crops ruined?

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
I wonder how much the farmers are now affected by all this rain. Its going to take at least 10-15 days to dry up enough to even get a tractor in the field... How much is ruined due to moisture and mold??

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah I wouldn't doubt quite a bit of the crops might be ruined, not enough rain at times and then tons too much of it.. I just would not farm for a living nowdays..

WakeHunter32

Eight Pointer
Really concerned with the cotton fields down east... Most of the crops were ready to be picked and this much rain will/could knock most of that cotton off the plant. Pumpkins will be soaked and get moldy quick. Going to be a rough time for our farmers. Hope it doesn't mess them up.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would be spending these rainy days putting on flotation tires. For tobacco, may even want to hook trailers to a tracked tractor. I don't see a tobacco harvester being any good for the next few weeks.

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Cotton is the biggest concern, especially if we start getting tropical force winds. Most of the corn and tobacco is picked and beans can stand 'till it dries. Ground fruits are doomed.

Avery Creek

Twelve Pointer
Summer drought crushed the corn harvest here, most corn fields around me were bush hogged several weeks ago. Beans may be okay after this rain. The rains over the next few days will put some moisture in the ground for wheat planting. I saw a few cotton fields being picked earlier this week, I guess they were gonna get what they could get before it was lost to rain/wind.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Tobacco is going to start getting Black Tip. Buyers are still have plenty tobacco left from last year. Buyers are not even wanted this years tobacco as it is (thus the low prices) and they sure don't want it with black tip or any other damage.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Our 25 acres of soybeans is on a slight slope leading down to a creek, an acre or 2 could get hurt, but thats all.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
On cotton there will be some blowout. Some weight loss due to rain washing out the natural oils so it can take more cotton to make a bale. Grades can be negatively affected meaning a reduced price of cotton that already is 12-15 cents per pound less than it needs to be to make $. The seed in the lent could sprout meaning less seed to sell and possibly negatively affecting the grade. Also, fields will get "rutted" by equipment tires and will have filled in. Stuck equipment. Just going to make it a pia.

Last edited:

Combine_corn

Some soybeans are sprouting in the pod, Milo is sprouting on the head. Pumpkins will fare ok on sloped fields. Corn is ok, but this wind may be the coupe de grace

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Just got back from looking at some fields. More cotton on the ground than I thought I'd see. And it ain't over yet. Had the potential to make 700-800 pounds cotton, when my neighbors who planted about 3 weeks before me, are getting 350-450 pounds to the acre. Oh well. It sucks. But this comes with farming.

Guybo

Eight Pointer
Still tobacco in the fields around here as well as corn. Beans and cotton may be ok just depends on how much more rain we get and how long it takes to dry out.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I think it will be more than several days after the rain stops before equipment gets into AND out of a field.

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
Peanuts will be hurt big time. Most should have been turned last week or this week. Realistically tractors may hit the field til this weekend or early next week.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
The farmers out here are not able to finish picking the tobbaco. Hopefully all this rain dont hurt to bad

I'll admit I have to be the most IGNORANT person on this board about any kind of farming.....But I can't recall any time I've seen a tractor in a tobacco field this time of year. It's always been people. So I guess I wonder why this weather would affect tobacco if people can still work it?

hrcarver

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You need a tractor to pull the trailers(slides) that the people are filling. Usually the slide rows are packed and firm by this time of year but one low spot is all it takes to ruin your morning. We will find out here in a hour or so...

EMB

Ten Pointer
Won't hurt any of them, US government will bail them out with more subsidies. There are more subsidies anymore for farmers than anyone who has ever worked and retired.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Not true. Insurance. But you don't make money on insurance. Research it. Don't know your source of information but you need to find a reliable one. Or did this crap just pop up between your ears?

Last edited:

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Won't hurt any of them, US government will bail them out with more subsidies. There are more subsidies anymore for farmers than anyone who has ever worked and retired.
subsidies have nothing to do with crop loss

Reports from Hyde is that there will be a significant loss on beans and cotton in fields that flood as the water has backed up and has no where to go. I was down there 2 saturdays ago and the water was already as high as I have seen it short of a hurricane before.

EMB

Ten Pointer
�� It's always full.

Truth hurts to those who don't want to admit it. I've spoken with a few farmers who will tell me they'll leave a crop standing versus taking it down and losing money at the market if it's a poor crop year, reason is they get bailed out by the government. Many tobacco farmers were handed subsidies to farm anything but tobacco. Many are compensated for lost crops, whether by insurance or the government, they will make their money. Farming has quite a bit of hands out for government money, it's fact do your research.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I farm cotton and soybeans. So I already know. If a crop is bad enough and the insurance adjusters appraise the crop and you factor in harvest cost it may be best not to harvest and take the INSURANCE money. NO subsidies included. Again your mouth is full and you are going on hear say and don't know what you are talking about!!!

hrcarver

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'd like to know more about these lucrative subsidy programs! Apparently I've been doing it wrong. In the last 20+years I've received one check for 160k from insurance, which I paid for the other 20 years with zero payout. While 160k sounds like good money to most people that rely on others for their income, I assure you it is a drop in the bucket of what it takes to run a business. I think some of that free money would come in handy!