Brass

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
When reloading how many of you weigh your brass?
I know its really necessary for hunting loads but I do it and separate them.

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
I don't weigh my brass all of the time but I do for my hunting any long range rifle rounds. If I am going to weigh my brass I weigh the projectiles as well.

Guybo

Eight Pointer
I don't weigh my brass for hunting loads but if i were to do any competiton shooting i would.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Do you weed out the light or the heavy cases, or both?
I separate them by weight, the ones that are closest to the same I bunch together and load in a batch at the time.
In other words if I have 10 that weigh 130grs and 10 that weigh 134grs I load the 130's and use them first, when I'm thru with those I'll use the others.
I doubt there would be much difference in the two but its just a habitat I have when I reload.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
Brass now days are much better and more consistent than it was 30-40 years ago and even if you didn't weigh and sort them they would be fine for your deer hunting loads.

When I get new batch of brass (I get minimum of 500 rounds from same lot, at a time), if they are for my deer loads, I don't weigh weigh then. However, I weigh and sort them every time if they are for my competition, varmint, or sniper rifles.

DaveinWV

I weighed some brass last week. I had some Federal 7.62x51 bass and some Federal plain commercial brass. They weighed about the same. I did it to know if the 7.62x51 was mil-spec brass or not.

toothless

I've never heard of weighing brass. In doing that what does it do for you

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
for hunting purposes? Under 300 yds? No way. I do separate by headstamp due to volumetric differences, and I have weighed them to get an average idea of what brands are made 'thick' or 'thin'. But
unless I was planning on shooting 500+ yards off a bench, nah. Waste of time. I have other OCD tendencies for reloading that occupy my time. Like trimming, weighing projectiles, and measuring each charge of powder.