers, etc. then paint it corvette yellow and you ahem the nuclear banana as we called it.

Took us 2 weekends to do. Wish I had some pics of it still. Thing was crazy.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
3.4 TRD better power to weight ratio and more importantly Toyota Pure. Or if you have the change 1UZF Lexus V8 Will fit as well and still keep it Toyota. Off Road Solutions can help with the 3.4 install.

OnslowDeerMan

Heck yeah man, I'd rather have a Yota than a Jeep any day. Good looking truck. 22re's aren't power houses but they're virtually bulletproof if you maintain them like you should. My 91 pickup that i gave my bother has over 350k miles on it now. My other brother has a 94 with 385k miles on it. Check out yotatech.com for build ideas and info.

Here's a pic of my 255k 87 22RE 4Runner, it's not usually that clean. This was taken a couple years ago right after I polished it.

polishedt4r2_zps0f652597.jpg

polishedt4r_zpse01ce208.jpg

I love the old 4runners!! Awesome rig man

OnslowDeerMan

Holy crap!! That is the same truck lol 100%, small world

OnslowDeerMan

I picked it up from a guy in Laurinburg, 22re has been totally redone
584275fe487181604453aa730f13ac61.jpg

87f5a5e396c5d6d67c49d3c78c819783.jpg

buckrunner

lol. Does the 2nd gear act a little funny? That's the only vehicle I ever regret getting rid of. I traded it to a guy down that way with a white a white chevy. I can't remember his name. There's no telling how many deer I've had in the back of that thing. There wasn't anywhere I couldn't take that truck. Ive been in mud so deep it was came inside of the door windows. I put about 350 miles on it every Saturday of hunting season with about a 5 hour round trip. Im glad you have it. If you ever want to sell it let me know.

OnslowDeerMan

lol. Does the 2nd gear act a little funny? That's the only vehicle I ever regret getting rid of. I traded it to a guy down that way with a white a white chevy. I can't remember his name. There's no telling how many deer I've had in the back of that thing. There wasn't anywhere I couldn't take that truck. Ive been in mud so deep it was came inside of the door windows. I put about 350 miles on it every Saturday of hunting season with about a 5 hour round trip. Im glad you have it. If you ever want to sell it let me know.

Haha yup the synchro for second gear went bad, I just swapped in a JY tranny and am gonna rebuild the old transmission. I got it from a guy named Chris Woessner, Scott Dean at Road and Trail in Laurinburg rebuilt the 22re and "bulletproofed" it. Rebuilt axles, the truck is like new. I'm gonna swap the beds, throw a coat of paint on it and it'll be good. I'm gonna build some bumpers for it as well and probably put s camper shell with some racks for the ultimate OBX rig. If you want to PM me your info I'll save it and if I ever get in a bind and need some cash you'll be the first person I'll offer it up to. I hope to never have to sell it though, I've been looking for a rust free solid axle yota for a longgg time, their a dying breed lol

Last edited:

OnslowDeerMan

Do you remember if the cruise control ever worked while you owned it? It has cruise control but doesn't work, thinking about trying to get it working since I'll put quite a few highway miles on it.

buckrunner

Sorry I'm just seeing this. I never did use cruise control on it though.

igotatoyota

ive got a camper shell that came off of my 86 toyo that i'll sell ya, it's in good shape just needs a good cleaning. I can send you pics if your interested.

OnslowDeerMan

Sorry I'm just seeing this. I never did use cruise control on it though.

Thanks man lol just wondering, I'll probably still tinker with it and try and get it working. Bed should be on within the week, been slacking on progress pics

Chad

Four Pointer
I used to have a 79 Toyota and I loved it but I will always be a jeep man. I love wheeling with the yota guys though. They are are always down to try just about anything

OnslowDeerMan

I used to be a hardcore jeep guy, but I honestly got tired of working on em lol all my friends that have yota's seem to be bulletproof, their never working on the drivetrain or anything, just custom stuff, this thing runs like a sewing machine lol all my 4.0's had little issues here and there and it seemed like I was always working on em

60cb1fb498f51abd685a017213f3d8ea.jpg

0078e07b1be4bf8511d63d8eacc6baae.jpg

834b13d47af2511413000da0bf467504.jpg

OnslowDeerMan

Went to Uwharrie this past weekend, even with all the rain (poured all weekend) my little truck did great.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445048218.977170.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445048236.174359.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445048285.024739.jpg