Tree ID?

kyle7630

Twelve Pointer
Can any of y'all ID this tree? The acorns are about half the size of the normal white oak that I'm used to and the leaves have a different shape and texture. The leaves are thick and waxy looking. The texture and thickness of the leaves are more like that of a holly bush or a live oak. The leaf shape is different as well. Any thoughts?

IMG_20151006_162926168.jpg
IMG_20151006_163002239.jpg

deerslyr30-06

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like a post oak. Need to see a leaf layed out to see the full shape better. Bark is hard to see.

Last edited:

kyle7630

Twelve Pointer
The bark is hard to see in the second pic, but it is shaggy. Also, it's growing near a wet weather creek bed.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
I don't see the real defined "cross" shaped leaf of a post oak in the pictures. That, combined with the shaggy bark, leads me to an old fashioned southern white oak.

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/metadata.htm?/19422/metadata/sp
The tree definitely isn't typical of a post oak, but I think I saw some of the leaves squared off at the top, and the leaf turned upside down in the left side of the picture looks to have hairs on the underside of the leaf along the midrib. The leaves look thick, which helps post oak be more drought tolerant. But I'm on my phone, and pictures are tough to see, so who knows

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Need better pics of tree trunk and leaves. I just don't see post oak. Maybe it is just the pics. Leaves look to waxy, base of leaf I can see looks similar to a southern red oak and the waxy leaves make me think black oak. Is there any burr on the tips of the leaves? These pics look like some kind of red/black oak, maybe a hybrid. Pics of the trunk of the tree would help greatly.

Never seen a southern white oak?;)

Dan Apple

Old Mossy Horns
Black Oak.... we call em blackjack oaks sometimes..... I know of a flat that stays swampy all fall and winter that used to be loaded with em.... til they got loaded onto a tk one summer.. :(

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Oaks can also hybridize within their group (white or red). Your bark looks like white oak and the leaves sort of like a cross of something with a post. Possible it's a hybrid post/white, or something like that.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I just realized there were two pics.:eek:

The bottom pic is definitely something in the white oak family. If the leaves in the top pick are of the same tree I would say the tree is some sort of hybrid white oak.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Oaks can also hybridize within their group (white or red). Your bark looks like white oak and the leaves sort of like a cross of something with a post. Possible that it's a hybrid post/white, or something like that.

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Still looks like post oak. The cross shape isn't as clearly defined as some post oaks, but it's definitely there.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
In the second set of pics the leaves look like a cross between an overcup oak and a post oak. The bark on the tree also resembles either. When I first saw the first overcups, I thought it must be a swamp post oak, due to it looking a lot like a post oak.

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
In the second set of pics the leaves look like a cross between an overcup oak and a post oak. The bark on the tree also resembles either. When I first saw the first overcups, I thought it must be a swamp post oak, due to it looking a lot like a post oak.
I can see that. The acorns definitely don't look like overcup, but the leaves have an overcup appearance as well as post oak. The site would be more suited for an overcup oak than a post oak...... hmmm, this tree is a tricky.....

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I can see that. The acorns definitely don't look like overcup, but the leaves have an overcup appearance as well as post oak. The site would be more suited for an overcup oak than a post oak...... hmmm, this tree is a tricky.....

I recon I didn't put my final answer.:D

Hydrid post/overcup oak. It's in the white oak family, just hunt it!

kyle7630

Twelve Pointer
I recon I didn't put my final answer.:D

Hydrid post/overcup oak. It's in the white oak family, just hunt it!

LOL, that's my full intention as soon as they start dropping. There are a good number of these around my property. They all line the gullies and creek beds in a funnel between to decent blocks of woods. There are several oaks, white and red, in the same area that look a little tricky to me. Not hard to identify the southern whites, the pins, the reds and the willows, but there are a few funky looking ones that seem to have different characteristics from one leaf to the next.