non-standard cuts,,,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Hadn't shot a deer since 2013 season so I have been out of deer meat,,,,,,so when an 8 point came by Saturday morning (just passing through minding his business) I decided he was a good one for some fresh meat,,,,,,,,

so first up is one that some here like,,,some are (might) try,,,,and what I consider the best piece of eats on a deer,,,,the heart,,,,,,,,

trimmed and cut into pieces (didn't have whole heart as the .280 soft point blew most of it to shreds),,,,,

seasoned with salt and pepper,,,sautéed in butter,,,,,,,,

DSCN1086.JPG

no bagels so pan grilled some small wheat bread my oldest daughter made for our pig pickin' Sunday,,,,,

DSCN1087.JPG

and served up,,,,,,,,

DSCN1089.JPG

next up is one I have wanted to try for a while,,,,,,deer tongue,,,,,,

I like beef tongue (though haven't had it in years) and wanted to check out this piece of the deer,,,,,,,,,

washed and cleaned,,,,,butter knife is for size reference,,,,

DSCN1084.JPG

then simmered in water with some carrots, salt, and pepper,,,,simmered for 45 minutes,,,,,,,

DSCN1085.JPG

take out,,,,(cooked tongue is ugly isn't it?)

DSCN1090.JPG

skin it (scrape with a blade and the skin slides off),,,slice it up and served with some deli mustard,,,, and chow,,,,,

DSCN1091.JPG

it was good eating,,,,made me want more of it,,,,but heart is still my favorite,,,,,,,

mbh78

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I'd try the heart. I've always heard that it's good. I've eaten beef tongue, but never deer. I think if I were to try it, it would have to be finished off in the skillet after boiling.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Tried heart for the first time this year....I was impressed. I hope they aren't all destroyed from now on.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
Not to hijack but I am partial to the liver. You need to let it drain over night but makes the best liver and onions I have had.

bubba2009

Twelve Pointer
heart liver and tongue all good eating john. my german grandma used to make tongue all the time i miss it, when i go to ny i stop at a nice jewish deli for a nice tongue sandwich

buzzcut29

Man... I love eating deer heart and like beef liver. I will have to try deer liver soon, but man that tongue just looks wrong! lol

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Again sorry to hijack but do you have any pointers on processing the liver for freezing long term?

depends on what you mean by long term,,,I wouldn't store frozen for more than a few months,,,,,just as with any meat,,,,course I have had some that was good years later but generally I try to rotate through,,,,,

with liver, heart, (and now tongue) they are "first meals" cuts to me,,,,so I don't freeze them. However it should freeze like beef liver. Big thing is to make sure to cut out the piece connected to the gall bladder,,,and inspect to ensure that it appears healthy and has a dark red color with no spots or discoloring - two deer that we processed weekend before last and the one had a nasty looking spotted liver - that went in the trash,,,the liver from my deer I donated to a pastor who wanted one,,,,

then rinse, pat dry and wrap for freezing by your preferred method,,,I wrap in saran type wrap then butcher/freezer paper, some use vacuum sealers, etc.

does that work?

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
depends on what you mean by long term,,,I wouldn't store frozen for more than a few months,,,,,just as with any meat,,,,course I have had some that was good years later but generally I try to rotate through,,,,,

with liver, heart, (and now tongue) they are "first meals" cuts to me,,,,so I don't freeze them. However it should freeze like beef liver. Big thing is to make sure to cut out the piece connected to the gall bladder,,,and inspect to ensure that it appears healthy and has a dark red color with no spots or discoloring - two deer that we processed weekend before last and the one had a nasty looking spotted liver - that went in the trash,,,the liver from my deer I donated to a pastor who wanted one,,,,

then rinse, pat dry and wrap for freezing by your preferred method,,,I wrap in saran type wrap then butcher/freezer paper, some use vacuum sealers, etc.

does that work?

Thanks for the response. After trying your pickled shad recipe I trust what you say in regards to processing/cooking.

Last edited:

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
Man... I love eating deer heart and like beef liver. I will have to try deer liver soon, but man that tongue just looks wrong! lol

As much as I love beef liver it does not hold a candle to deer liver. I don't know if it is the freshness or what but the deer liver is a lot milder while keeping a good flavor.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Tongue makes some really good tacos. After boiling and skinning it just mince it up fairly small and cook with some taco seasoning or just a sprinkle of hot chili powder. Liver is hard to beat also.