So who has had the dreaded kidney stones????

Hank

Old Mossy Horns
My back has been in bad pain since about 3:30 this morning, I was freezing one minute and 5 minutes later I was burning up, just could not sleep. I have to take a leak about every 30 minutes, and I can hardly even go. So late this afternoon I went to the doctor, doc said I had the classic signs of kidney stones, minus blood in the urine. So the doctor sent me to have a CT Scan done. I'm hoping that everything comes back okay, really not looking forward to going through the kidney stone pains. Praying it's not stones.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My 8 year old passes a few every week. He's on Flomax now for them. Drink minute maid lemonade, it's rumored to help soften them.

wl704

Ten Pointer
Been there. Two thoughts: 1)if it's stones, at least you have a diagnosis. If it's not stones you may have a busy week of Dr visits. 2) at least for me, the meds were pretty well dialed in. A few days as a stoned zombie was a small price to pay for a bit of comfort.

Hank

Old Mossy Horns
I just can not get comfortable. I took a Vicodin @ 8:00 and I can now sit with 1/4 of the amount of pain, I also had some nausea feelings. This is horrible.....

wl704

Ten Pointer
The doc also prescribed my some anti-nausea drug...if nausea is a problem call the Dr, especially if you have a 24hr pharmacy nearby.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Nothing like back pains to gnaw at your inner soul. When you back is out, the rest of you is out.

cummins59

Eight Pointer
They cause the worst pain I have ever felt. I had very similar symptoms as what you described and it ended up being a stone that was lodged in my ureter which caused unbearable pain and very little urine being able to pass. They ended up having to go in and get it out.

DADOGG14

Eight Pointer
Had them, don't ever want them again. Can't get comfortable at all in any position. Hope you pass it soon.

old school

Six Pointer
I did some heavy lifting and straining about three weeks ago and was left with severe pain in the area of my front plumbing. Did not know at the time that I had kicked a kidney stone into gear and it began its travel path. Went to Dr. on a Friday and he put me on Cipro and something that turned my urine the color of Tang. He was treating me for prostrate inflammation. Well on the following Tuesday I saw another Dr. who put me on Bactrum and doubled my dosage of the orange pee pill. All the time they were thinking prostrate. Finally I got an appointment with my urologist for the following week. All this time I felt like I had a fire breathing dragon in my britches. Urge to take a leak and nothing would come. Burning pain from one end of my junk to the other. No pain pills at all. Finally while standing over the toilet and dribbling the best I could, this rush of pee came out and something didn't feel quite right. Got the flashlight to look through the orange pee and there it was. Half the size of a large sandspur and rough and gnarly. This wicked little piece of hell had brought me down for two and a half weeks before it came to the light. I'll know the next time I feel like that at least what's going on. Until you've felt it you really have no idea of something that size will get all your attention. Good luck with getting that damn thing out of your body....anyway you can!!!

BuzzCut

Ten Pointer
A veteran of 9 stones...according to last CT scan, I do not have any on deck in either kidney...for now.

I sympathize with you, know exactly what you are going thru. Prayers for you. I know there are guys on here who have passed more than I have.

Southside

Ten Pointer
If that's what it is I hope it goes through quickly for you. That is a terrible pain to experience. A lady told me she had had 3 kids and a kidney stone. Said she'd have rather go through child birth again than have a stone. One word of advice ....MORPHINE! Ask for it by name.

Hank

Old Mossy Horns
Well, I got some good news.....I think. My doctor called me around 9:00 this evening and told me that I did not have any stones, so that is great. The down side is that she thinks I might have a disc trying to pop out, or bulge, not sure what the correct term is. She told me to heat it up and then ice it down, and to get my wife to massage my back, I like that part of it. She said if it does not get any better tomorrow to come in and get a steroid shot. Also asked me to take it easy, that is extremely hard when you are self employed and work in the auto repair business. I have worked on cars for 20 years, and I am surprised I have not had any back problems to date. I'm used to the aches and pains, but I always have to do the heavy lifting and heavy load work.

That still does not explain the piss problems, but I am happy that it is not a stone.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, it does explain urination. If you have a disc pushing on a nerve it messes up everything down there. I would have to pee every 20 mins but couldn't piss a thimble full at a time.

Hank

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah, it does explain urination. If you have a disc pushing on a nerve it messes up everything down there. I would have to pee every 20 mins but couldn't piss a thimble full at a time.

Had not even thought about that. That sounds like me, but I can piss about 4 ounces out at a time, but it seems to be every 30 minutes or so. Sweating like a son of a gun now, but that might be the pain pills.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Had not even thought about that. That sounds like me, but I can piss about 4 ounces out at a time, but it seems to be every 30 minutes or so. Sweating like a son of a gun now, but that might be the pain pills.
Yep, the sweating probably is the pills. I can't take 'em.

Good luck, that back business is serious stuff. I hope it isn't a ruptured disc. If it is a bulge they have come a long way on that. They can just go in and shave around the area and relieve it around the nerve and you will be a new man with minimal invasion. But with your line of work you would sure have to change the way you do things. Best of wishes.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Have had close to 20 of them suckers. Noticed (after a couple of years) that 1 would start acting up(moving) right when I started Fall/winter basketball leagues. Read in the book HEALING WITH VITAMINS that beer will get them moving. yeah I know its not a vitamin but it is in there. so, when one would start bothering me I will do 2 things. 1 drink more which doesnt take much as i only drink when i have one and 2 is to run.. that pounding or jarring gets them moving and it help pass them quicker. never been to the hospital for 1 but i did have 1 removed surgically 2 years ago that was over 7mm. I hate them things.

I have had 2 ruptured discs as well in my neck. Broke my neck in 3 places in 1996 and the swelling caused the disc to rupture. take the stones over the bad disc but either way I hope you get better.

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Well, I got some good news.....I think. My doctor called me around 9:00 this evening and told me that I did not have any stones, so that is great. The down side is that she thinks I might have a disc trying to pop out, or bulge, not sure what the correct term is. She told me to heat it up and then ice it down, and to get my wife to massage my back, I like that part of it. She said if it does not get any better tomorrow to come in and get a steroid shot. Also asked me to take it easy, that is extremely hard when you are self employed and work in the auto repair business. I have worked on cars for 20 years, and I am surprised I have not had any back problems to date. I'm used to the aches and pains, but I always have to do the heavy lifting and heavy load work.

That still does not explain the piss problems, but I am happy that it is not a stone.

not all stones show up in scans. depends where they are.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
My dad has passed 46 or 52. Too many to keep up with. They had to break up some little "eggs" in his bladder and he had a liptrispy (spelling probably wrong) on one kidney. Riding on a tractor has helped him pass a few.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
not all stones show up in scans. depends where they are.

^^this is what I'm thinking...I never sweated with my back issue like I did with a kidney stone...with a stone, I couldn't stop sweating. The nausea is coming from the pain pills. They usually give you something for the nausea from the pain pills. Hope you get to feeling better.

Just wanted to add this...I went to the ER and they gave me hydrocodone and sent me home. I remember laying in the floor looking up at my dad telling him ...I think we going have to go back to the ER. I was still hurting bad...so I read the papers they gave me and it said if it still hurting then most likely its moving. Lucky for me I past it that night and never knew it.

Last edited:

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Eating a little, even a few crackers, before taking the meds may help with the nausea. I know a lady who has children and had kidney stones. She said she would rather go through child birth again than to have kidney stones. My dad said one way he can tell that he is having a kidney stone attack is because his testicles hurt. I asked a friend about that after he had gone to the ER because of a kidney stone, and he said "bo, I wanted to ask them for a scaple so I could castrate myself ".

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My buddy had a stone in the last couple of months. Went to the ER, they did a CAT scan. He found out that he has a growth inside of his kidney. They are planning to remove his kidney December 1. They don't think it's cancerous, but they can't 100% tell him now. they did tell him, that if it is cancerous, that the kidney stone saved his life.

hitman6397

Old Mossy Horns
I have had them 3 times and they are no joke. There is no comfortable position you can get in to make the hurting stop.

boomer

Twelve Pointer
I have had kidney stones many , many times, I think I have had 16 or 17 different episodes and each time the pain is the same, the worse pain ever, no way to get relief until they are gone. I have gone the last 4 years without a stone episode after 16 straight years of episodes. Doctor told me to drink more water, less Mtn Dew ( any soft drink), tea and yes beer. Caffeine and alcohol will dehydrate the kidneys causing the stones to start forming. So I drink a bottle of water each morning and every night and depending on what I am doing during the day , even more water. Do I still drink Mtn Dew and beer , yes but when I am thirsty i drink water first then I drink the other beverages. Good luck with the stones, may their passage be an easy one.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
I do not want to jinx myself, but I have not. However, I have seen some of my biggest badest friends be in pure agony with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk